Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic2's TEC liquid chilled pc

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    by the way does that take up 2 or 3 bays
    Its a tight 2 bay. I'm with you that 3 tecs are in the sweetspot so this chiller will be replaced at some point in the near future.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The chillers I have made here are over kill in one sense, as in ½ inch copper is much thicker and expensive than it has to be.

I’d like to bin these two 2x50 chillers and make two 3 tec ones. But I can’t see that happening because I shouldn’t need that many TEC’s and then there is the cost again !

And at some point i’d like to spend money on things that actually make my pc faster as bf3 is just around the corner
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 06-26-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Right here you go it works now. i some how managed to loose my full load pic but it could hold the cpu at 17c

i thought it would work better than it does but i guess it's not drawing much power(294watts) and is only being cooled by the 240 rad.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hay there .. i realized last night why it doesn't draw as much power or cool as well as i thought it would be cause im applying 9 volts to 2 TEC's and 4.5 to the other 2 tec's. I will resolve this and re test.

As it stands it's not controlled but i could do that tomorrow in theory. i just run the PC with the TEC's off most of the time

sort of, it's all a bit boring as this chiller is just a better made chiller than the one i made by hand year's and years ago. i want to sell these guy's and go for two 3 tec blocks for 6 tec's now.. not that i should as 4 TEC's work just fine

I shouldn't have spent so many years making direct die blocks that were unable to give people the results they required. Oh well

So in short 2 TEC's aren't enough but 4 is

Xtreme Enthusiast
    right i actually had the wiring correct so about 6.7volts is being applied per tec

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Right so

I have my SSR controlled by the T-balancer and it works awesomely it doesn’t even get worm, so I can keep my PC at X temp now . I have decided to add another radiator so it will be rad on then my crazy fans then another rad to increase efficiency. Im probably going to appy 50% minimum fan speed to them then give them the same target temp as the TEC’s so if the Tec’s are running at 100% then the Fans will be too

This all means that it wont fit in my case anymore but that’s ok and now I can add more TEC’s bringing the total to 6. ( maybe ) I have an idea to make everything tidy

EDIT actually it so could fit inside my case. hummm
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 08-04-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    right so i made a number of changes the blue fans are gone cos they're useless

The deltas a gone cos they are crazy

i now how 200rpm ultra kraze fans . which aren't to bad

i also added another psu in the mix and rewired everything . to find out one of my TEC's have died !! orrr that's never happened to me before

so now i need some new TEC's i guess

mind you it's not all bad i should have better results once they are replaced

any updates?

Xtreme Member
    nice work!

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well i've had a bad run

motor bike broke down

graphics card caught fire

TEC's have died

So progress has been slow

im 80% sure im gonna ad another chiller to the mix to make 6 TEC's since i think i can fit then in now if i buy new disks which i need anyway

so the current plan is to remove that fan in the top and fit a gts 240 in there . then below it my ultra kraze fans then below that the EK rad . which should al fit i aslo plan to but a 120 rad on the exhaust

Then for the TEC's i should be able to fit them in the lower right if i remove the disk cage and put the PSU's there too.

mind you this is all a huge amount of money which i dont have. Figures crossed i'll have the case next month so i can make some real solid decissions
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 08-22-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    right so i have my Case now. and i've already ripped most of it out

the rads should go in perfectly as planned

and the chillers and PSU's will also fit bottom right

At this stage im not going to add the 3rd chiller because of money issues and for the first time in my life id like to actually finish a project. im going to make it so i can basically drop the extra chiller in though ( i dont need the 3rd chiller anyway )

I think the delta's will make a come back there's not reason not to use them. they will be controlled by the t-balancer so noise shouldn't be an issue under normal running anyway

I have a spare TEC that i though was no good i will chuck it in my chiller as a replacement and see how well it goes. IF it's fine i may get this thing running next month

i need to buy a 100 million more 90 barbs from the US to get this thing going.
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 08-30-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    right so i got the gts added in for testing last night and well i think i will bin the EK rad in favour of one of my other modded GTS as it smaller and works heaps better with REAL fans

Xtreme Enthusiast
    right i got the 3 new tec out that didn't work EVER and put them in the oven at 220c for 30min and now all seem to be working !

yeah !

Xtreme Enthusiast
    right i have been worried about the wiring when i had the 4 TEC's running and as started before im applying 6.6v to each TEC but since i have 15.4v and 31.5v TEC's that has meant i've been applying 40% of umax to the 15.4 TEC's and only 20% for the 31.5v TEC's. Which finally explains why it hasn't worked as expected.

Because of the oven trick i could in theory use all 31.5 volt TEC's but im reluctant to do that as i know these TEC's have been prone to dying. not sure i have another option though

What are bards?

Also nice tip about baking the tecs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    90 degree barbs sorry

oh i see

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally Posted by Some guy on a xbox forum
    a colder environment round the Xbox itself won't really cool it down because the xbox doesn't take in air, it just expels the hot air I think.

i just read this .. this is awesome !

thaks the kind of guys that starts telling me how TEC's work

Xtreme Member
    Oh yeah, I read that one too. Thought it was rather awesome. I Hope you have some luck with your chiller. Seems like my projects just keep getting delayed more and more.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Right so I have been going through different combinations of rad and fans based on what I have and what would fit
    I have

2 modded GTS rads and one ek 45mm thick. Rads are 240’s

Some combos I have tried

Ultra kraze 2000pm delta 4000rpm and 25mm thick something or another shark
    I’ve tried a lot of combinations including
    GTS,38mm fan GTS
    38mm fan GTS 25mm fan
    Ek rad 38mm fan and 25mm fan

So in short the 38mm fan and one gts was by far the best. I also believe if I add a inch shroud to it as I’ll have the space performance will be greatly increased because the base results I’ve achieved so far is when the fans weren’t pushed against the RAD

Tonight I want to add another pump to see if that affects the results much

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    Originally Posted by Some guy on a xbox forum
    a colder environment round the Xbox itself won't really cool it down because the xbox doesn't take in air, it just expels the hot air I think.

i just read this .. this is awesome !

thaks the kind of guys that starts telling me how TEC's work
    I know!! To be able to even think that...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Right so I’ve been given the hurry up from the wife. So I need to get this done. Because of that im going to have to take the punt that ALL my baked TEC’s are going to work and stay working. Which im rather worried about.

I made my rectangular shroud over the weekend and it works great something people never seem to mention when talking about bout shrouds is how MUST they reduce the noise it’s amazing. More cooling lower noise it’s a dream.

Im gonna bang the delta’s on there temporarily I would leave them on there but when undevolted they make a horrible motor noise which is far louder than the fan noise it’s self. When I can afford them I’ll get dome 4200 gentle typhoons and I’ll probably beable to run them at 100% without even noticing. Though im sure I will control the fans .the detla’s are about 150cf-180 and the GT’s are 115

Im gonna start making the PSU / Chiller enclosure/ braket today ..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    right so i tested out my baked TEC's and all of them failed once i applied power to them . so im back to buying new TEC's

here are some pics of how it's coming along.

By the way no the red rad is not staying and please note the TEC chiller tower

IMG_0954.JPGIMG_0955.JPG

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so far

IMG_0956.JPG

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so far

IMG_0956.JPG

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast