Thread: POPUP Programs & Others

Xtreme Member

POPUP Programs & Others

Just wondering what some of the best freeware programs are that you people use. Be it popup blockers or adware removal utilities just curious. And also for those of us with deep pocket books what about programs that cost money... What is the best of the best of must have utilities ?

Thanks

Xtreme Mentor
    Ad-aware is very good

This is not the place for this tread, i know its the most popular so= more reply but you cant start it here

Xtreme Addict
    wrong forum, but...

I like using Panicware's Pop-Up Stopper Companion (small toolbar, very neat)..

and using Ad-Aware 6
    NF7 | Mobile 2400+ | 256MB Twinmos PC3200 BH5 | 9800 PRO | 23384 6989

MY HEATWARE

Twisted
    I just use mozilla firebird

Xtreme Member
    i use a program called proxomitron that works extremely well on blocking pop-ups and other nuisances. http://www.proxomitron.info/files/index.shtml
    Coming Soon!!!!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks and I figured it was the wrong forum but couldnt find one that was software specific (mind you I probably could have searched harder or I may be blind) but thanks for the replies.

Chuck Norris Worshipper
    ad-aware and spybot - search and destroy

Google has a cool IE toolbar that blocks popups. I use that with Spybot S&D. Works well.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yea that google bar is cool in it's own way - saves a good deal of time by just typing what you want and it is also pretty decent for killing popups. well it doesn't kill them all andday before yesterday it actually went ape on me. almost killed my ring (killed as in lockup, nothing serious ). some popup it tried to kill actually made the screen all gray and every once in a while the titlebar of ie was flipping past - did take a good deal of alt-f4 to get by that (some minutes!).

anyway, besides that ad aware is another very good tool. i use it periodically to search my system for any dangerous/forbidden registry entries and all that. it kills everything that looks suspicious like entries in your favourites, cookies, blabla and of course registry entries. good combo so far.

throw in a good sw-firewall and a hw-firefall plus something like antivir and your basically set.

the progs listed above are all free.

a question to the guys using spybot. is that the "original" spybot developped by some guys from trsi toolrevolution or sth completely different? if it's the trsi bit, it started out as a tracing tool.
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

Another option is using Opera as a browser. It has a built in pop up killer, very nice IMO. With many other perks.

Xtreme Member
    google/ad-aware6

Xtreme Member
    I like Avant ( a make over of IE). Blocks all pop ups and has roboform, a password manager that works great.
    A Must See if you have ever wondered about 9/11 Pentagon Attack

Popular mechanics Debunk conspiracy theorists