Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Build Log] Schuhart's Jar

Nerdy Powerlifter

[Build Log] Schuhart's Jar

Alright guys. This is my first build log, so be gentle.

Name:
    I adopted this seemingly strange name, Schuhart's Jar, after I came aross the name in a book entitled Roadside Picnic / Tale of the Troika. If you are familiar, you'll soon see why. If not, I'll give a little background.
    This short novel is the inspiration for the game, Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. Why I picked the name specifically is I've decided to do all copper fittings. The "jar" in the book is solid copper. If you want to know more, just go read the book.

Parts:
    CPU: i7 2600K
    Motherboard: ASRock Extreme4
    Memory: G.Skill DDR3 2x2gb 2133mhz or G.Skill DDR3 2x4gb 1600mhz
    Video Cards: MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC
    SSD: Samsung 470 256gb
    Case: Silverstone FT02BW
    PSU: Corsair HX850W

Watercooling:
    CPU Block: Aqua Computer Cuplex Kryos HF
    Pump: MCP 655
    Radiator: XSPC RX320
    Fans: Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM
    Resevior: Koolance RP-452X2
    Fittings: Alphacool Copper
    Tubing: 10' of Masterleeker 7/16" ID / 5/8" OD
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Here's the first two items I bought for the build which have arrived. One all the way from Canada!

I didn't pay $370 for the CPU, don't worry.

More importantly, what's in the box?

And here's what I've been searching for all over the US and ended up ordering all the way from Canada! Very fast shipping from Daz Mode!

Here's an upclose shot of the CPU Block. That's a LOT of copper. This is a heavy block!

Please forgive my poor photography skills, rather, lack thereof. I really need a DSLR. Point and Shoot doesn't cut it in low light conditions.

Edit:

Here's a picture of everything I have so far.
    Last edited by [XC] Synthetickiller; 05-23-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I'm going to post a few pics of the block itself. Some will go in the parts section (unless they kick me out for horrible photography )

Here's the block disassembled.

The next four pictures are for anyone out there wondering about the O-ring. This block comes with two, a normal and thick ring.

The normal ring is on the left, thick ring on the left. Notice the texture differences between the two.
    '

Another shot showing the thickness of the rings:

I forgot to take shots of the original O-Ring, but it sits flat.

Here's two shots of the Thick O-Ring. As you can see, it obviously sticks up out of the valley in which it resides.

New parts come in tomorrow!
    Last edited by [XC] Synthetickiller; 05-23-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Reserved 4
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Guru
    Game imho is too different to be related to book. Imho closer to book's mood is Andrei Tarkovsky's '79 movie Stalker. (vid for some taste of it). For anybody who haven't seen it or read brothers Strugatsky book Roadside Picknick - i strongly advise to do so. A bit deeper then average pop/consumerism culture products.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Where did Dazmode ship from? Curious where their warehouse is?

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Game imho is too different to be related to book. Imho closer to book's mood is Andrei Tarkovsky's '79 movie Stalker. (vid for some taste of it). For anybody who haven't seen it or read brothers Strugatsky book Roadside Picknick - i strongly advise to do so. A bit deeper then average pop/consumerism culture products.
    I agree. This book is extremely different, although you'll say, "AH-HA!" when you come across a concept in the book that was used in the game.

No one wants to wander around "The Zone" without kill something, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjiwing View Post
    Where did Dazmode ship from? Curious where their warehouse is?
    Oakville, Ontario, Canada.

I ordered last Tuesday. Opted for 2 Week delivery. Recieved it today. I'm just out of New Orleans, Lousiana, so that's fairly far to ship something. I'm impressed w/ the speed considering it was delivered via USPS.

Honestly, I tried NOT to buy from him since I didn't want to import and "wait" a long time. There just isn't anyone in the US right now stocking this cooler for 1155 sockets. AM3 is easy to find though.

Shipping wasn't nice ($11 or $12) and his price was a tad higher, but it arrived very quickly.

Some stuff is priced very affordably, but other items are $25 or more expensive than where I can find stuff in the US.

He seems to get stuff you can't find, including some frozenq rads I had been eyeing for a while.

I'd order from the guy again, especially for a niche product.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

I am Xtreme
    You must have really wanted that block if you were willing to buy from Canada. Dazmode FTW though.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    You must have really wanted that block if you were willing to buy from Canada. Dazmode FTW though.
    Everyone has an EK. It's a basic, square block. So boring to me. Heatkiller is not top dog anymore either. I wanted something somewhat unique. I don't see many of these around here, or anywhere else.

The more I look at the block, the more I like it. I have 0 buyers remorse.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    .. No one wants to wander around "The Zone" without kill something, right? ..
    Actually many had initially expected for it to be less of an FPS, more of survival rpg, as in ten times less NPCs & shootouts, but more area to explore (and preferably one big stich-less map), more anomalies, more realism.
    As for what's close to book .. i'd count that as less then 5%. Few arcade way simplicised anomalies and "happiness for everyone, for free" in one of endings doesn't make it close to book. Game had it's pros too (and i still like it a lot ) as bringing enjoyable to play fallout-ish post-apocalyptic setting with great immersion and good plot, also featuring lot of small details that are easily recognizable by and easily pulls in nostalgia post-soviet-union citizens (fireplace stories, level design, overall feel), but like book it was not.
    P.S.
    If you like the game, i suggest you to try out AKM mod (sleeping with sleeping bag, dynamic anomalies, offline AI, artifact transmutation, and so on), greatly changing gaming experience in this particular one.
    P.P.S.
    sorry for sidetracking from your build itself. It's just that i like book, movie, game, so i wished to share some of that when i noticed references to them

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Case arrived today. Fed Ex usually gets stuff out in the morning which is really nice.

Boy this is a HUGE box!

So here's another picture of everything I currently have, including my PSU.

PSU & Radiator w/ stock fans.

USB 2.0? This is 2011. I'll fix this...

DB Drive won't fit in the top slot. I knew this, but wanted to confirm. ALMOST fits!

I'll have to do something about this ugly grey housing the DB player has.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I got the board today. I'm really impressed w/ the quality of this ASRock board.

I've never had a board packaged as securely as this. I didn't plan on taking a picture of htis, but I was just astounded they'd go so far to protect the board.

So here's the USB 3.0 bracket. It's 3.5". I'm now having an issue w/ how to attach the header. The two headers are held together with a waxy substance. I've read it'll melt off. I'm trying to figure out how to mount these guys to that pcb after desodering the USB 2.0 connections.

If anyone has any ideas, I''d be more than happy to hear from you guys. I'm still new to this.

Here's two pics of the board in case. There's exaclty 10" of space between the rad and the top of the case. This set up would let me isntall my two cards in SLI, but I'll be ripping out the two fans and running 3 120s in their place.

You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Guru
    Why not move disk enclosure to 5.25 bays, rip all the 180mm fans and put 4x120 rad down there? (IIRC there was one FT02 build with even 4x140 rad in it, don't remember how much moding that required though)

Nerdy Powerlifter
    There's a few builds like that. I've seen with both 480 and 560 rads. It would rock, but for now, I can't really buy another rad. It's more than enough for a CPU alone and I can't justify the cost. The GPUs will stay on air.

You're refering to this build:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=266579
    And this buid:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...1&postcount=58

So far, I only plan on mounting one SSD on the side, so I don't need the 3.5" bays, but tearing it out won't buy me a lot of extra air flow. I might also buy some drives, so I'd rather keep it there for future expandability.

The USB 3.0 issue is bugging me right now.
    Last edited by [XC] Synthetickiller; 05-25-2011 at 07:23 AM.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Update:
    More updates:

So this should be the final loop.

A few things:

The alphacool copper fittings are amazing. They are closer to rose gold than copper. Pictures do not do them justice.

I'll be adding a copper SB to go along w/ the copper theme. I wanted a TT true spirit or some other elaborate sink, but anything tall will interfere with SLI. I'm stuck w/ a shorter block.

The Koolance res is absolutely beautiful, but I'm finding it impossibly hard to bleed. The remaining air in the loop doesn't bleed. I can prime the pump for and hour, on and off, but the air stays put and the pump will not find silence.

I have some other pics, but I can't find the memory card.

I'll post those when I come across it.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    glad to see you putting it together looks good.

i have HK block and love it.but i love that kryos block more!

Nerdy Powerlifter
    THanks buddy.

I wish I was doing some incredible stuff, but I don't have the time/skill like a lot of the other guys on here.

I've never seen an FT02 w/ WCing behind the board so cards are easily installed. The panel should fit fine. I'll just have to do wire management, but that's fairly easy.

So I pulled my GTX 470 and put it in the case before creating the loop. I wanted to see what fans will fit...

I'll probably go with the GT 1850s as they quieter, but it's nice to know I can throw a few San Ace fans on there if I feel like it.

Too bad I can't do push pull with those 38mm beasts.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

i like seeing normal builds.

all these crazy builds make me sad. as i will never have the money.. or the time to do said crazy builds.

i like seeing normal builds.

all these crazy builds make me sad. as i will never have the money.. or the time to do said crazy builds.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Well, my 2600k seems to be a bust.

The first thread stays at 100% due to interups (not sure if it's hardware or software, but most likely software as it does this w/o drivers installed). I'll have to deal w/ getting it replaced unless it's the motherboard. Either way, this set's my build back.

I'll be posting a few pics tomorrow. I have some new stuff I can install in the PC anyways.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Nerdy Powerlifter
    The board is being RMA'd as I'm 99.99% sure there's something wrong with it.

I installed a fan controller, but I want to do some cable management first. Also, the radiator grill I bought won't fit, so I'm looking into getting at least another one or 3 single ones.

If anyone need a Phobya radiator mount (looks to fit 120mm or 140mm rad) let me know!
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Small update...

A few surprises in store either by Friday or Monday. Depends on how fast UPS is.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    Subscribed

I'm keeping my EYE on you....
    lol
    Raidmax ATOMIC - Core i7 3770s + Corsair H70 // Gigabyte H77N WIFI // Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 2133mhz // EVGA GTX1060 ACX2.0// Kingston SUV400 480Gb // Sharkoon SFX500L

I'm keeping my EYE on you....
    lol
    Raidmax ATOMIC - Core i7 3770s + Corsair H70 // Gigabyte H77N WIFI // Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 2133mhz // EVGA GTX1060 ACX2.0// Kingston SUV400 480Gb // Sharkoon SFX500L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast