Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official** Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread. Share your experiences, OCs & tech issues!

Xtreme Member
    I got my 2500 k now batchcode: L104A540
    I will set my result here with the z68 -pro3

here is the result for now

after some tries here is the result

with the vcc 1.5 from bios
    still need more voltage for stable or need some other voltage to mood lik(vtt or pll)
    Another question
    at this state what should I put the max power for the processor and with what duration

2500K 4.5GHz 1.28v Batch L104A540 / CM hyper 212 Plus / ASRock Z68 Pro3 (1.3 UEFI) / Geil EVO Two 2x2 1600C8@1866c9 1.6v / COUGAR CM 700W+ Haf 932

Xtreme 3D Team
    i was wondering if anyone would like to share what criteria led you to purchase this board vs. the other options available?
    1. 775 mounting holes, didn't have to mess with my water block. That is what made the sale, that and...

2. Just like to try new brands. I have done Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, DFI, etc. Just wanted to try it out of curiosity.
    3770K @ 4.8Ghz 1.42V | GSkill 2x4GB @ 1066Mhz | Asrock Extreme4
    2600K @ 4.5Ghz 1.38V | GSkill 2x4GB @ 933Mhz CAS 9-10-9 1.5v | Asrock Z68M/USB
    1090T @ 3.8 Ghz 1.42V | Crucial 4x2GB 666 CAS 8 | Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    Q6600 @ 3.66Ghz(8x458) 1.35V | GSkill 2x2GB @ 550Mhz 5:5:3:13 2.1V | Asus Maximus Formula(Rampage 0401) |

Quote Originally Posted by piquadrat View Post
    >jpm
    -The last (third long) pci-e slot. On Asus if one wants to set it to 4x mode he has to switch off e-sata, some usb ports and pci-e x1 AFAIR. No such restrictions in Asrock's case.
    -Asus had a little advantage in P67 concerning usb3 compatibility (Nec chip). But it is no longer valid as they changed usb3 controller in Z68.
    -USB3 front panel as a bundle in Asrock.
    -surprisingly robust community of Asrock users and faster response with bios updates from their support team.
    thanks piquadrat - am surprised that the NEC USB3 chip is viewed as a better choice? recently the Etron EJ168 (used in the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 board, among others) passed USB-IF certification:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/etron-te...ion/12343.html

the ASMedia USB3 controller (used on the P8Z68-V Pro) has also passed this certification, although this article mentioned a potential Etron advantage over both ASMedia and NEC in that it is fully xHCI 1.0 compliant. has the NEC chip been proven better in practice?

also on the topic of chip selection, i noticed the ASRock board uses a Broadcom LAN chip that i've heard good things about.

I must say with the new Etron driver (v1.1) I was sent by one of my contacts really irons out a lot of the inital teething problems. Very enjoyable board to build a system around, everything just works as it should and so far in testing the latest UEFIs for the board are totally bug free.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

jpm,

The only problem I've had with my board is the fact that the eSATA port doesn't work as advertised. This seems to be a common problem with the Marvell controller I believe.

Everything else just works though with no issues. The UEFI contains lots of options and its easy to navigate. It overclocks as well as the Asus and it also has many more features than the Asus, including the front usb 3 panel and the extra PCI-E lanes chip.
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz
    TRUE 120 Extreme @ Scythe S-FLEX 1600rpm
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill RipjawsX PC12800 CL8 1.5V
    AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    2x 6950@70 2GB CrossfireX
    Dell U2711
    OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB SSD
    Samsung F3 500gb HDD
    Silverstone FT-02B-W

Quote Originally Posted by jpm View Post
    thanks piquadrat - am surprised that the NEC USB3 chip is viewed as a better choice?
    It was a better choice but this is progressively changing
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm View Post
    also on the topic of chip selection, i noticed the ASRock board uses a Broadcom LAN chip that i've heard good things about.
    What have you heard as I'm still wondering what's the real difference between Broadcom and Realtek LAN chips?

Quote Originally Posted by EzyRyder View Post
    jpm,

The only problem I've had with my board is the fact that the eSATA port doesn't work as advertised. This seems to be a common problem with the Marvell controller I believe.

Everything else just works though with no issues. The UEFI contains lots of options and its easy to navigate. It overclocks as well as the Asus and it also has many more features than the Asus, including the front usb 3 panel and the extra PCI-E lanes chip.
    thanks ezyryder, what issues are you having with the eSATA port?

I believe its a problem with the Marvell controller and not the board itself as other users of other Asrock boards with the same controller have reported the problem.

The problem is basically when you plug an eSATA device your computer will become very laggy, the mouse will almost freeze and the computer will become unusable until you turn the eSATA device off.
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz
    AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    Dell U2711
    OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB SSD
    Samsung F3 500gb HDD
    Silverstone FT-02B-W

What have you heard as I'm still wondering what's the real difference between Broadcom and Realtek LAN chips?
    marvell LAN chips historically provided lower CPU utilization compared to realtek counterparts, and in some cases higher throughput as well. one relatively recent review demonstrating this is here:
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1387/10/

comparing the marvell chip on an Asus board to the realtek chip on an ASRock board, the difference was quite significant. there are also some threads here on xtremesystems confirming the same:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...an-Port-to-Use

although some of the benchmarks you'll find are a bit dated, i don't think much has changed here in the past few years. motherboard manufacturers prefer marvell and realtek LAN chips because they are cheap, and because they can use them on both Intel and AMD motherboards, which simplifies their supply chain, driver management and board designs. a few recent Asus boards are using Intel’s WG82579V PHY chip, which is an interface to the P67/Z68 chipset's built-in network functionality. allegedly this reduces latency, additionally this avoids giving up a PCIe lane to a marvell/realtek controller. but this solution has not been popular with board manufacturers as they can't utilize it on AMD boards.

unfortunately networking benchmarks for the recent Z68 boards have been scarce. hardocp did some benchmarking of the Intel PHY on the Asus board that seem impressive, but there isn't anything to compare them to:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/...board_review/4

although i have read positive qualitative comments about the Broadcom BCM57781 (i.e. tom's hardware called the chip "reputable" and an "unusual strength" for the ASRock board), i haven't been able to find any actual comparisons of its performance or CPU utilization.

I'm having the same trouble with finding any useful info about that Broadcom controller. And can't position it in relation to the contenders. Is it Broadcom>Marvel>Realtek or the other way around?

digging further it seems that the Z68 Extreme4 is currently the only mass-produced board on the market using this broadcom chip. until we get some good benchmarks, we do have a spec sheet from broadcom:

http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/57781-PB00-R.pdf

on the optimistic side, ASRock moved to this broadcom chip from the Realtek RTL8111E used on the P67 Extreme4, so we can hope that they did so with better performance in mind.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey guys, I am currently deciding on which board to purchase and have been looking at this thread with keen interest in regards to the Asrock-Z68-Extreme4.

Just curious, say your using a GTX 580 will it still use it's normal minimal power even though your say web browsing using the Intel Graphics Chip? how does it work as I haven't found much info in terms of Z68 users like yourselves.

I was going to purchase a Gigabyte Z68 board but just wondering if the additional features of the Asrock would be put to use and actually work well.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

:)
    So say I were to upgrade would you guys recommend the Z68 Extreme4 or the P67 Extreme6. - I have no real use for the extras provided by the Z68 chipset.

Does the "V16 + 2 Power Phase Design" really make that big a difference when overclocking as compared to the V8 design on the Extreme4?

They are the same price for me at Newegg and I have Shoprunner thing so shipping price is not an issue.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill 2133MHz 9-11-10-28| ASUS DCII GTX 580 | Samsugn 256GB 830 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, Hitachi 1TB | Noctua NH-D14 | Seasonic X750

Xtreme Member
    @Ket

Check this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...t-problem.html
    Looks like some serious bug in UEFI 1.4
    i5 2500K (L041C124) @ 5GHz + Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B | ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3 UEFI L3.19 | ADATA 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB | 2x Crucial m4 64GB SSD RAID 0, Seagate 7200.12 500GB, Samsung F4 EG 2TB | 24" HP LP2475w | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W | Fractal Design Define R3 | Windows 10 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by EzyRyder View Post
    I believe its a problem with the Marvell controller and not the board itself as other users of other Asrock boards with the same controller have reported the problem.

The problem is basically when you plug an eSATA device your computer will become very laggy, the mouse will almost freeze and the computer will become unusable until you turn the eSATA device off.
    I'll chase up the status of this problem, but I won't hear anything from my contacts until Wednesday~ next week.

I'm having the same trouble with finding any useful info about that Broadcom controller. And can't position it in relation to the contenders. Is it Broadcom>Marvel>Realtek or the other way around?
    AFAIK, Broadcom make some good stuff so the chip Asrock are using should be some good quality stuff, but I don't have any benchmarks for specific comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
    Hey guys, I am currently deciding on which board to purchase and have been looking at this thread with keen interest in regards to the Asrock-Z68-Extreme4.

Just curious, say your using a GTX 580 will it still use it's normal minimal power even though your say web browsing using the Intel Graphics Chip? how does it work as I haven't found much info in terms of Z68 users like yourselves.

I was going to purchase a Gigabyte Z68 board but just wondering if the additional features of the Asrock would be put to use and actually work well.
    Virtu works by letting the IGP take over the tasks of general stuff and video encoding (faster than discrete cards) so your GTX580 uses less power and thus reduces your leccy bill. However, your GTX580 won't actually be "off", it will be in a low power idle state so should you launch a game, your GTX580 will kick to life and take over from the IGP.

Quote Originally Posted by Zayras View Post
    So say I were to upgrade would you guys recommend the Z68 Extreme4 or the P67 Extreme6. - I have no real use for the extras provided by the Z68 chipset.

Does the "V16 + 2 Power Phase Design" really make that big a difference when overclocking as compared to the V8 design on the Extreme4?

They are the same price for me at Newegg and I have Shoprunner thing so shipping price is not an issue.
    This is largely a personal preference choice. The Z68 will see you being more futureproof as you will be able to take advantage of Virtu. As for 8 phase
    vs 16 phase both provide more than enough to get a monster OC out of the CPU. The main difference with 16 phase is you might be able to shave a smidge off of the vcore needed for the same OC on a 8 phase board.

Quote Originally Posted by radier View Post
    @Ket

Check this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...t-problem.html
    Looks like some serious bug in UEFI 1.4
    Ask that guy to try UEFI 1.4A from the first page in this thread

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Cheers Ket - I know you were already chasing the issue
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz
    AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    Dell U2711
    OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB SSD
    Samsung F3 500gb HDD
    Silverstone FT-02B-W

Damn, RMA time for me. My motherboard has developed a fault were the system after its been shutdown switches itself back on after 2 seconds. At first I thought it must be a windows issue but now all I have connected is the cpu, 1 stick of ram and the psu (no mouse, keyboard or any systems cables) - and it still restarts itself.

I've tried all the bioses available and pulled the battery for a while to get a full reset. I even tried a different psu to rule that out.

Oh well..

Check WOL (wake on lan).
    If you switch off with power button (hard power down), does it restart by itself also?

Check WOL (wake on lan).
    If you switch off with power button (hard power down), does it restart by itself also?
    I tried toggling all the bios options related to waking the pc up including WOL. I have everything disconnected now so my final tests were using the power button built onto the board - and it still restarts after 2 seconds.

Check WOL (wake on lan).
    I tried toggling all the bios options related to waking the pc up including WOL. I have everything disconnected now so my final tests were using the power button built onto the board - and it still restarts after 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by hopester View Post
    Damn, RMA time for me. My motherboard has developed a fault were the system after its been shutdown switches itself back on after 2 seconds. At first I thought it must be a windows issue but now all I have connected is the cpu, 1 stick of ram and the psu (no mouse, keyboard or any systems cables) - and it still restarts itself.

I've tried all the bioses available and pulled the battery for a while to get a full reset. I even tried a different psu to rule that out.

Oh well..
    Thats not the board, its your PSU

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Oh well..

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    You have me confused now as I tried a different psu?

The only times I've ever known a system to turn itself back on after shutting it down or similar is when the PSU has been dodgy. Deffinately worth checking your system with a known working PSU before taking it apart.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member

Oh well..
    are use any program such as InstantBoot
    try to remove it first
    2500K 4.5GHz 1.28v Batch L104A540 / CM hyper 212 Plus / ASRock Z68 Pro3 (1.3 UEFI) / Geil EVO Two 2x2 1600C8@1866c9 1.6v / COUGAR CM 700W+ Haf 932

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast