Thread: DRM Affects Performance... Witcher 2 Features DRM No More!

Xtreme Member

Thumbs up DRM Affects Performance... Witcher 2 Features DRM No More!

http://www.ngohq.com/news/20037-cd-p...tcher-2-a.html

Adam Badowski, CD Projekt RED Development Director is saying that some of their customers noticed a huge drop. A drop as much as 30%! Now, they have come up with a patch that removes the DRM.

Good on ye mate!

EDIT: Now if only MS would pay attention to the fact that more than half the bloatware on their OS is DRM related... may be they could try and make a half decent OS next. A funny fact, my bro-in-law works at MS :P

Also, i'd like to see more companies doing this
    Last edited by tifosi; 05-28-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Xtreme Member
    The launcher still looks for the DVD but the game will launch if you just ignore it, and yep performance increase is significant, not sure if it's all because of the drm, bug fixes or most likely a combination of both.

Maybe my standard is really low but I think Win7 is more than decent enough. Last time I had a bsod it was hardware related, ie. after I replaced the part it didn't happen anymore and that was last year. I can't complain about the performance either. Too much DRM? Probably, but it's not as annoying for me as the games that have it.

Nothing really wrong with win7.

And if anyone says mac OS is DRM-free, they are lying to themselves

The only real DRM-free OS is linux.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

CDP dose not like drm and they know that its pointless once the game is cracked so i would have figured that this would come out (especially with the GOG being completely drm free and just a clean installer).

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Nothing really wrong with win7.

And if anyone says mac OS is DRM-free, they are lying to themselves

The only real DRM-free OS is linux.
    macOS is normaly HRM (hardware rights management), but i wounder if there is sony DAC (aka securom/disk) on osx
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Well picky it still has some form of RM on it, whether it be digital rights management, hardware rights management, or crap rights management
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    THIS is why I plan on buying The Witcher II, after I get some more cash. Need more developers with that type of attitude. And they win more customers that way, also. First priority is Duke Nukem Never....now that I saw a pig flying outside my window...

Xtreme Addict
    Well if you buy Wiitcher 2 on GOG you get it without DRM in the first place...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Cruncher
    All the complex RM schemes will still get hacked, and the more complex, the more likely a performance impact. More Blu Rays are now showing up with a RM-crap-scheme called Cinavia. Aggravating.

"[crunching is] a minor service to humanity as a side effect of our collective hardware fetish" - Blauhung