Thread: It's been fun

Hybrid View

Unhappy It's been fun

I've been folding for about 5 years now. Unfortunately at this point I think I have to quit due to now actually directly paying my electric bill. Until I have a little more money to work with per month I'm stopping Graphics cards just are taking too much power and pumping out too much heat that I then have to cool with AC, doing a double-whammy on the electric. As you can tell by my sig, I'm cutting back on my boxes.

I thought about moving the GTX260 to my office PC but the issue with that is 1) the noise and 2) the card has been slowly getting grumpier. I got it happy for a while but it is getting sour on me again.

This sucks because I've been non-stop for those 5 years. Sure there's been some slowdowns, but I never totally quit before. Ugh.

HOWEVER...

<Schwarzenegger> I'll be back! </Schwarzenegger>

I don't plan on this being permanent. And I'll still keep an eye in here to answer any questions that I can.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    Sad to see you go for the time being, but looking at the total points you achieved I can only say

Come back as soon as your wallet allows you to!
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Sorry to hear that, hope you can at least keep a single rig running...... every WU counts for science.
    I have found that consolidating to 1 or 2 rigs with newer CPU / GPU's is more efficient and uses less power.
    Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 : Core i5-6600K : EVGA RTX2080 XC : 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 : 256Gb Crucial MX500 : Corsair H100i : PCP&C 750w 60A : CM Cosmos S : Windows 10 x64
    Asus Z8NA-D6 : Dual Xeon E5645 : 24Gb DDR3-1333 ECC : MSI GTX470 : 120Gb Samsung EVO 840 : 1TB HDD : PCP&C 750w 60A : CM Stacker : DD MC-TDX, EK-FC470, RX240+RX120, D5 X-Top, BayRes : VMware ESXi 6.7.0 - VM's - WCG crunchers x 5 (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS), Mint 19, Windows 10 Insider Preview
    Sophos XG 17.5.3 running on GA-Z97-Wifi : Core i3 : 8Gb DDR3-1600 : 120Gb SSD : Corsair H80
    BenQ GW2765, Aten 4-port KVM, Asustor AS5002 4Tb NAS, Belkin 1500va UPS, Sky Fibre Max 80/20Mbps

Da Goose
    Sparky............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................How about if Goosey talks to ComEd about subsidizing your electric bill in lieu of helping mankind?

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

I'm not following you. ComEd?

<google>

Oh. I have AEP for my power company.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Da Goose
    Sparky...You have been the rock and inspiration for many of us. I for 1 salute you and your contributions... Goosey weeps at the economic climate.

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

XS Mad Scientist
    Aw come back as soon as you can! Understood on the power bills though! They can be a killer

I am Xtreme
    Sorry man. We understand. Waiting for your return!
    I7 990X@4.4 ~63C | P6T Deluxe OC/Palm | XSPC 750 Water | Thermaltake Armor Case | OCZ Vertex 2 SSD | (2) GTX 560 SLI | 2 Hitachi 15k Raid 0 | 12 Gigs OCZ Platinum \ Win 7 (64)

Iron Within Iron Without
    WHAT IS THIS ?! HERESY ! HERESY !

I can't fold or crunch thanks to the power consumption in the hellhole I'm livin'
    I get the power in bags from birds because no power cable runs through this hellhole.

I welcome Thee of high voltage forest to the cave with no light my Friend.
    Sony PS3 | Nintendo Wii + Nintendo Wii Fit

By Mercedes - Adventure Trips around Middle Europe in a Youngtimer | https://www.facebook.com/S.Mercedesem - Like Us, if you Like us that is

Think of those trees sparky. Think of the g'dammit trees.