Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DDC pump reliability?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i think he is saying were the pump is most efficient not that u will get more flow on the same loop with the d5. the d5 is the same flow rates but lower pressure than the ddc with top in most cases (or thats what i got from the flow estimator when i was picking a pump), so all u will get from a switch is less pressure and that will not make the HF happy at all.

whats in your loop maybe u have a useless part like a SB block that u can eliminate, or some ware to make it shorter.
    Considering Martins review of the D5S@24v I'd say that it's stronger than a DDC (I'd be running it at full tilt, be sure to get Martins newest estimator were D5S is added), which is is why I thought about adding one to the loop. So I'd be running 2x oldy PA120.3, 1x HWLabs GTX360, 3 90° angles and maybe 4-5 feet of tubing , 1x HF Sup CPU, 1x HF Sup VGA, 2 pumps. Tubing is already at it's shortest and no SB/VRM blocks. The rad estimator puts me just above 1 GPM with one pump and this loop setup.
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    Considering Martins review of the D5S@24v I'd say that it's stronger than a DDC (I'd be running it at full tilt, be sure to get Martins newest estimator were D5S is added), which is is why I thought about adding one to the loop.
    Yes, D5S @24V > DDC 3.25 - I've run 2 D5S in my loop and 3 DDCs were just a little bit stronger than that.
    If you wonder why I moved - the noise + vibrations of 2xD5S @ 24V was way too much for me and at 18-20V they were quite a lot weaker hence.

If you're interested in exact numbers, have a look here, I've put it all into a table for easy comparison:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=271485
    Check out my WC worklog: BSG Pegasus - Lian Li PC-A77B
    Rev. 1.0 Photos ----- Rev 1.1 Photos ----- Rev 1.4 Photos ----- Rev 2.0 Photos ----- Rev 3.0 Photos -----
    Detailed flow comparison across all revisions ----- i7 980X @ 4960Mhz

PC:
    i7 980X 4.2GHz @1.31v / Asus Rampage III Black Edition / Corsair Dom GT 3x4GB 2000 CL9 / 2x Palit GTX 580 3GB
    Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB / 2x WD 2TB EARS / WD 2.5" 500GB / LG Blu-Ray DVD
    Lian Li PC-A77B / Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W / MS X-6 / SS Ikari / Logitech G27 + X230 / Win 7 x64 Pro
    3x Dell AW2310 120Hz 3D + Nvidia 3D Vision Surround

WC:
    3x DDC 3.25 + 3x HTS-PMP400 / EK DDC Dual V2 + Single V2 Tops - Single loop / EK Multi-Option / Bitspower fittings
    EK Supreme HF v3 / 2x EK GTX 5X0 Acetal + Nickel / Primochill LRT Black 1/2 ID 3/4 OD
    2x XSPC RX360 + RX240 / Aquaero 5 Pro + flow & temp sensors / 21x Akasa Apache Black

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for the link - looking good for the strong D5. You say it's all noise and vibrations with this pump @24V.. did Martin do one of his cool sound testing vids to see how bad it actually is?

I was happy that got my whiny DDC3.2 silenced with a shoggy sandwhich... maybe it would be okay if I don't hardmount the D5S and just suspend it with tubing directly in front of the DDC outlet?!
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    Thanks for the link - looking good for the strong D5. You say it's all noise and vibrations with this pump @24V.. did Martin do one of his cool sound testing vids to see how bad it actually is?

I was happy that got my whiny DDC3.2 silenced with a shoggy sandwhich... maybe it would be okay if I don't hardmount the D5S and just suspend it with tubing directly in front of the DDC outlet?!
    I think noise & vibration in my setup was due to placing 2 pumps in dual top.
    Stock top (or perhaps even single aftermarket top) should be much better even @24V - so don't worry too much.
    Check out my WC worklog: BSG Pegasus - Lian Li PC-A77B
    Rev. 1.0 Photos ----- Rev 1.1 Photos ----- Rev 1.4 Photos ----- Rev 2.0 Photos ----- Rev 3.0 Photos -----
    Detailed flow comparison across all revisions ----- i7 980X @ 4960Mhz

PC:
    i7 980X 4.2GHz @1.31v / Asus Rampage III Black Edition / Corsair Dom GT 3x4GB 2000 CL9 / 2x Palit GTX 580 3GB
    Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB / 2x WD 2TB EARS / WD 2.5" 500GB / LG Blu-Ray DVD
    Lian Li PC-A77B / Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W / MS X-6 / SS Ikari / Logitech G27 + X230 / Win 7 x64 Pro
    3x Dell AW2310 120Hz 3D + Nvidia 3D Vision Surround

WC:
    3x DDC 3.25 + 3x HTS-PMP400 / EK DDC Dual V2 + Single V2 Tops - Single loop / EK Multi-Option / Bitspower fittings
    EK Supreme HF v3 / 2x EK GTX 5X0 Acetal + Nickel / Primochill LRT Black 1/2 ID 3/4 OD
    2x XSPC RX360 + RX240 / Aquaero 5 Pro + flow & temp sensors / 21x Akasa Apache Black

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    im pretty sure it was waterlogged that said "d5>ddc in reliability"

Wash your mouth out.

When you gonna quit playing with those crappy Triebwerks and but some real fans?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    The only pump I had die was a DDC2 when I fed it 30v by accident.

I've also managed to flood out a DDC3.25 for a good 10minutes completely submerged and it still works.
    Geez, if it were anyone else, I'd wonder how they accomplished both of those feats!

But because it's you, 'nuff said!

Well, I got a DDC-1T to replace my dead pump, which is going back for RMA.
    All the DDC pumps I've had in my system are using EK top v2.

I have to say, the 10W DDC runs a lot more quietly, it makes it a lot more easier to bleed the system, since the flow is obviously lower, so the bubbles have more chance to escape, rather than being sucked back in by the pump.

Temperatures are maybe 2C higher, I'll have to see how it's going to work after a couple of hours of gaming, but so far so good.

I got a Koolance heatsink for the DDC-1T-Plus (that's the 18W one) for when it comes back from the RMA. For now I'm gonna keep an extra pump as a backup... I'm considering using dual DDCs, not because of the flow, but because of the redundancy in case one of them fails

I wish there was a more reliable alternative, like a small 12v Iwaki, that's be great

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by mBrane View Post
    Geez, if it were anyone else, I'd wonder how they accomplished both of those feats!

But because it's you, 'nuff said!
    Well...I admit when I make mistakes...most other people submit RMA tickets..

Xtreme Cruncher
    DDC-2 w/ petra's running 3 years strong. I have two of them. One is a test pump and the other is in my 24/7 rig sitting on some gel stuff.

What I am doing now though is running my pumps and fans off a seperate PSU to keep the LC running during restarts to reduce wear.

Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT -> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 5.0GHz @1.368V |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco DDR3-1600-8-8-8-24|Asus DirectCUII GTX670|120 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Plextor 755-SA|Auzentech Prelude 7.1|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Squire|Shuttle SD36G5M| R.I.P.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post
    ... What I am doing now though is running my pumps and fans off a seperate PSU to keep the LC running during restarts to reduce wear.
    That's interesting. This would be a great way to keep something like an Aquaero 5 running for several minutes after system shutdown, to gracefully bring your system down to ambient.

I don't have an A5 Pro yet (thx, everyone, for keeping the stores out of stock, and who wants the capacitive issues of the XT? Shudder...), but the elements appear to be there.

It could be as simplistic as ensuring that the pump is running whenever a motherboard-attached fan goes to 0 RPM (the logic works even if the fan dies), or a creative relay implementation could be used on the primary power supply (ie. the one *not* powering the A5).

Use of the A5's real-time clock to play a role in this would be convenient as well, but sensor temps could be used to end the cycle, too. I'll leave talk of scripting options to another thread.

Lightbulb DDC Pump Cooling Idea

Recognizing that there are those who would prefer that a pump never contribute heat to a loop, there are also folks that would prefer to use the cooling loop for its intended purpose, foregoing a C or two in exchange for more silent operation and longer pump life.

A passive heatsink might be a suitable compromise, *if* the pump happens to be in a position of great airflow.

What I would love to see is a pump that offers a thermal isolation plate that can be installed to isolate the loop from pump heat, or removed (or maybe replaced with something thermally conductive) to transfer pump heat to the loop.

The current alternative (ie. fans on heatsinks on pumps that drive cooling loops) just seems extraneous, prone to failure, and noisy to me. YMMV...

Xtreme Cruncher
    What is it that fails on these pumps?

I am surpised no one has offered replacement boards for them...

Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT -> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 5.0GHz @1.368V |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco DDR3-1600-8-8-8-24|Asus DirectCUII GTX670|120 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Plextor 755-SA|Auzentech Prelude 7.1|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Squire|Shuttle SD36G5M| R.I.P.

I dunno, but here are the pics of the first pump that failed for me. It greeted me with a smell of burnt plastic that took days to get rid of:

Someone who's familiar with electronics can probably say which bit burnt out.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post
    DDC-2 w/ petra's running 3 years strong. I have two of them. One is a test pump and the other is in my 24/7 rig sitting on some gel stuff.

What I am doing now though is running my pumps and fans off a seperate PSU to keep the LC running during restarts to reduce wear.
    If you want to keep those DDC-2's, I'd strongly recommend taking them off the gel. In certain cases, it killed a few pumps and components.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=165299 (page 3 is where things get really interesting)
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    If you want to keep those DDC-2's, I'd strongly recommend taking them off the gel. In certain cases, it killed a few pumps and components.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=165299 (page 3 is where things get really interesting)
    yeah. mine kinda hovers hanging off res. never gets more than lukewarm. and doesnt make a sound. never really trusted smothering the bottom with insulation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12