Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New radiators: airplex modularity system

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by nvmc View Post
    Mind confirming what the tubes are actually made of?
    Also, will be interesting to see performance numbers, flat tubes tend to perform considerably better if I'm not mistaken.
    I was starting to think I was the only one to have "issues" with tube design. At best, I see these matching what we have now.

They do look great though...especially the all copper version.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    I thought the whole point of these was modularity rather than performance?

And, unless I am mistaken, it seems this kind of modularity/flexibility really only pays for itself when you're constantly switching rad configurations.

For example, if you were a tester or just kept rebuilding your loop with different cases etc.

But it does look extremely nice. That all copper version... man, where do I insert my...
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking good and seems to be a lot for the price if I may add. But performance is key, so will wait for some performance figures.

Noob Overclocker
    Loving the innovation.
    Typical these sorts of things always get released just after I complete a build!
    Zombie Killer Corsair 700D with Quad Rad mod+240 rad mod/Asus Maximus III Formula/i5 750 @ 4Ghz/8GB GSkill Trident/HIS HD 6990/Dell u2711/120GB Kingston SSD Now!/All under EK watercooling goodness!
    HTPC Lian Li V354B/i5 750/4GB Corsair/MSI HD5770/60GB GSkill Phoenix/Corsair H50/EVGA P55 Micro SLi

Xtreme Guru
    Hmm, i'd prefer flattened tube waterpaths to round ones aswell, but otherwise VERY interesting rad/module line. Especially interesting to me seems that integrated module with flow sensor/fan controller and so on .. Shoggy: can you elaborate on it's details?
    All-copper rad core also might have extra win (I recall magicool's plexi rads .. while they were notorious for cracking of their plexi ends, pure cooling performance wise they outperformed common painted rads like RX & PA while being thinner then them, both at quiet and medium fan rpm ranges).

CedricFP: imho modularity might help for when moving LC gear to other case, where because of size you might wish to add or remove some rad section.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm wondering if the cooling pipes are just boring round pipes, or if there's anything inside to effectively increase surface area, like fins or something?
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Addict
    anyone spot louvered fins in there?

Xtreme Member
    Nice one AC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatuning View Post
    Nice one AC
    Now work work to put them around europe

Xtreme Member
    These looks really amazing

But I have to point out maybe a small design flaw.

People tend to use a big longer screws and tend to push them too much in.
    On one side, your tubes have a long way from the screws holes, so even if someone screw too much, it will not puncture anything.
    But on the other side, he might.

On the GTX radiators for example, there is a small space, so even if you tighten the screw too much, it will not puncture any tubing.

This is just something to point out to, since these radiators are not "oops" proof.

But the copper radiators... lovely!
    CPU: 3960X @ 4.8GHZ
    Motherboard: RIVE
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133@LC9
    GPUs: Quad-SLI 580 @ 970
    Case: MM Ascension CYO
    PSUs: Corsair AX1200, Enermax 1250

Xtreme Member
    These radiators remind me of Lytron heat exchangers that use stainless steel tubing and copper fins. I've seen the Lytron units mentioned in laser cooling, and they are definetely not cheap.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Looks like all these high RPM fans will come in handy when stacking rads.

Can't wait to see reviews of noise and temps w/ 1 rad vs stacking 2.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I like the industrial look to it. I'm eager to read about the performance numbers, both for single and stacked solutions.

Xtreme Addict
    Presumably the stacked rads will be run in parallell so you won't run into the performance issues the in-series MCR stack rads had?
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Guru
    CedricFP: poor performance of stacked rads doesn't come as much from doubled flow restriction (double of little is not much either), but rather from increased airflow restriction and cooling 2nd rad with preheated air. Or under parallel you meant uniting them side by side not stacked one on top of another?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    CedricFP: poor performance of stacked rads doesn't come as much from doubled flow restriction (double of little is not much either), but rather from increased airflow restriction and cooling 2nd rad with preheated air. Or under parallel you meant uniting them side by side not stacked one on top of another?
    No... what i meant was the swiftech rads stacked and water flowed through them in series. That means they flowed through rad 1, were cooled substantially, and then flowed through rad 2 which receives hot air and therefore they are not cooled substantially anymore. Extreme diminishing return slope.

If you have flow going into 2 stacked radiators as paralell, it means that both rads receive heated water. You still run into diminishing returns, but not to the same extent.

Think of it as this - stacking 2 radiators and then having water flow through them in parallell can be compared to having one really damn thick radiator.

At least, I think that's the case. In my mind it is.
    -

I'd like to see someone have a 1800mm rad mounted up the wall LOL

Xtreme Mentor
    I am just curious if this will fit in a case.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Guru
    Utnorris: that .. or "will it blend"?
    CedricFP: don't mix water flow restriction and air one. As i wrote above, rads usually are not very resistive relative to waterblocks, so waterflow connection in serial or in parallel shouldn't impact overall flow in loop, also only the very biggest rads may see noticeable temp drop after one pass through one rad, but most probably temps won't drop even one degree. It's not like water immediately heats up in block, and immediately cools down in rad.
    It's different story with air, as stacked one onto other rad impacts a lot air flow, especially with quiet fans, so stacked rads benefit more from powerful fans with high air pressure to counter that (just like high FPI rads) and air's volumetric heat capacity is much lower then that of water's, so air heats up much quicker and for several degrees, so again to counter that you need more powerful (and more noisy) fans to blow air quick enough to not heat up too much in 1st rad to significantly impact 2nd rad performance in airflow path.
    Thus doesn't matter much if two rads with separate airflow are connected serially or in parallel (they might even cool a bit worse in parallel because of halved water flow speed) waterflow-wise, but it matters a lot, if rads have separate airflow (eg. side by side) or are stacked one onto other, and even more so if fans used are quiet and slow (thus with little cfm and air pressure).

Xtreme Addict
    Churchy: I am not talking about water flow restriction....

...all I am saying is that running 2 rads stacked with parallel flow (in to both, out from both simultaneously) is more similar to having a very thick radiator than the Swiftech stacked rads ever were.

Airflow is certainly a concern. You are right that since temperatures tend to equalise in a loop, airflow becomes the largest limiting factor in stacked rad performance. Assuming you use the same RPM fans, would this method of parallel flow stacking not be beneficial over Swiftechs method?
    Last edited by CedricFP; 06-02-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    -

Xtreme Guru
    You don't get it. Your described rads side by side with separate airflows for each will act/perform/cool just like separate rads placed anywhere else. Only difference - they will be connected by those end modules instead of tubing. No need to worry about such scenario performance wise, only about mount possibilities/specifics, afterall, rad package side by side gets very wide.
    Stacking drawbacks arise when you .. well, stack one onto other on top, with shared airflow for both rads, not with separate airflow with rads side by side.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    You don't get it. Your described rads side by side with separate airflows for each will act/perform/cool just like separate rads placed anywhere else. Only difference - they will be connected by those end modules instead of tubing. No need to worry about such scenario performance wise, only about mount possibilities/specifics, afterall, rad package side by side gets very wide.
    Stacking drawbacks arise when you .. well, stack one onto other on top, with shared airflow for both rads, not with separate airflow with rads side by side.
    What? I'm not talking about side by side rads.

There's an image showing two rads stacked on top of eachother with a piece on top that provides what i assume is paralell flow to both rads. Just look at what Shoggy wrote:

The flow path in horizontal setups is in series while it is parallel for vertical setups.
    That's why I said its more similar to a thicker single rad than the method Swiftech used...

I don't call "airflow" "flow". Flow in my posts refers only to water.

Would this setup not perform better than Swiftech's implementation? Granted, good fans will be needed. Push pull preferred.

EDIT: Perhaps not, though, as I just looked at some Swiftech stack images and it appears you could configure the flow to be parallel between both those rads as well.
    Last edited by CedricFP; 06-02-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    -

i love the idea... the delrin part with+flowmeter+sensor it's great
    Abit Aw9D Max - Intel E6600 - 2gb Cellshock DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 - BFG 8800GTS - 2x WD Raptor 150gb
    Zippy PSL-6850p G1 - Pioneer DVR-S15J - LiteOn DH-20A4P
    Cooling by: Loop 1 Ybris A.C.S. - Danger Den Maze4 - HWLabsGTX360 - Laing D5 - EK RES 150
    Loop 2 DTek Fuzion gfx - Aircube X2 360 -Laing D5 - Case Custom

Never go full retard
    Holy buckets, thats a lot of testing...

Yes, this thread brought me out of my self-demanded mental vacation.

Xtreme Member
    We love you though. Pretty please!

Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    Holy buckets, thats a lot of testing...

Yes, this thread brought me out of my self-demanded mental vacation.
    Current Worklog: vDarkness Previous Projects: X360:V1 * X360:V2

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast