Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Officially Denies Bulldozer Delay !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
    That's not completely accurate. Off-the-shelf PC models go through months of validation before they are available to customers. They're not just vetting out a new mobo in these PCs, they're testing the whole thing. Every component has to be leaned out as much as possible to keep costs down, and it takes a while to prove out how low they can go without sacrificing too much reliability.

--Matt
    Validation and testing is done with ES and pre production cpus.HP dell etc, are doing this probably RIGHT NOW with B1 samples.
    They dont even have to have final silicon for that, just with right TDP.
    Youre portraying it in a manner that prevents OEM launch with Retail launch, when on most occasions theyre the same or even OEMs get them faster.
    I dont see a reason why there shouldnt be OEM boxes ready in GOD DAMN nov/dec when the full launch is expected in september or even august.
    Looking at the presentation, it says 60 to 90 days for PIB avaialability, thats retail CPU in a store..
    Its June the 1st.60 days from now will be august 1st,thats probably around the launch time,mid summer.From this date CPUS are starting to trickle down around the world to be fully available in stores a month later (90days from today),thats sep 1 .OEMs will have final silicon at least month earlier with the launch (probably even sooner).No way they will miss nov/dec sales.And i doubt they will miss even most of the back to school sales.
    Thats of course true if AMD will keep current schedule.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    Well.... It sucks that we have to wait a few more months for BD, but at least they finally cleared up all the rumors.
    No AMD fan wants to hear it, but from a business sense if the chip isn't quite ready they're better off to wait.
    The last thing they need to do is repeat the mistakes of Agena!

Call me a fanboy (because I am ), at least we'll have Llano toys to hold us over...
    Yep.. I'm with ya Dave, I'm watching closesly for Liano to pop up on Newegg..... My HTPC in the Living room would like one.. of course after I am done toying with it first
    ~1~
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
    GigaByte X570 AORUS LITE
    Trident-Z 3200 CL14 16GB
    AMD Radeon VII
    ~2~
    AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2950x
    Asus Prime X399-A
    GSkill Flare-X 3200mhz, CAS14, 64GB
    AMD RX 5700 XT

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    The Mythical Unicorn has been delayed, hmmmmmm......what a suprise! Good thing AMD Confirmed that BullDozer will not be delayed.

Damn, damn, damn! I was truly looking forward to getting rid of this Intel system as I do not like it at all, Core i7-950 is nothing but frigging Intel Hype in actual fact it is equivalent to my Phenom 940 BE maybe slightly faster and it idles at 41c with a $80.00 Noctua Cooler installed at stock with speed step enabled......piece of ***** processor! AMD Makes the better platform and much more stable to boot.
    Last edited by Brother Esau; 06-01-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Addict
    lol Brother!

Xtreme Addict
    1. ASUS Sabertooth 990fx | FX 8320 || 2. DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 | X4 810
    8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3-2000 9-10-10-28 || 4GB PSC DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21
    Corsair TX750W | Sapphire 6970 2GB || BeQuiet PurePower 450w | HD 4850
    EK Supreme | AC aquagratix | Laing Pro | MoRa 2 || Aircooled

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by XRL8 View Post
    Validation and testing is done with ES and pre production cpus.HP dell etc, are doing this probably RIGHT NOW with B1 samples.
    They dont even have to have final silicon for that, just with right TDP.
    Youre portraying it in a manner that prevents OEM launch with Retail launch, when on most occasions theyre the same or even OEMs get them faster.
    I dont see a reason why there shouldnt be OEM boxes ready in GOD DAMN nov/dec when the full launch is expected in september or even august.
    Looking at the presentation, it says 60 to 90 days for PIB avaialability, thats retail CPU in a store..
    Its June the 1st.60 days from now will be august 1st,thats probably around the launch time,mid summer.From this date CPUS are starting to trickle down around the world to be fully available in stores a month later (90days from today),thats sep 1 .OEMs will have final silicon at least month earlier with the launch (probably even sooner).No way they will miss nov/dec sales.And i doubt they will miss even most of the back to school sales.
    Thats of course true if AMD will keep current schedule.
    Seems you drew more from my words than I actually wrote. I never implied that it would have any impact on the launch of the OEM systems. I simply indicated that it's not a simple "drop the cpu in and go" process as you indicated. In either case though, the final validation will be done in its entirety with production silicon (which they'll have weeks if not months before the processors are available to the public through retail channels).

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 06-01-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Member
    THX. Now it can explain why Zambezi is postponed, and why Dirk was left.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by undone View Post
    THX. Now it can explain why Zambezi is postponed, and why Dirk was left.
    So you mean Anand heard wrong from someone?

Xtreme Member
    Hmm... sounds like an excuse. But at least it's a sensible one.

I am Xtreme
    Well, they are following the money. Isn't that why they got rid of their old CEO? So this is a sensible move for the "new" AMD.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Banned
    Im skeptical, no "proper"leaks, low numbers with the current leaks, and mobo manufacturers claiming new spin needed.Makes much more sense.Also, in the high end desktop and server markets (BD target) theyre making more $ per mm2 of a 32nm wafer.

Xtreme Cruncher
    So this is essentially saying "We meant to do this"? You don't swap schedules like that without making public comments or guidance I would imagine. Just say, "We have limited manufacturing capability at the moment, so we are optimizing things such that we will release Llano first, while pushing Bulldozer back til further capacity opens up" or some such thing...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Isn't that why they got rid of their old CEO? So this is a sensible move for the "new" AMD.
    This is a plausible explanation. It's possible that the allocation of wafers has been discussed in January, the board wanted to give priority to Llano, given it has been delayed a bit, Dirk opposed and left.

in the high end desktop and server markets (BD target) theyre making more $ per mm2 of a 32nm wafer.
    In the high end desktop market? More than from OEMs? Nope. While servers, yes, are high revenue. And server BD was scheduled for Q3 and it appears to be on track, so no problems there (hopefully).

Devil kept pokin'
    Wasn't it stated sometime ago that Llano would be released before Bulldozer?

Live Long And Overclock
    I don't mind this if the "We wanted to focus on Llano first" excuse is true. It just means that we'll get Trinity sooner.

I am looking forward to bulldozer, but for saying absolutely nothing + having their PR department lie about it, here's a little message for them:

**** you, AMD.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthShader View Post
    This is a plausible explanation. It's possible that the allocation of wafers has been discussed in January, the board wanted to give priority to Llano, given it has been delayed a bit, Dirk opposed and left.

In the high end desktop market? More than from OEMs? Nope. While servers, yes, are high revenue. And server BD was scheduled for Q3 and it appears to be on track, so no problems there (hopefully).
    Dirk seemed like a strong supporter of getting BD on the market fast...after all he was in that YouTube advertisement when he said "Times up" that AMD pulled right after he left...

Looks more than plausible to me, I mean 990FX got almost no work and looks like it was pushed with nothing new (its STILL 65NM!) and it looks like working BD silicon is out and about but no large scale production has begun.
    Smile

They confirmed no delay...and then went on to delay it. Yay AMD!

There are much more sinister rumours out there as to what the delay is all about..I really hope they are incorrect/false/faked.
    Last edited by OCguy; 06-01-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Banned

I was referring to the alleged production capacity constraints.
    In this field, they are making more money on a 300$ chip than Llano, as its going to be priced a lot less.If you can allot 100% of your production capacity, you choose the ones on which you make more $ per square milimeter dont you ?
    BD chips are going to cost 250-300$, while Llano is athlon x4 with onboard gpu, we dont have exact die sizes, but for Llano cpu part should be around 100mm2 and looking at the die size another 100mm2 for the gpu, so 200mm2, and BD is rumoured around 250mm2 , so Llano is not much smaller (~25%) but will be priced a lot less.Thats my line of thinking.

i know many members across all forums waiting for it, but for me honestly hope it is late cause i haven't had good time to play with 2500k yet. i do want to upgrade but if it release date is same and it'll go down in price (which it'll be) i'll buy it sooner compare to waiting 2-3 month extra.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm... sounds like an excuse. But at least it's a sensible one.
    Actually the real reason is pretty mundane. It all breaks down to scheduling at this point. Server is still expecting to launch in Q3, so most of the rumors are pretty far off.

Sometimes it is frustrating to sit on the inside and know what is going on while all of the rumors swirl. You can't say anything, and the moment you make a statement about one thing, every starts trying to read into that or ask about a million other rumors. That is why you can't comment on the rumors, it's an endless downward spiral.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Actually the real reason is pretty mundane. It all breaks down to scheduling at this point. Server is still expecting to launch in Q3, so most of the rumors are pretty far off.

Sometimes it is frustrating to sit on the inside and know what is going on while all of the rumors swirl. You can't say anything, and the moment you make a statement about one thing, every starts trying to read into that or ask about a million other rumors. That is why you can't comment on the rumors, it's an endless downward spiral.
    I knew you were lurking ,hope europe treats/treated you well.

However AMD could disperse all of the rumours pretty easily by issuing a simple press release explaining the what and how.

I was referring to the alleged production capacity constraints.
    In this field, they are making more money on a 300$ chip than Llano, as its going to be priced a lot less.If you can allot 100% of your production capacity, you choose the ones on which you make more $ per square milimeter dont you ?
    BD chips are going to cost 250-300$, while Llano is athlon x4 with onboard gpu, we dont have exact die sizes, but for Llano cpu part should be around 100mm2 and looking at the die size another 100mm2 for the gpu, so 200mm2, and BD is rumoured around 250mm2 , so Llano is not much smaller (~25%) but will be priced a lot less.Thats my line of thinking.
    You might be right about BD but it could also be a bit bigger,Llano is 226-228mm2 and the notebook Llano might have better margins than desktop BD (server BD doesn't matter here since it's not delayed-apparently).Laptops are about two thirds of the PC market and where Llano aims to gain share.
    That being said ,chip problems or lack of capacity it's still no good for AMD but from a marketing point of view it's better to not release both at the same time especially since Llano needs to be explained to consumers.

Xtreme Member
    A switch in positions? Server pushed ahead of desktops, like Charlie reports? http://semiaccurate.com/2011/06/02/b...d-not-delayed/

That makes sense, hopefully it is dicated by demand for those server chips. Cray are already waiting.

I understand and agree what you say about rumours floating around. I think AMD should be more aggressive here and react to them. I know you always said AMD doesn't release benchmarks before launch, but this looks like a good moment to make a little exception - to help the mobo's sell and to stop some competitor sales...

Xtreme Mentor
    So the Destop Q2 campaign was launched by unicorns and goblins ?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast