Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Thread: [How to] fund your cruncher's utility bill OR how to make money using bitcoin

Shut down bitcoin. But I'm keeping the wallet file with my 0.01 coins in it in case I get a card later that can actually do something
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Re: 5830s... They got posted over on the bitcoin forums, too. Those folks scooped up a bunch!

Also, here's a payoff schedule for different cards: http://www.bitminer.info/

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Quote Originally Posted by don_xvi View Post
    Re: 5830s... They got posted over on the bitcoin forums, too. Those folks scooped up a bunch!

Also, here's a payoff schedule for different cards: http://www.bitminer.info/
    That calc looks off, no way I was pulling $3 a day from my 4870...
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    That calc looks off, no way I was pulling $3 a day from my 4870...
    TBH, you should be getting over $4 per day at the current (insane) rates.

Try tweaking drivers by installing 2.1.

A user with 2.1 was able to attain 104 Mhash/s with guiminer.

Comments: "-w 256 -f 1, Windows 7 64-Bit, GPU Core OC to 830 MHz, GPU Memory UC to 190 MHz (saves 30 Watt at outlet)"
    XS WCG: Voiding warranties for a good cause. Join us!

I have 10.12 drivers with 2.1 installed. Sitting around 80-90 Mhash/s typically but what I see coming up on the site doesn't look very promising. Maybe I'm not giving enough time.

My GPU core is overclocked to the highest CCC will allow (790 MHz).

What does the -w 256 -f 1 stuff mean or do?

One thing I don't particularly like is how this severely affects the usability of my PC. Makes it feel like an old ancient box lol, just viewing the smiley's list in the reply box makes everything run at like 2 fps

*edit* I guess the unconfirmed rewards does equal 0.04 bitcoins now, that might be getting a little closer to being worth something. Eventually. Hm. I might keep this running for a few days and I'll just put up with the display lag. 0% CPU usage thankfully, just hammers the GPU.
    Last edited by Sparky; 06-07-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    the 5830's on newegg for $109 were a great deal. i'm glad I got two
    My stock 5850 is around 275 Mhash/s, drops to low 200's though if do pretty much anything on the comp. It's also worth noting that my daily payout on BTC Guild gets lower each day (not even going to make it to .4 bitcoins today lol), probably has something to do with everyone here and their many gpus

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFireDragon View Post
    i just saw this thread earlier this morning, and skimmed through all the FAQ about bitcoin and mining, and here are my thoughts:

crunching and folding has always been a donation of your hardware and resources to help the research you believe in, in hopes of a cure being found one day. bitcoin mining is the exact opposite, there are no work units to crunch/fold, and the results are purely selfish because the money goes into your own pocket.

I gotta say I generally agree with WFD's sentiments. I've resisted the temptation to make value judgements about bitcoin in this thread, but at this point I find it very troubling that it has completely dominated the discussion here over the past week. As WFD notes, bitcoin has nothing to do with charity, scientific research, finding cures, philanthropy, goodwill, or any of the other things that brought us to this forum. It's about easy money. Period. Crunching...folding...these DC efforts unquestionably create something new, something positive for the world. In my opinion, Bitcoin creates nothing and does nothing - except separate fools from their money.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to jcool or anyone else participating in this thread, and I'm not against anyone making a quick buck. But in my opinion, this discussion just doesn't belong here - especially since there are plenty of forums on the net that are 100% devoted to the subject. (there, I said it)

Maybe I'm pissing into the wind here. Maybe a very strong wind. In any case, I do stand willing to have my mind changed if anyone wants to share a different perspective.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have a difficult decision to make: I bought 2x5830 for my parents. And I didn't know that each will require 2x6pin. But my parents' psu will handle only one (1x6pin + 2 molex). So another one will sit in a box for another month before I will move out from Ireland. Should I buy a new PSU (COOLERMASTER Ultimate UCP 700W has 4x6pin) for ~100$? There's always a chance that this bubble will burst anytime
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Fanboy of Good Products
    I'd say yes. No point in letting a gpu just sit there idle
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by SMTB1963 View Post

I gotta say I generally agree with WFD's sentiments. I've resisted the temptation to make value judgements about bitcoin in this thread, but at this point I find it very troubling that it has completely dominated the discussion here over the past week. As WFD notes, bitcoin has nothing to do with charity, scientific research, finding cures, philanthropy, goodwill, or any of the other things that brought us to this forum. It's about easy money. Period. Crunching...folding...these DC efforts unquestionably create something new, something positive for the world. In my opinion, Bitcoin creates nothing and does nothing - except separate fools from their money.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to jcool or anyone else participating in this thread, and I'm not against anyone making a quick buck. But in my opinion, this discussion just doesn't belong here - especially since there are plenty of forums on the net that are 100% devoted to the subject. (there, I said it)

Maybe I'm pissing into the wind here. Maybe a very strong wind. In any case, I do stand willing to have my mind changed if anyone wants to share a different perspective.
    I'm pretty sure a lot of us are going to get new crunchers out of this. I know I'm planning on it.

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Enthusiast

I think the main reason it is in here is that people in this forum often have two things: A big electric bill, and alot of empty PCIe slots, both because of efforts to eradicate diseases. I don't think the idea of plugging in extra pieces of hardware onto a pre-existing crunching rigs with the purpose of making money to offset costs is such a bad thing. Just my 2 cents.

Work/Game System - ~24/7 WCG
    ASUS P8P67 PRO / i7 2600k @ 4.1Ghz / Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 / 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9

HTPC -~24/7 WCG
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 / i7 2600k @ 4.0Ghz / Sapphire Radeon HD5830 / 2x2GB Mushkin Enhanced Essentials @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9

XS WCG Team Forum - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'd say yes. No point in letting a gpu just sit there idle
    It's on its way I will have 5870+2x5830 running. And than back to crunching
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by ggdh View Post
    It's on its way I will have 5870+2x5830 running. And than back to crunching
    Cool! I can't wait to get all mine setup so i can turn on some more crunchers with the electricity paid for

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Addict
    How about we make an picture thread for btc miners?! =)
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Have any of you esteemed members of our tight community here actually gotten your money from Mt. Gox into Dwolla and into your bank?
    I've read that it can take days for money to get from Mt. Gox to Dwolla, but don't like how it feels waiting on faith based on posts from all manner of people I have no connection to (i.e. at bitcoin.org).

Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Fanboy of Good Products
    I'm wondering the exact same thing

T400 for non-crunching

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by don_xvi View Post
    Have any of you esteemed members of our tight community here actually gotten your money from Mt. Gox into Dwolla and into your bank?
    I've read that it can take days for money to get from Mt. Gox to Dwolla, but don't like how it feels waiting on faith based on posts from all manner of people I have no connection to (i.e. at bitcoin.org).
    I received a few thousand already via Mt.Gox->Dwolla->Bank account. Just be sure to file your taxes correct the feds are aware of that transaction chain and they are reported.

Mt.Gox -> Dwolla ~2-3 days sometimes 1
    Dwolla -> Bank ~2-4 days to clear.

Fanboy of Good Products
    And how exactly do you report this correctly?

T400 for non-crunching

Devil kept pokin'
    And how exactly do you report this correctly?
    I suggest you talk to a tax agent. It could be claimed several different ways depending on your situation.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    I received a few thousand already via Mt.Gox->Dwolla->Bank account. Just be sure to file your taxes correct the feds are aware of that transaction chain and they are reported.
    This has me concerned.

Will i be receiving a statement from Mt.Gox for my yearly earnings?
    Or do i just report my earnings at tax time?
    Should i run it like a business and set up revenue and expense tracking?

I am thinking i will run this like a business and see what happens. (time to make a new spreadsheet)

so far my new business has quite a loss.

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    I received ...already via Mt.Gox->Dwolla->Bank account.
    Mt.Gox -> Dwolla ~2-3 days sometimes 1
    Dwolla -> Bank ~2-4 days to clear.
    Thanks. I just wanted a confidence boost!
    Now I just lost out on TWO 5870s I was trying to get my hands on.

Xtreme Cruncher

you know you are 100% right when you day it is the exact opposite. however in my situation I am doing even more WCG than I was before. The power costs in my part of the country have gone up 66% this year alone and running dedicated crunchers was becoming impossible do to power. however now that I have a few systems that can make me money by having them on it allows me to run Bitcoin on my GPU and WCG on my CPU on a machine that normally would have been turned off. so it's a win win.

that how it is for me anyways. I am sure there are other like me and others that are just in it for maximum money. however I know personally that if this seems to work out for a little while I will be buying as many new machines as possible with dual 6990's and 2600k's meaning I get to add more 2600ks to WCG that I would have not have been able to before.

just my 2 cents.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] hipno650 View Post
    you know you are 100% right when you day it is the exact opposite. however in my situation I am doing even more WCG than I was before. The power costs in my part of the country have gone up 66% this year alone and running dedicated crunchers was becoming impossible do to power. however now that I have a few systems that can make me money by having them on it allows me to run Bitcoin on my GPU and WCG on my CPU on a machine that normally would have been turned off. so it's a win win.

that how it is for me anyways. I am sure there are other like me and others that are just in it for maximum money. however I know personally that if this seems to work out for a little while I will be buying as many new machines as possible with dual 6990's and 2600k's meaning I get to add more 2600ks to WCG that I would have not have been able to before.

just my 2 cents.
    This.

jcool should get a pat on the back for posting this. If anything, it's putting MORE work into WCG not only because the profits will most likely be reinvested, but because it's allowing more people to financially justify their machines.

There will always be a way to abuse any new technology and evil people will find it. However, it doesn't mean that the technology itself is evil and can't be put to good use (like a perfect side project to crunching WCG.)
    XS WCG: Voiding warranties for a good cause. Join us!

Fanboy of Good Products
    now if only we could get wcg to run on nvidia gpu's. but i digress.. sigh

edit: crap btc are $30 a piece right now and BTCGuild is down ugh!
    Last edited by shoota; 06-08-2011 at 11:29 AM.

T400 for non-crunching

no its not : new site http://www.btcguild.com.
    Try my multi-threaded prime benchmark!
    If you like it and want to see more - bitcoin me!!
    1MrPonziaM4QT2S7SdPEKQH88BGa4LRHJU
    1HaxXoRZhMLxMJwJ52VfAqanSuLuh8CCki
    1ZomGoxrBqyVdBvHwPLEERsGGQAtc3jHp
    1L33thAxKo1GqRWRYP5ZCK4EjTMUTHFsc8

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast