Thread: Best Bang For Buck

Xtreme Member

Best Bang For Buck

Hi,

Just want a bit of advice.

I have a Sata 2 mobo and am considering raiding two Intel 320 40GB drives in Raid 0. Is this a good idea or could I get better bang for buck by going to a single SSD of a different brand (if so which one?)

Edit: Also, is TRIM disabled once you Raid the drives in 0?

Cheers

Xtreme Guru
    raid will give you some spreading of writes, allowing you to avoid throttling, and enjoy more Overprovisioning (each drive has set amount).
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

I am Xtreme
    I'd just get a single Intel 320 since the smaller models have reduced performance, thus raiding is not that big of a performance improvement.
    Plus you get TRIM, which is nice.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme
    Mr. Z is correct if you want simplicity.
    Trim for intel drives may not be needed, I have a pair of 1st gen intel 80s in my primary desktop that haven't seen trim for a year and they are dong great.
    Paul is right that R0 of a pair should be significantly faster depending on what chipset/mobo you use.

Xtreme Member
    my array does good as a boot with no trim
    TRU/i7920@4.0...AsusP6X58D...6G/Gskill(1603)...EvgaGtxTITAN...80GIntelG2...X-FI/680z...CorsairHX1000...thermaltakeXIII...HP LP-3065...8.1pro x64
    TRU/i7920@3.6...AsusP6TWSPRO...12G/OCZ...XFX5770...2x64GSamSungSLC/Areca1110 raid0...2.8TB storage...SeasonicX650...CoolerMaster810...HP LP-3065...8.1pro x64