Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 LastLast

Thread: [How to] fund your cruncher's utility bill OR how to make money using bitcoin

Xtreme Addict
    Humm... I've got my 3x 6990 miner working, but now I can't talk to my gf anymore. The living room is flooded with heat and noise... hottest core runs at about 102°C. Judging from folding on nv hardware it'll be okay for some time.

With increasing difficulties... is it better to join a big pool? BTCmine is 'only' at about 556GHash..
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ggdh View Post
    My main rig is WCed as well. But I left my 5870 at the University and put two 5830 WITHOUT disassembling the loop. 5870's waterblock just hangs there. When cards and new PSU will pay off I will get another 5870 with MCW60/80.

Also, I'm heaving problems setting BTCguild account. It seems I cannot add any workers. Should they appear on some kind of list?
    It seems that deepbit charges a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    Humm... I've got my 3x 6990 miner working, but now I can't talk to my gf anymore. The living room is flooded with heat and noise... hottest core runs at about 102°C. Judging from folding on nv hardware it'll be okay for some time.

With increasing difficulties... is it better to join a big pool? BTCmine is 'only' at about 556GHash..
    They all will pay out the same over time. Been at BTCMine going on a week and Im happy. Only 3 hours down time once in the middle of the night due to DDos but that was across many pools. Deepbit is having chronic issue's on my side, Guild is still ramping up, Slush my ping or something causes higher stales and they are attacked as much as Deepbit. Plus the pool luck is up at BTCMine atm.

I am Addicted!
    How to you transfer minining pools? do you have to cash out of current pool first? Also how do you get bitcoin manager to see your coins. I finally have a couple from btcguild that I seen on their site, but I never see any change on bitcoin
    I take it that coins have to be seen on bitcoing, then trnsfer to tradehill, then....?
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - May 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    How to you transfer minining pools? do you have to cash out of current pool first? Also how do you get bitcoin manager to see your coins. I finally have a couple from btcguild that I seen on their site, but I never see any change on bitcoin
    I take it that coins have to be seen on bitcoing, then trnsfer to tradehill, then....?
    To transfer to another pool, sign up at the new pool & create a worker then, (assuming you're using GUIMiner) create a new OpenCL miner with the info for the new pool, and just shut down the old miner and start the new one. You'll have an extra tab and the summary will let you click to choose which to run. Don't forget to save the new setup. You can leave the coins on the old pool if you might come back or cash out.
    You need to go to your "My Account" on BTCGuild and use the PAY ME NOW button to get your coins into your wallet. It should show up right away as "0/Unconfirmed" then it'll get confirmed over a couple of hours. Then you can transfer it to an exchange and sell it for cash, or keep it in your grubby little hands!

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

I am Addicted!
    Quote Originally Posted by don_xvi View Post
    To transfer to another pool, sign up at the new pool & create a worker then, (assuming you're using GUIMiner) create a new OpenCL miner with the info for the new pool, and just shut down the old miner and start the new one. You'll have an extra tab and the summary will let you click to choose which to run. Don't forget to save the new setup. You can leave the coins on the old pool if you might come back or cash out.
    You need to go to your "My Account" on BTCGuild and use the PAY ME NOW button to get your coins into your wallet. It should show up right away as "0/Unconfirmed" then it'll get confirmed over a couple of hours. Then you can transfer it to an exchange and sell it for cash, or keep it in your grubby little hands!
    Thanks Don; I appreciate the help

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Anyone know what caused the total BTC Network throughput to crash from 12TH/s to 8TH/s? Curious if this also is responsible for the price crash that is currently occurring?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Anyone know what caused the total BTC Network throughput to crash from 12TH/s to 8TH/s? Curious if this also is responsible for the price crash that is currently occurring?
    Wouldn't it be the opposite?

Price crash (less demand) => more miners shutting down rigs
    network crash (less supply) => price increase
    XS WCG: Voiding warranties for a good cause. Join us!

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by artemm View Post
    Wouldn't it be the opposite?

Price crash (less demand) => more miners shutting down rigs
    network crash (less supply) => price increase
    Not if there was some widespread change like say a government investigation in BTC. That's what I'm curious. I do know there is a wallet stealing virus floating about. Curious if something else like that also caused a bunch of miners to shut down.

Xtreme Member
    Price is going down and people are shuting down the business. Well I know a guy who are going to sell his miners with 20 xfx 5870, because "he wants to sell it, before everyone will want to sell cards". People are scared already - mostly those who JUST bought their hardware and want to take their money back - at least for the hardware.

Xtreme Member
    Just got the time to set up a miner to make use of spare time on my humble GTX 460, and I'm having a very weird problem: most GPU miners cause my driver to crash after they're closed, and when the driver restarts, it is forever stuck at 2D clocks until I reboot. poclbm (OpenCL) and rpcminer (both CUDA and OpenCL) reliably trigger the crash every single time: pressing the close button = blank screen, 'driver has reset' message, and a one way passage to 2D-clocks-land (or a hard crash).

phoenix does not cause this, but it is also a good 15MHashes/s slower. "A driver problem" I thought. Tried the last 4 NVIDIA drivers I had laying around (260.99, 266.58, 270.51, and the latest 275.33), each after a pass of Driver Sweeper, and nothing changes. "Maybe the factory OC of 800MHz is the problem: maybe it was never actually stable."; not really, reference GTX 460 clocks still crash. And my daily OC of 840/1680/2000 is 3h Furmark stable and has never crashed any games.

My setup:

2500K @ 4.6GHz (tested to be stable, but reverting to stock didn't change anything)
    Win7 x64 SP1 Professional
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum (factory OC'ed to 800/1600/2000, but reverting to 675/1350/1800 didn't help)

poclbm-mod 04.20.2011rev3
    rpcminer-cuda / rpcminer-opencl 20110227
    phoenix 1.5.0

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by totalz View Post
    Price is going down and people are shuting down the business. Well I know a guy who are going to sell his miners with 20 xfx 5870, because "he wants to sell it, before everyone will want to sell cards". People are scared already - mostly those who JUST bought their hardware and want to take their money back - at least for the hardware.
    Well I'd be glad to take a 5870 off someone's hands at discount
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    It's a glitch that happens every time the difficulty changes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speed-lin-10k.png 
Views:	660 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	116349  

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Wow that's weird....

Here's some info I found on it, or at least how to possibly correct it (but at a risk of losing data)
    http://www.howtohaven.com/system/cha...ignature.shtml
    Couldn't be doing that.... I moved it again to another rig and all showed up just fine.

On the original rig I followed a hunch and found that this drive will no longer run in ahci mode. I guess I must try checking the MB too this weekend. Thanks for the link though it did help.

Edit: Yay! I just noticed that smilies are working....Yes, I know, old and slow
    Last edited by OldChap; 06-17-2011 at 01:35 PM.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme 3D Team
    Hey guys, -
    Wanted to let you know that Linux miners do not need a monitor connected to every GPU...in fact you dont need to hotplug either.
    Smile

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Hey guys, -
    Wanted to let you know that Linux miners do not need a monitor connected to every GPU...in fact you dont need to hotplug either.
    Yup. Found that out the hard way after purchasing a bunch of resistors for dummy plugs.

Also, Linux is free

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    It's a glitch that happens every time the difficulty changes.
    Good to know someone tragic hadn't happened.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Hey guys, -
    Found this on another forum, I have not tried it yet.
    The registry change should allow you to run a GPU in windows without a monitor or dummy plug.

Go to registry and disable Ulps:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Cl ass\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

and change "EnableUlps" to 0 under the 0000 and 0001 or 0003 keys.

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

Xtreme Cruncher
    Anybody trying to run a headless miner on windows should look into TightVNC.

It allows you to remote into your machine, but your machine thinks you are at the keyboard and activates the GFX cards.

I was having problems using remote desktop while i was away on business, but TightVNC solved the problem.
    If you log-in with remote desktop windows does not activate the GFX cards.

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

Xtreme Cruncher
    Can we get a sticky on this?
    I've been posting links to it on the bitcoin.org forum. Good work!

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Xtreme Cruncher
    hey guys, i'm gonna finally sign up for a tradehill account to cash in some of my BTC. who's referral code should i use when making an account?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Addicted!
    I donot recall who posted last; I will be signing up soon as well so I can cash in a few coins. I would like to hold out to at least $20/coin; will see

Xtreme Gamer
    Mt Gox is also up and trading again. Not sure if they are to be trusted anymore, but since tradehill is only for people living in the US im happy Mt Gox is back
    Intel i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz 24/7
    Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
    Asus Radeon HD 6990
    Corsair Dominator GT 6GB
    Corsair AX1200, 600T
    Intel X25-M 160GB
    Dell U3011 30" Monitor

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I donot recall who posted last; I will be signing up soon as well so I can cash in a few coins. I would like to hold out to at least $20/coin; will see
    how about i register with the referral code of the last person that posted it in this thread, and you can register using my code

EDIT: i went back a couple pages and i think [XC] gomeler was the last one, so i registered under his referral code. here is my code just registered: TH-R111869
    Last edited by WhiteFireDragon; 06-30-2011 at 12:22 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Guys, what are your thoughts about future of bitcoin? Any wild guess how the price will change in a next few weeks?
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Xtreme Addict
    Dunno what will happen the next few weeks but the slight downwards pricing trend for sure made some people flee from mining:

Good thing about this is that rise in difficulty won't be as steep as it's been.
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 LastLast