Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kingston's HyperX SandForce SSD

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailindawg View Post
    @Russin & previous poster

Aren't your sequential write scores about half of what the spec is? Reading reviews & manufacturer specs, it seemed these drives are rated for 500 Mb/s sequential write. Are you using the most recent firmware for the drives?
    ATTO shows 504, however the other benches were showing 1XX Mb/s for this drive
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes, ATTO & Anvil's Bench seems to be reporting the sequential writes as the spec reads. What's with the other benchmark tests reporting sequential writes so low?
    Asrock Extreme 4 | 2600K | 16G G Skill | Powercolor LCS 7970 | PCP&C 910 Silencer | Crucial C300 + Intel X-25V + Raptors | D-Tek Fusion v2 | Swiftech MCR Drive 360 | HP LP2475

Question

I read somewhere (maybe on this forum, not sure) that declared SSD speed is based on ATTO benchmark (if that's true ).

My question is that speeds on benchmarks i post here is okay or not for 120GB HyperX?

I'm a little confused...

Xtreme Member
    Well my HyperX 120gb drive took a dump on me last week Thursday. Some of the system files went corrupt and I had to format it and reinstall my OS.
    If anyone is interested in fitness and/or nutrition hit me up if you'd like advice getting your girlish figure back I'm nearing 10 years of experience, how time flies.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @th3pwn3r

Did the drive corrupt from unstable clocks or is the drive up for RMA?

@k0pc1n4

Is that drive connected to a SATA III controller? Your sequential read is line with the drive's spec, but the sequential write spec is around 500 Mb/s, if connected to a SATA III controller.
    Asrock Extreme 4 | 2600K | 16G G Skill | Powercolor LCS 7970 | PCP&C 910 Silencer | Crucial C300 + Intel X-25V + Raptors | D-Tek Fusion v2 | Swiftech MCR Drive 360 | HP LP2475

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailindawg View Post
    @th3pwn3r

Did the drive corrupt from unstable clocks or is the drive up for RMA?
    It was weird, I was just sitting here browsing the web and my computer just shut down, didn't even BSOD or anything like that. So I went to restart and Windows7 wouldn't start because of corrupt files, I tried to restore it using my 7 disc but that didn't work so I had to do a fresh install. It's been working for about a week with no issues so I have my fingers crossed.
    If anyone is interested in fitness and/or nutrition hit me up if you'd like advice getting your girlish figure back I'm nearing 10 years of experience, how time flies.

@Sailindawg
    Yes, it is connected to SATA III controller.
    SSD will not reach over ~280MB/s in read/write speed (theoretically 300MB/s) if it is not connected on SATA III (6Gbps).

I check my results on on some reliable review and everything is okay (there is only 1-10MB/s difference).

Quote Originally Posted by k0pc1n4
    I read somewhere (maybe on this forum, not sure) that declared SSD speed is based on ATTO benchmark (if that's true ).
    There is it:
    ATTO Disk Benchmark is a testing product developed by storage product manufacture ATTO Technology Inc. The testing program dates back nearly a decade and is the sole performance indexing product chosen by storage product manufactures to deliver a generic set of performance numbers. ATTO Disk Benchmark measures raw performance and gives us the numbers quoted in a products specification list.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It seems that Anvil's benchmark & ATTO corroborate. Good to know that the manufacturer's utilize ATTO to derive their specs as well. Maybe AS & Crystal Mark need updating? to deal with new SSD controllers?

Been stalking these drives because of the increase in write performance compared to existing market. The only question that seems open on these drives is reliability.

Darkwand
    so guys, here is my quandry: I just bought 2 of these 120G ones, and I have the Intel DX58SO2 mobo. There is a long thread that I read on the Intel forums about how the SATA 3 ports on my mobo are only connected to a PCIe x1 lane. Meaning, when I raid0 the 2 drives, no matter what I do, I only get a speed that caps out at about 425M/s because the lane is saturated and locked at 5G/s per mobo design. How do I get around this???? I have looked around at Newegg and Amazon, and there doesn't seem to be a worthwhile RAID controlled card for under $500!! Did I just have the bad luck of buying the wrong mobo??!!?? This is *really* bothering me; I just spent $500 on the set of drives, and I really want to get the 800-1000M/s numbers that several people have been posting......

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwand View Post
    425M/s because the lane is saturated
    you need to buy an expensive new controller (only expensive controllers are best at SSD raid), or switch to a NEW motherboard with legitimate intel 6gbps. or, if you you listen to me, you'd sell both those ssds, stop chasing numbers, and get just one crucial m4.

Darkwand
    Umm. My current setup exceeds the specs of the m4 for 2/3rds of the price......

Xtreme Member
    So...I figured out my problem. It seems like the contacts on the drive aren't thick enough. They seem to lose the contact with the cable and then the drive is useless. After I wiggle things around a bit it works again, also I have tried a couple different cables now and it still seems to vibrate loose or something although it feels like the connection is tight...

Xtreme Member
    Drives look sick and when they work they are fast. Hope LSI cleans up the sandforce rep.

Darkwand
    actually, I ended up returning these drives. X58 chipset for the loss. If I can get a good raid controller, I might reconfigure, but I ended up getting a Revodrive 3 and so far I am very happy with it.

Xtreme Member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Like this ?

Xtreme Addict
    What controller are you using for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Darkwand
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmy View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Like this ?
    yeah. For whatever reason it only does 880M write, 975M read on my setup, but I think that is good enough.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    What controller are you using for this?
    Intel Sata 6 controller on Asus Z68 Pro MB in Raid 0 of course.

Darkwand
    yeah, the Z68 chipset, unfortunately not an option for me as I have LGA1366 :8

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    So...I figured out my problem. It seems like the contacts on the drive aren't thick enough. They seem to lose the contact with the cable and then the drive is useless. After I wiggle things around a bit it works again, also I have tried a couple different cables now and it still seems to vibrate loose or something although it feels like the connection is tight...
    And again. My computer locked up and I wiggle the connections at the drive and it comes back. I guess nobody else is having this problem...I'm keeping my side panel off forever.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    And again. My computer locked up and I wiggle the connections at the drive and it comes back. I guess nobody else is having this problem...I'm keeping my side panel off forever.
    Yeah ... I'm not having the problem. Sounds like a bad Sata port or Sata cable....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmy View Post
    Yeah ... I'm not having the problem. Sounds like a bad Sata port or Sata cable....
    I've already tried a few cables. It's definitely not the port on the motherboard itself because I haven't had to touch the cable there. I move the cable around at the drive itself and it'll work again, maybe it's just dirty and needs to be cleaned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12