Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: [How to] fund your cruncher's utility bill OR how to make money using bitcoin

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by don_xvi View Post
    There's a new exchange open now, it seems to be run by (or at least endorsed by) a respected member of the bitcoin community. It's got a lot of payout methods available, hopefully short-circuiting the hassles involved with Mt. Gox.

https://www.tradehill.com/User/Register

They've got a referral program. We can pass referrals along to each other to help our little WCG community here. My referral code is TH-R1494. Mods please delete if a referral isn't kosher. It seems that if we all use the last guy's referral code when signing up, we can save the guy above us on his commission. Just copy the code from the guy above, unless you all want to use mine for posting!

I just signed up and threw a coin at it, we'll see how it all works out, it's got to be at least as good as Mt. Gox.
    Done. My referal code is: TH-R1516

Let us know how it works. I'd try it out but I just transfered mine to Mt Gox.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Fanboy of Good Products
    Mine is TH-R1518.
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Working on getting a sub-forum dedicated to Bitcoin. This way we'll be able to chitchat about Bitcoin without flooding the WCG forum.

I'd also say chances are BTC is a good thing for WCG. For example it'll have me crunching away on the CPUs used to host my BTC farm
    Is there a ton of excitement in the other DC subforums here?
    With the obvious exception of the Folding/GPUGrid forums...
    Last edited by don_xvi; 06-08-2011 at 05:40 PM.

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

I've been peeking in on this thread for a while now and also checking the exchange rate.

I'm beginning to wonder if bitcoin is Dutch for tulip.
    http://www.businessweek.com/2000/00_17/b3678084.htm
    Last edited by pirogue; 06-09-2011 at 05:49 AM.

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by pirogue View Post
    I've been peeking in on this thread for a while now and also checking the exchange rate.

I'm beginning to wonder if bitcoin is Dutch for tulip.
    http://www.investopedia.com/features...s/crashes2.asp
    Wow that site was insta-malware pop-up/fake scanner! Thanks

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Cruncher
    This https://www.tradehill.com/User/Register looks GREAT so far! If it transfers my cash...
    It just came on live today, so I didn't link it to my bank account, but they can transfer funds directly into your bank for free in the typical 1-3 days. You can also send your money to PayPal but you pay the PayPal fees. I sent money to my Amazon Payments account, no fee, claimed response time of less than 24 hours.
    And I got a rate that compared favorably with the next time I checked Mt. Gox.

Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Xtreme Cruncher
    This https://www.tradehill.com/User/Register looks GREAT so far! If it transfers my cash...
    It just came on live today, so I didn't link it to my bank account, but they can transfer funds directly into your bank for free in the typical 1-3 days. You can also send your money to PayPal but you pay the PayPal fees. I sent money to my Amazon Payments account, no fee, claimed response time of less than 24 hours.
    And I got a rate that compared favorably with the next time I checked Mt. Gox.

Xtreme Addict
    At this juncture, building a mining rig will take a very long time to break even. You're better buying bitcoins.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Fanboy of Good Products
    so the past couple days i had to turn off Boinc until I got my psu situation figured out, and turning on boinc cuts my mhash/sec from 260 to 80.. what's up with that?

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Cruncher
    Tradehill.com is working GREAT so far! Quick to accept my coin I transferred in, good exchange rate, and the transfer into my Amazon Payments account (with no fee) has been "Initiated". Amazon tells me
    Bank Account transactions usually take about 5-7 business days. This duration is dependent on your financial institution. Your transaction status will be shown as "Pending" until the transaction completes in 5-7 business days.
    Everyone ditch Mt. Gox and the secondary processor you have to use and switch over here!
    Since I proposed to always use the referral code of the guy above, Shoota's is TH-R1518. But if the thread gets confused and you want to thank me , mine is TH-R1494. But someone needs to give him his so our system of providing for the XS WCG family keeps working!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Tradehill.com is working GREAT so far! Quick to accept my coin I transferred in, good exchange rate, and the transfer into my Amazon Payments account (with no fee) has been "Initiated". Amazon tells me
    Bank Account transactions usually take about 5-7 business days. This duration is dependent on your financial institution. Your transaction status will be shown as "Pending" until the transaction completes in 5-7 business days.
    Everyone ditch Mt. Gox and the secondary processor you have to use and switch over here!
    Since I proposed to always use the referral code of the guy above, Shoota's is TH-R1518. But if the thread gets confused and you want to thank me , mine is TH-R1494. But someone needs to give him his so our system of providing for the XS WCG family keeps working!

If you want to watch an hour long show about bitcoin and Tradehill, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sEXmVsiVqM

NooB MOD
    Mine is TH-R1887
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    so the past couple days i had to turn off Boinc until I got my psu situation figured out, and turning on boinc cuts my mhash/sec from 260 to 80.. what's up with that?
    Post #1...

CPU usage is through the roof and/or BOINC is slowing down GUI miner
    Your poclbm.exe tasks are using up an entire CPU thread per card? This is a bug that happens mainly on Windows 7 x64 with multiple GPUs. Single GPU miners do not have this problem. 32Bit Windows didn't help for me - WinXP might work. Running Linux definitely helps.
    However, there is at least a partial work around: If you lock the affinity of each poclbm.exe instance to the same CPU core (and not all cores), all running miners will share that one CPU thread/core and not use up more than 1 in total. It's not ideal but better than losing 2, 3, 4 etc threads.
    If WCG is slowing down the GUIminer, either increase the priority of the running poclbm.exe threads or leave 1 CPU thread/core free via BOINC settings.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

NooB MOD
    That's not entirely correct. I have one card but I normally see about 15% usage coming from poclbm.exe on my hexacore system.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Fanboy of Good Products
    Yeah I only have one GPU too so I didn't think that was my problem. I'll try leaving one thread free in boinc settings

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Legend
    I freed up one thread for this but maybe if we can do something with running it below normal with Boinc at idle that might be better.

Now that things are running I can take a look at affinity some

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Just to be sure: when I want to run guiminer on a second rig i simply have to put my email and password there and hit start? Do I have to configure something on my deepbit account?
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I still have withdraws from Mt.Gox dating back to Sunday which have not showed up in my Dwolla account. I don't know if they are just that backed up or what, but I am going to try and switch over to TradeHill and give that a try.

Seems like the rate I am getting 1 coin is way slower since yesterday, did the difficulty jump that much? Luckily my 5830's arrive today!

Work/Game System - ~24/7 WCG
    ASUS P8P67 PRO / i7 2600k @ 4.1Ghz / Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 / 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9

HTPC -~24/7 WCG
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 / i7 2600k @ 4.0Ghz / Sapphire Radeon HD5830 / 2x2GB Mushkin Enhanced Essentials @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9

XS WCG Team Forum - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Wow that site was insta-malware pop-up/fake scanner! Thanks
    If it does, I apologize. I'm running Ad Block Plus on firefox and didn't notice anything. I just tried it in IE with no blocking software and it didn't pop up anything.

Please delete the quote or at least the link.

I changed the link to another site: http://www.businessweek.com/2000/00_17/b3678084.htm

I am Xtreme
    Tradehill.com is working GREAT so far! Quick to accept my coin I transferred in, good exchange rate, and the transfer into my Amazon Payments account (with no fee) has been "Initiated".

Tradehill looks like a nice site, thanks for bringing it up.
    We'll see how it fares, so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    Mine is TH-R1887
    Used yours, my referral is TH-R11084.
    Last edited by zalbard; 06-09-2011 at 06:11 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom128 View Post
    I still have withdraws from Mt.Gox dating back to Sunday which have not showed up in my Dwolla account. I don't know if they are just that backed up or what, but I am going to try and switch over to TradeHill and give that a try.

Seems like the rate I am getting 1 coin is way slower since yesterday, did the difficulty jump that much? Luckily my 5830's arrive today!
    Yes, they've made a brief posting on rededit saying they're completely overloaded with the manual work involved in processing the transactions. They're saying they haven't run off with our money, at least. Everyone is complaining and based on the 11xxx referral number, it sounds like TradeHill is growing quickly! I'm a fan.
    As for getting coins slower, I thought the difficulty went up earlier in the week, but I'm certainly noticing it as well. It's forecast to jump a TON in less than a week, I think I read that it's limited to a 400% increase in difficulty per jump. With all the new power coming online, it'll keep getting a lot harder.

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    That's not entirely correct. I have one card but I normally see about 15% usage coming from poclbm.exe on my hexacore system.
    Yeah I only have one GPU too so I didn't think that was my problem. I'll try leaving one thread free in boinc settings
    That's kinda weird then... I am running 3 rigs with 1 GPU each, none of which shows ANY CPU load for gui miner. Only my multi GPU setups are eating 1 thread per card if I don't set core affinity manually.
    All Win7 x64, latest 11.5 Cat (although one of them runs the 2.1 SDK)
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Have any of you esteemed members of our tight community here actually gotten your money from Mt. Gox into Dwolla and into your bank?
    I've read that it can take days for money to get from Mt. Gox to Dwolla, but don't like how it feels waiting on faith based on posts from all manner of people I have no connection to (i.e. at bitcoin.org).
    i have received funds into my bank account that came from MtGox > Dwolla > Bank Account.

it will work, but it takes time.

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

Xtreme Cruncher
    Use the "-f value" flag for getting the display to lag less, -f 60 is a pretty good value that keeps my PC atleast on a normal response time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I used your referral Otis, simply because your TF2 avatar wins

TH-R1637 is mine, lets see if this works!

Work/Game System - ~24/7 WCG
    ASUS P8P67 PRO / i7 2600k @ 4.1Ghz / Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 / 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9

HTPC -~24/7 WCG
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 / i7 2600k @ 4.0Ghz / Sapphire Radeon HD5830 / 2x2GB Mushkin Enhanced Essentials @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9

XS WCG Team Forum - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast