Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic2's TEC liquid chilled pc

Xtreme Enthusiast
    right i've started milling the water block .. i have toned it down ALOT .which is a bit depressing, but wise as i know after a week i'll want to go sub dew point and the original design (that you haven't seen) would have been impossible to insulate. the copper base will be done by the morning i just need to do the cover cam work so i can mill it then the hand finishing over the long weekend so i can get it nickel plated

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Right here is my water block, that in theory cools better than the fusion next to it ( basically cos it's so much larger )

progress has slowed again cos of bc2 but im still hoping to get all the copper off to the platers tomorrow
    Attached Images Attached Images

The factors which affect cooling have little to do with the size of the block. A thinner baseplate lowers the thermal resistance of the baseplate. A larger surface area will lower the thermal resistance between the copper's surface and the water. Smaller pin spacing creates more turbulence, which breaks the laminar flow near the copper's surface and lowers the thermal resistance.

I'd like to see test results, but I'm not sure you'll beat the fusion.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Annirak View Post
    The factors which affect cooling have little to do with the size of the block. A thinner baseplate lowers the thermal resistance of the baseplate. A larger surface area will lower the thermal resistance between the copper's surface and the water. Smaller pin spacing creates more turbulence, which breaks the laminar flow near the copper's surface and lowers the thermal resistance.

I'd like to see test results, but I'm not sure you'll beat the fusion.
    If my block had the same external dimensions as the fusion then the fusion would be better. but mine is bigger and therefore im cheating as the volume is like 3 times larger :-)

anyway i dont want to get side tracked on this

Xtreme Member
    I think Annitak is right in this but you can always test them out and prove us wrong. Very nice work with the blocks anyway.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkkahy View Post
    I think Annitak is right in this but you can always test them out and prove us wrong. Very nice work with the blocks anyway.
    I wont make any comments here I am a little out of depth BUT......

remember this isnt just some waterblock it is a TEC waterblock and a lot of standard waterblocks are designed for a small central heat source i.e. the CPU chips this waterblock has to deal with a greater heat over it's entire surface which is a slightly different scenario to a standard watercooling block especially given that standard waterblocks dont work too great with TEC.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 06-06-2011 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
    I wont make any comments here I am a little out of depth BUT......

remember this isnt just some waterblock it is a TEC waterblock and a lot of standard waterblocks are designed for a small central heat source i.e. the CPU chips this waterblock has to deal with a greater heat over it's entire surface which is a slightly different scenario to a standard watercooling block especially given that standard waterblocks dont work too great with TEC.
    I won't try and perpetuate a debate on this. I'd be interested in seeing a direct comparison. I'll leave it at that.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annirak View Post
    I won't try and perpetuate a debate on this. I'd be interested in seeing a direct comparison. I'll leave it at that.
    That's the point there is no comparison to be made unless you are interested in apples versus oranges. Like Zipdogso said it isn't meant to cool a CPU it is intended to cool a TEC. It will however cool a TEC much more efficiently than the smaller block again not really a fair comparison and two completely different animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

I thought that there are no TEC's in this cpu block any more

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The water block in question is just a water block it's not cooling a TEC this is a water chiller project and that is the base for the water block

Xtreme Addict
    How heavy is that block anyway? 3 kilos?
    btw, keep up the good. v beautiful block

Xtreme Enthusiast
    right well i finally had some more time to work on my project so here is the cover for my water block complete with 4 led holes.

Since i dont have the HAF-X yet i wont be actually using this block till then cos i dont feel like having to take the mother board out.

im taking the copper in tomorrow to get plated . so next weekend i'll start putting this thing together but since i dont have the case everything will be outside the case

The case has been further delayed cos i finally found a Temp Controller that i want. bay ones are a waste of time since i to look at the front of the case i look at it side on( at the windows if this case had one )

I have also decided to run the TEC's at 21v instead of 13v cos i know i can on the same PSU . so i should beable a achieve my goals
    though i will need some more fans i want to get some of the 5400 rpm fans but i will hold off till i get the case and make sure they'll fit as well as the other nice looking ones

IMG_7360.jpg

IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 06-11-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I like what I see and read!

Keep up the good work
    proud to be from Belguim ^^

Lightpainting and hardware are my life!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Everything should look sweet once the LED's are in but thats a long way off

in the pic of the water block looking directly down on it. it appears as the centre hole is not correctly aligned it's in fact perfect, it's just the angle of the picture
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 06-15-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Nice i cant wait for some temps results. bdw cpu block looks awesome.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well it's going

The original fans were a joke (blue led ones ) i had to add some delta fans to get the job done they are crasy at 12 volts and get the job done at 6v so thats what they're at

As for temp it's the usual story of the temps slowly rising, so i need more TEC's also i need to remove the motherboard from chiller loop

im not surprised at anything cos i have synthetically tested these and other TEC'ers have found that 2 will only get you to around ambient
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 06-19-2011 at 02:30 AM.

Xtreme Member
    What tecs do you or you will use Ultra?Very good job!
    Last edited by chaotic; 06-19-2011 at 04:16 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They are HB 300's which are really 285Qmax

i have already started making the second chiller.So that should be done in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    They are HB 300's which are really 285Qmax

i have already started making the second chiller.So that should be done in a few weeks
    Honestly, I just want to inject that you might look at your cooling instead of adding more tecs or drop the voltage on you tecs. From my experience, just dropping the voltage a couple volts will acually increase cooling based on the thermal resistance coefficient. From my experience going from 2 phobia 480's (which are basically 2xdoubles) to 1 brought my temps up about 5ºc. In essence I need at least 4xdoubles to cool 2 tecs adequately.

So from my experience, you need at least 2 doubles per tec to cool them properly.

Adding 2 more tecs is really just going to add to the problem if your going to try to cool them with one double radiator imo.

That said, I've been running with 2x245w 50mm tecs running @ 10v in a sandy bridge with a 2600K processor running at 4.2 ghz (ht off) with water temps at about 13ºc with prime (small) with 2 doubles (one phobea 480).

with 2 phobea 480's I ran about 6-8c with ambient @ 24c with the same setup
    Last edited by mindchill; 06-25-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mindchill View Post
    Honestly, I just want to inject that you might look at your cooling instead of adding more tecs or drop the voltage on you tecs. From my experience, just dropping the voltage a couple volts will acually increase cooling based on the thermal resistance coefficient. From my experience going from 2 phobia 480's (which are basically 2xdoubles) to 1 brought my temps up about 5ºc. In essence I need at least 4xdoubles to cool 2 tecs adequately.

So from my experience, you need at least 2 doubles per tec to cool them properly.

Adding 2 more tecs is really just going to add to the problem if your going to try to cool them with one double radiator imo.

That said, I've been running with 2x245w 50mm tecs running @ 10v in a sandy bridge with a 2600K processor running at 4.2 ghz (ht off) with water temps at about 13ºc with prime (small) with 2 doubles (one phobea 480).

with 2 phobea 480's I ran about 6-8c with ambient @ 24c with the same setup
    Well you are all right.

With my piddly 240 im unable to run high input voltages cos i can't keep the hot side cool which is why i was going for more tec's at a lower voltage to increase the cop and therefore have lower hot side temps and cold side temps

i was trying to cool everything with a 240 cos i like the idea of a TEC setup being small and compact and it was something new for me to play with as i already know it will work with 500 rads :-). You see cos i've had TEC setups for years but at no point have all of the components fitted in one case, which kinda makes them point less. so getting everything in the case is the point of this build for me.

However im pretty sure i'll end up with this 240 in the case and a 480 hanging off the back of the case otherwise it maybe to loud or not work

what kind of rad are you using .. i had HWL gtx's before and they seem awesome in comparison to the EK ones i have now. the EK ones are cheap though
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 06-25-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Basically he was using one and two of these in essence. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=21621

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    Well you are all right.

With my piddly 240 im unable to run high input voltages cos i can't keep the hot side cool which is why i was going for more tec's at a lower voltage to increase the cop and therefore have lower hot side temps and cold side temps

i was trying to cool everything with a 240 cos i like the idea of a TEC setup being small and compact and it was something new for me to play with as i already know it will work with 500 rads :-). You see cos i've had TEC setups for years but at no point have all of the components fitted in one case, which kinda makes them point less. so getting everything in the case is the point of this build for me.

However im pretty sure i'll end up with this 240 in the case and a 480 hanging off the back of the case otherwise it maybe to loud or not work

what kind of rad are you using .. i had HWL gtx's before and they seem awesome in comparison to the EK ones i have now. the EK ones are cheap though
    I almost have the same setup as your doing with my current rig.. I actually got that 480 in the case hanging off the side cover. Ive been running the chiller and controller for a couple months now without a hitch. I normally just keep the water temps between 15ºc gaming and ambient ~23ºc for just web surfing etc. I think you might have the same case, so this might be an option for you as well. Everything except for the 24v power supply is inside the case. At some point I need to add quick disconnects and do a little cleanup and remount the water pumps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	820 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	116729   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	852 
Size:	288.8 KB 
ID:	116730   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic4.jpg 
Views:	822 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	116731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic3.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	357.8 KB 
ID:	116732  
    Last edited by mindchill; 06-26-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Here is a picture of my chiller that sits in the 5 /14" bay.. you can't really see it inside the case in the pictures above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic5.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	116736  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    im going for the HAF X i dont have it yet

right rads on the door . i did that in the p4 days. it was a pain at the the time trying to open the door.

i really do think the sweet spot is 3 50mm TEC's

it would be so interesting if i could remove the motherboard from the loop, as it's all most working .. full load at a CPU temp of 28c with an ambient of 22. but it's to much work to be bothered with. when i can add in 2 more TEC's at the end of the week

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mindchill View Post
    Here is a picture of my chiller that sits in the 5 /14" bay.. you can't really see it inside the case in the pictures above.
    by the way does that take up 2 or 3 bays

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast