Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 152223242526 LastLast

Thread: [How to] fund your cruncher's utility bill OR how to make money using bitcoin

Xtreme Addict
    omfg wow this guy lost 25000 bitcoins!!! at the time that was like half a million!!

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=16457.0
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Fanboy of Good Products
    Yeah that's kinda old news, but it was one of the biggest early thefts and served as a pretty good lesson about protecting your wallet.dat file. I doubt many people have even remotely close to that many BTC now though. I can't imagine losing that much money, why in the world was he holding on to that many coins anyway!?
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I didnt read the whole thing but I would like to know what kind of hardware did he have to find that many blocks per day. Or was it really that easy back then in 2010?
    Main Rig

Gigabyte z78x-OC Bios F5n
    i7-4770k batch L310B492 Malay @ 4.5ghz with HT 1.2v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD (boot drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port4
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Suppreme HF Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Server
    HAF 932
    Gigabyte z77x-UD3H F13
    i7-3770S batch 3212B621 supports VT-D and low power
    32GB 4x8gb Muskin Enhanced Blackline 10-10-10-27@1.65v
    Vmware vSphere ESXi 5.0u1
    4x500GB Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D Raid 10 on a IBM M1015 <- DataStore
    Sapphire HD 5850

Fanboy of Good Products
    I think it really was that easy back then
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Addict
    yeah that's crazy...i mean i cant imagine losing all that.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acebmxer View Post
    Or was it really that easy back then in 2010?
    Yeah, it was easy. I started mining earlier than this "boom of bitcoin" showed up, but later than those who started this :P

In december 2010 I was mining with 1,2 GH/s (4x 6950 stock) and could manage to get away with 40-50 BTC per day easily. And for 2 months I was selling them for 0,3-0,5 $ like an idiot

When I imagine I'd save them and sell when they were for 32 $.... I could mine more than 1000 BTC per month with those 4 cards back then... Now I've got 4,2 GH/s and can manage to mine about 60-70 BTC per month.. :| So yes, in 2010 it was easy. The more miners = The harder mining is... Now difficulty is terrible, considering price..

Xtreme Cruncher
    If the price will not go up the difficulty should stay as it is (judging from bitcoinwatch).

Can you see a correlation between BTC economy and other markets (stocks around the world)? After 2nd August markets plummeted down and BTC followed...

Bottom line: buy - buy - buy!
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Xtreme Addict

Thumbs up

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen.....I'm in. Just wanted to say that this "How to" guide is still good. Thanx, jcool!

Currently, I'm in on an old gigabyte, Q9450 and a racing 8800GTS (~30 Mhash/s). Yeah, I know, but it's the only rig that I have running atm...and I use the s-video to connect this pc to the TV. I was just looking to get the details sorted out, but I'm in and it's working.

I just ordered a Sabertooth x58 a few days ago, and still have a 5870 and a 5850....so that will be up and running this coming week. I have everything, except the cards and a MB, for another i7 920 rig, so that maybe coming in short order.

I've just spent 6 hrs or more on the BTC crash course...reading around trying to get my head wrapped around a lot of this. Going to get things setup with the PCs, and then check into probably Butterfly Labs stuff. Seems really inexpensive for output.

I've got to get a bit better gauge on all of this. I'm aware of the coming 50% pay cut, etc, but still need to check out the overall logistics....but, hey, it might be time to build another farm! I'm still running the large res + chiller. Works great.

Seems used 5870s are ~$150 shipped and 5850s are ~$110 shipped...is the output of the 5870 worth the extra $40?

Xtreme Legend
    Wow, long time no see Naja,

I have to say that I dropped out of this due to cost of electricity but have kept track in case things change

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I dropped out when i got my electric bill of $2730 for 3 months.
    no way was i making that much in bitcoins.

Ninja, before you go into bitcoins. i have to ask how much u paying for electricity?
    I pay 9¢ per KW but after line transmission fees and stuff its closer to ¢15 a KW.
    it wasn't financially viable for me to run my hardware.

still have a bunch of bitcoins though so i'm just waiting for the price to go up a lot higher before i cash out.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by MadHacker View Post

Ninja, before you go into bitcoins. i have to ask how much u paying for electricity?
    I pay 9¢ per KW but after line transmission fees and stuff its closer to ¢15 a KW.

still have a bunch of bitcoins though so i'm just waiting for the price to go up a lot higher before i cash out.
    I might be able to pay something like 10 years of electricity with that ( not joking).
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Wow, long time no see Naja,

I have to say that I dropped out of this due to cost of electricity but have kept track in case things change

Yeah, I've been away from the whole crunching scene for a little over a yr. Away from GPUGrid for almost 2. Times flys...

Right now, it has finally inched it's way up to $0.10/Kwh, so I am not quite sure how economically viable this is. However, I picked up the sabertooth a few days ago to get back into crunching...and that just costs money, so BTC can't be all bad.

I plan on going back to heating this place with the crunchers during the winter. It costs as much or more just to run the heater, than it does to supplement it with the crunchers. If I can break even, or even turn a small profit than I am ahead of games past.

Oh, BTW, that $0.10/Kwh is Kwh used v total bill.
    Last edited by Naja002; 07-22-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well when i was running my miners... the heat in the house didn't click on until it was -20 DegC outside.
    but it only cost $250 a month to heat the house when its -40 Deg so it doesn't make finantial cents to run mining rigs.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

Xtreme Addict
    When I was crunching before...it was all charity. Cash out of my pocket. A one-way street. So, it's not likely that I'm going to get seriously wrapped up in the overall "profitability" of this project. Some financial compensation is a whole lot better than what I'm used to. I ordered the Sabertooth with the intent of doing more charity, so anything is more than what I expected. This thing may have to go the way of the FPGAs (or whatever they are) in order to remain viable.

The biggest question I have about the long-term viability of BTC is: There are only going to be 21 million coins produced, then, according to the project....there will never be another one. So, then what happens? The only incentive that I can see to continue processing hashes would be for a "processing fee". We become "bankers". With a limited currency, and the inability to continue to pay with currency created out of thin air...the only incentive is to pay with already created currency, ie. a "processing fee".

Quote Originally Posted by CedricFP View Post
    Also, do the mining pools pay out in bitcoins or in hard currency?

It strikes me as odd that people are gambling on a new currency in its infancy by buying bitcoins.
    they are paying out on bitcoin , you can sell them to one exchange site for cash

Xtreme Cruncher
    @ naja002 back!

Xtreme Mentor
    is the OP still the correct way to start bitcoin mining?
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nope GPU is now to slow
    U need a ASIC miner
    http://www.butterflylabs.com/

Xtreme Cruncher
    nope GPU is now to slow
    U need a ASIC miner
    http://www.butterflylabs.com/
    I strongly suggest buying ASIC miner which is readily available. Do not get into pre-orders. Look for companies which have ready-to-ship products or simply get it on amazon (like block erupter blade).

I guess that the easiest way of getting on BTC train is to actually buy BTC.
    SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Xtreme Cruncher

Back from the Dead
    Wow... seems like an eternity since I wrote up that guide. So much has changed since then...
    Maybe I'll re-write it someday, but for now I'm not sure I would recommend getting into mining to anyone.

I heavily invested in ASICs last fall and it did pay off... but not the way I was hoping it would. As it stands, I will probably have to sell them off soon considering our utilty costs have gone through the roof.
    Also one of the major reasons why I don't crunch any more. The other is that my dad passed away last month, so I kinda lost faith in it all

I'll try to be around again though. Maybe when I get a new rig up and running, I'll get my faded interest back.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Wow... seems like an eternity since I wrote up that guide. So much has changed since then...
    Maybe I'll re-write it someday, but for now I'm not sure I would recommend getting into mining to anyone.

I heavily invested in ASICs last fall and it did pay off... but not the way I was hoping it would. As it stands, I will probably have to sell them off soon considering our utilty costs have gone through the roof.
    Also one of the major reasons why I don't crunch any more. The other is that my dad passed away last month, so I kinda lost faith in it all

I'll try to be around again though. Maybe when I get a new rig up and running, I'll get my faded interest back.
    Dang man! Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm really speechless when this tough situations sadly show up.
    All my best

Juan

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post

Hey everything gets better with time.

I remember when you created this thread and I started to mine a couple days later. I had so many bitcoins and you now what I did with them......nothing. I reformatted over hard drives that had 50-100 or more. I thought it was a joke when I heard how much money they were going for in December.

I'm over it now but omg I could have used the extra money.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I had my bitcoins at MTGOX,
    well we can guess, I don't have any now

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I had my bitcoins at MTGOX,
    well we can guess, I don't have any now
    oh man I heard about that. Is there any chance to recover?

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 152223242526 LastLast