Thread: Can a motherboard do this!?

Can a motherboard do this!?

I assembled a PC in October and in late March/April it started doing funny things.
    1) Sometimes it would reset mid-use, and
    2) when I try to turn off the computer it would turn off but immediately turn on again (as if I've reset it).
    3) And when I ACTUALLY manage to turn it off (usually by holding onto the power button before windows boots or by turning off the switch on the PSU itself) it would refuse to turn on. It would either flicker on/off really quickly for a few seconds or do nothing at all!

I bought a new PSU (knowing i can refund it) to try to identify whether the problem is from the Mobo or PSU. After swapping out my PSU the problem stopped. So I sent my PSU in for RMA and the unit was indeed faulty, so I got an replacement.

So after using the replacement for almost 2months, guess what? THE PROBLEM IS BACK!

I went and bought a separate PSU (again), and the problem still persists. So I guess the guess the motherboard is gimped? My theory is that initially my motherboard or PSU is screwed up and one gimped up the other. Now my motherboard is gimped too.

what do you guys think?

I am running
    I7 930 @ 4.0 Ghz
    GTX 460 1Gb SLI (moderately overclocked)
    ASUS P6X58D-E
    XFX 850W Black

Live Long And Overclock
    This is most likely a heat issue. What are your ambient, motherboard, processor and GPU temps?

Xtreme Member
    I agree. Motherboard BIOS settings often have an auto-restart option that can toggled as well. May explain the resetting. Again, the problem is most likely an overheat or a defective part.
    2600K + Sabertooth + 560Ti