Thread: [Martinsliquidlab] Apogee XT Revision 2 Housing Upgrade Review

Xtreme X.I.P.

[Martinsliquidlab] Apogee XT Revision 2 Housing Upgrade Review

Apogee XT2 Upgrade Detailed Review

Special thanks to Gabe from Swiftech for sponsoring the new Rev2 top. I purchased the Rev1 block, but this is a retest showing Rev1 vs Rev2. This would be my fifth block in my i7 2600K series CPU block testing.

This is not a full review, just an update to the original Rev1 test/review.

Also for comfort, I did some work testing my meters for accuracy. The flow and manometer meters seem to check within specifications. I also retested the CPU-370 and Supreme V1 in the above chart just to be sure relative results were good.

For the collection of data:

And now for the best mount of 5 simplified bar chart. (I like this better than average mount as it seems to have a higher repeatability (With fewer mounts) and more represents the extreme user willing to remount if needed)

You can see in the above test runs between Rev1 and Rev2. The average method of Rev1 would be in a fair amount of error compared to Rev2, yet both runs hit the "Best Of 5" target very well. You could also presume in the Rev1 run that mounting variability was high, yet using the same exact mount and base in Rev2 run gave very different results (I got better and more consistent, not the block). I think there are too many variables to conclude much of anything except "Best of 5" mounts. You would need to do several dozen mounts to create a very repeatable average. At least for my variable hand, I'm all over the place when it comes to the mounting variable and that's on a horizontal MB test bed.

I am adopting this CPU test presentation method:
    -Show all 5 mounts (above) to encourage displaying the errors present and lack of significant figures.
    -Simplify to best of 5 mounts bar chart below:

Bottom line:
    Same great block as the Rev1, same thermal performance, and lower pressure drop

Cheers!
    Martin
    Last edited by Martinm210; 05-21-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Nice update. Thank you for all the hard work on these reviews Martin.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

So as a Rev 1.0 owner, I can just purchase the Rev 2.0 housing and don't need to buy the revised XT Rev 2.0 altogether?

Xtreme Member
    Correct, exactly what I've done. (although I haven't installed the rev2 top yet - waiting for my P67 B3 recall to do all the work in one go).

J

I am Xtreme
    Good info, thanks!
    Is there some reason you're not testing EK Supreme HF? Would make for an interesting comparison
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    it's his current line of testing. on sandybridge.

Nice to see the two together, as always great photography!

rev. 2 seems to be as advertised! thanks for the testing!
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks!!

And the EK HF is on my short list to add to my 2600K round. Testing them as they either come in from sample requests or as I can afford to buy them myself. This month I'm going Tuna fishing so no buying WC toys, but EK is sending me an HF to review...it should be in the mail now making that long journey over seas.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper52 View Post
    So as a Rev 1.0 owner, I can just purchase the Rev 2.0 housing and don't need to buy the revised XT Rev 2.0 altogether?
    Yes , you can pick one up here. No need to buy a whole new block, just need the upgrade Rev 2 top and you're in business.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 05-21-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Thanks!!

And the EK HF is on my short list to add to my 2600K round. Testing them as they either come in from sample requests or as I can afford to buy them myself. This month I'm going Tuna fishing so no buying WC toys:
    Good luck on your Tuna trip! Last time I went we had to go 50 miles out!
    DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5
    Phenom II 955BE Lapped
    Mushkin 2x2GB
    VisionTek 4870
    WD150 V-Rapter
    WD250
    Corsair 850TX
    HAF 932/Custom Paint
    XSPC Rasa/MCR320QP
    Alphacool VPP655/MCRES

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doglips View Post
    Good luck on your Tuna trip! Last time I went we had to go 50 miles out!
    Thanks!

Actually, I meant to say Halibut (not tuna). Doing Halibut next Saturday, and taking my son out for the first time Sunday to do bottom fishing. I've done both and had a blast both times. I caught a 22lb Halibut last time, hoping for something bigger this round..

I watercool the german way (meaning low flow) so, extra flow pressure looks nice in a graph? but doesnt result in better temps? Then whats the point?
    My hardware changes to fast and to much to keep a sig up to date. I just gave up on the idea.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by neonatas View Post
    I watercool the german way (meaning low flow) so, extra flow pressure looks nice in a graph? but doesnt result in better temps? Then whats the point?
    Lower pressure drop simply means you can expand more using the pump you already have without running into bleeding problems. It should also theoretically give you a very minor gain in radiator performance.

For example, the MCR320 will see approximately a 15% performance gain between .5GPM and 1.0 GPM:

You won't see that drastic a change in flow rate, but there are some minor radiator gains possible with increased flow.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 05-21-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brammers View Post
    Correct, exactly what I've done. (although I haven't installed the rev2 top yet - waiting for my P67 B3 recall to do all the work in one go).

J
    cool beans! gotta love swiftech. Thx for the info

Xtreme Enthusiast
    edit: I'm trying to actually buy the upgrade kit and swiftech's site just doesn't want to sell me anything... Oh well, I might try again later. If only they'd send some kits to ncix so that we can purchase easily
    Last edited by antiacid; 05-21-2011 at 07:14 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by antiacid View Post
    now if only they could start selling "upgrade kits" for us, v1 owners, that would be peachy.
    They do. Performance PC's has them in stock.

Xtreme X.I.P.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    30$ for the part, 35$ to get the part to my door (brokerage, shipping, taxes). I think I'll wait for swiftech to send a box up to NCIX (or maybe dazmode?)...

Xtreme Member
    At $65 it's almost better getting a whole new rev2 and selling the rev1 on.

I had the luxury of picking it up in person from the US, so $2 in shipping, no taxes.

J

Xtreme Guru
    Single item shipment costs, especially if overseas, was always very costly. And in usual way one can always save on shipping by ordering several items at once. For the rest there is always DIY mod.

Xtreme Member
    Nice review, with reviews like this there is no need for guess work when deciding on a purchase.

I purchased the upgrade kit, installation was simple. I applaud Swiftech for supplying the R2 housing (as an inexpensive add-on) and making the effort to improve the efficiency of their products.
    PC Specifications

CPU - i7 920 D0 4.2 GHz 24/7 RAM - OCZ Animal 6GB PC 1600 Motherboard - EVGA Classified 760 Videocard - EVGA GTX 580 (Vanilla) 972MHz Core Tower - Obsidian 800D PSU - Corsair AX850

Cooling Specifications

Radiators - TFC X-Changer 360, EK 140 Video Card - EK FC580+ (R2) CPU - Apogee XT R2 Motherboard - EK-FB EVGA X58 Pumps - Swiftech MCP655-B X 2 Reservoir - Koolance (RP-452x2) Fan Controller - Aquaero Pro Liquid Cooled.

Member of 4.5GHz Linx Club