Thread: Lemon Juice + Vinegar

Xtreme Addict

Lemon Juice + Vinegar

Ultimate way to clean your toys? I'm thinking it'd be a great radiator flush, no?
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Xtreme Addict
    I have no experience in using such a mix for cleaning loops, but I believe it would make quite a tasty mix for something to do with fish.

Salmon perhaps?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    Ultimate way to clean your toys? I'm thinking it'd be a great radiator flush, no?
    3 cups distilled white vinegar
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 tsp lemon juice

It's a really nice acidic mix to clean copper, (once mixed) but dont leave it any more than 30 minutes

I'm not sure about the radiator but its nice for cleaning corrosion of the block.
    Smile

Rather pure citric acid.Juice is such a recession

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    3 cups distilled white vinegar
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 tsp lemon juice

It's a really nice acidic mix to clean copper, (once mixed) but dont leave it any more than 30 minutes

I'm not sure about the radiator but its nice for cleaning corrosion of the block.
    Ive used this to clean copper..minus the lemon juice..make sure you rinse it VERY well when done. It does a great job cleaning copper tho.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ice Dragon on Facebook

Xtreme Addict
    ketchup (yummy!)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    ketchup (yummy!)
    This thread is making me hungry.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Member
    Why spend more money putting those ingredients together rather getting Prestone Super Flush for about $3 bucks?

This will clean the entire loop too. Just rinse with distilled water.

Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump Maverick, BMaverick ... has a massive hoard of a Laing DDC pump stash

I am Xtreme
    Chemistry lesson...

Distilled white Vinegar pH level: ~2.4

Lemon juice pH level: ~ 2.2

I'll leave the rest of you to figure out what I'm getting at.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Chemistry lesson...

Lemon juice wins! (coz it smells fresher)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i know, lets add baking soda and make a volcano out of our cpu blocks
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by defect9 View Post
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Chemistry lesson...

I said cleans copper...its nice to soak your block in for a few minutes.

Of course you'd want to rinse really well after that...
    Smile

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    I said cleans copper...its nice to soak your block in for a few minutes.

Of course you'd want to rinse really well after that...
    Guess you missed the point I was making. Both vinegar and lemon juice are in the same acidic range, that makes one of them (the vinegar) redundant. Just use the lemon juice and salt, then use a good base (like baking soda) mixed with water to rinse the parts with. This will stop the acidic reaction and keep your parts from looking funny after the final water only rinse and they've dried out.

To recap, cleaning should flow like this;

Pull apart and get the big stuff (if any)
    Rinse + old toothbrush (distilled water only)
    Clean in solution (Lemon juice + salt)
    Rinse in base solution
    Rinse (distilled water only)
    Dry
    Re-assemble

Steps 3 & 4 should only be done if it's absolutely needed.

Please remember that acids eat things...especially copper. If you see your mix turn bluish, that's dissolved copper and you should cease cleaning immediately and start the base rinse.
    Circles SucQ!

I am Xtreme
    My experience:

I have a 2.5 gallon commercial ultrasonic cleaner. Worked in aerospace for a number of years primarily doing O&M work. We had some solid copper machined diplexers returned from the field with severe corrosion on the inside. They were pressurized with SF6 gas. The corrosion was green, about an eighth of an in thick. I didn't know what to clean these with so I tried adding about 3 cups of white vinegar to the water. It removed all the green corrosion very quickly, however, it left the copper with a very, very dark discoloration.

In the end result, when the corrosion was removed there was quite a lot of pitting on the inside. They would never stabilize again and were discarded.

I suspect a similar reaction would take place on any copper this type of mixture was used on. Now the discoloration was just on the surface of the copper, very thin, almost like a plating.

Just an fyi.
    I7 990X@4.4 ~63C | P6T Deluxe OC/Palm | XSPC 750 Water | Thermaltake Armor Case | OCZ Vertex 2 SSD | (2) GTX 560 SLI | 2 Hitachi 15k Raid 0 | 12 Gigs OCZ Platinum \ Win 7 (64)

Xtreme Member
    Nobody particularly liked my earlier suggestion of sulphuric acid, so now I offer up safety pickle it's a pH neutral oxide remover for gold, silver, brass, bronze, and... copper. Again, give your nearest jeweller a call and he/she can probably let you have a little baggie for a few quid.

¿
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWhatHill View Post
    My experience:

I have a 2.5 gallon commercial ultrasonic cleaner. Worked in aerospace for a number of years primarily doing O&M work. We had some solid copper machined diplexers returned from the field with severe corrosion on the inside. They were pressurized with SF6 gas. The corrosion was green, about an eighth of an in thick. I didn't know what to clean these with so I tried adding about 3 cups of white vinegar to the water. It removed all the green corrosion very quickly, however, it left the copper with a very, very dark discoloration.

In the end result, when the corrosion was removed there was quite a lot of pitting on the inside. They would never stabilize again and were discarded.

I suspect a similar reaction would take place on any copper this type of mixture was used on. Now the discoloration was just on the surface of the copper, very thin, almost like a plating.

Just an fyi.
    Anything using SF6 is subject to arcing and gas breakdown, the left over metal fluorides were probably responsible for the dark discoloration, not the cleaning solution.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asura View Post
    Nobody particularly liked my earlier suggestion of sulphuric acid, so now I offer up safety pickle it's a pH neutral oxide remover for gold, silver, brass, bronze, and... copper. Again, give your nearest jeweller a call and he/she can probably let you have a little baggie for a few quid.
    The msds says the ph on that is zero lol

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by G H Z View Post
    Anything using SF6 is subject to arcing and gas breakdown, the left over metal fluorides were probably responsible for the dark discoloration, not the cleaning solution.
    Actually the SF6 is used to prevent arcing. But when it does arc and that occasionally happens, an acid is produced because of the arc. That's what caused the corrosion on the inside. The cleaning solution caused the discoloration on both the inside AND outside. Prior to the cleaning the outside had been bright & shiny.
    I7 990X@4.4 ~63C | P6T Deluxe OC/Palm | XSPC 750 Water | Thermaltake Armor Case | OCZ Vertex 2 SSD | (2) GTX 560 SLI | 2 Hitachi 15k Raid 0 | 12 Gigs OCZ Platinum \ Win 7 (64)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by defect9 View Post
    volcano cooler!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tw33ter View Post
    The msds says the ph on that is zero lol
    Damn, totally blond moment on my part! Regardless, it doesn't etch copper like say nitric acid, though it does leach copper oxide and a bit of copper along with, it doesn't make any noticeable mark or impression on copper (or silver, or gold) and that's 7h at 40C and over night at ambient room temperature (probably about 10C) so it's certainly safe to use, just make sure to neutralise thoroughly before putting anything back in your loop.