Thread: Quick question: is an instant system-reboot normal for an unstable OC on GTX580?

Xtreme Member

Quick question: is an instant system-reboot normal for an unstable OC on GTX580?

Hey,

Quick question: is a system-reboot normal for an unstable setting on GTX580?

I've been getting some VERY strange data when trying to find the optimal OC for my GTX580 (like core voltage seeming to not help at all over ca 875Mhz, and other issues like setting that can stress in crysis for an hour but then crash in 5 minutes with identical setting except a litte MORE juice to the core - I am sticking to below 1.137 here so its not anything extreme).

I am getting 2 types of different crashes though. It soft-crashes to desktop when it would seem logical that I have pushed it too far with too little voltage - but when stressing over time even on quite lower settings I get full system reboots like it just cuts power. These second types of "crashes" seem to be tied to the results that I can't make sense out of - so I have a sneaking suspicion that this might be connected to a completely different problem like some sort of motherboard overcurrent feature that is wrongly activating (I have checked out PSU voltages in stress and idle manually + via logging just to make sure there isn't anything very obviously wrong that should make the system restart just from any problem in the PSU alone).

So in short - is this sort of power-cut instant-restart something I should even be seeing under normal conditions when figuring out a relatively moderate OC on my GTX580? If this is unusual then that definitely warrants me to dig deeper and find out whats going on so I would very much appreciate some input. I'm sure there are plenty here who have OCed their GTX580's and can tell me from experience what is normal I think I will probably in any case doublecheck by firing up my old motherboard/CPU/RAM with this card and doing the same tests to see if this gives me completely different results - but I appreciate any answers regardless.

EDIT: Motherboard is P8Z68-V Pro
    After I started suspecting a seperate cause I found this, which I think might possibly be related:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1003290/p...andom-restarts
    I think testing on another mobo should confirm this easily if this is the case - but any feedback and experiences are welcome nonetheless in the meantime.

-Stigma

Quote Originally Posted by Stigma View Post
    Hey,

Quick question: is a system-reboot normal for an unstable setting on GTX580?

I've been getting some VERY strange data when trying to find the optimal OC for my GTX580 (like core voltage seeming to not help at all over ca 875Mhz, and other issues like setting that can stress in crysis for an hour but then crash in 5 minutes with identical setting except a litte MORE juice to the core - I am sticking to below 1.137 here so its not anything extreme).

I am getting 2 types of different crashes though. It soft-crashes to desktop when it would seem logical that I have pushed it too far with too little voltage - but when stressing over time even on quite lower settings I get full system reboots like it just cuts power. These second types of "crashes" seem to be tied to the results that I can't make sense out of - so I have a sneaking suspicion that this might be connected to a completely different problem like some sort of motherboard overcurrent feature that is wrongly activating (I have checked out PSU voltages in stress and idle manually + via logging just to make sure there isn't anything very obviously wrong that should make the system restart just from any problem in the PSU alone).

So in short - is this sort of power-cut instant-restart something I should even be seeing under normal conditions when figuring out a relatively moderate OC on my GTX580? If this is unusual then that definitely warrants me to dig deeper and find out whats going on so I would very much appreciate some input. I'm sure there are plenty here who have OCed their GTX580's and can tell me from experience what is normal I think I will probably in any case doublecheck by firing up my old motherboard/CPU/RAM with this card and doing the same tests to see if this gives me completely different results - but I appreciate any answers regardless.

EDIT: Motherboard is P8Z68-V Pro
    After I started suspecting a seperate cause I found this, which I think might possibly be related:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1003290/p...andom-restarts
    I think testing on another mobo should confirm this easily if this is the case - but any feedback and experiences are welcome nonetheless in the meantime.

-Stigma
    Hey there

When oc on VGA fails can either send you to desktop with a driver error which means u are almost there on volts
    Then if it goes black screen and u have to manually reboot well u need more volts or card don't go more
    Eventually u can get bsod ye but if it's turns off means psu

This are my opinions hope u can figure out
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Xtreme Mentor
    Yes if its hella unstable. Could be PSU related also.
    Ci7 990X::Rampage III Extreme::12GB Corsair Dominator 1866C7GT::2 x EVGA SC Titans in SLI::Corsair AX1200::TJ07::Watercooled
    Ci7 920 3849B018::Rampage II Extreme::6GB GSKILL Trident 2000C9 BBSE::EVGA GTX580::Antec Signature SG850::TJ09::Aircooled w/TRUE 120X

Xtreme Addict
    Yes it can just reboot.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump