Thread: SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Think what you could do if you were actually trying!

Two things:

1) Probably best to start another thread

2) You might try reading what others have written and respond to people. You still have not responded to Ao1's data about how his Sandforce drive was lifetime throttled to 7MB/s sequential write speed, and it stayed throttled despite several secure erases. Clearly, SE does NOT clear a lifetime throttle condition on Ao1's SSD.
    You have no idea how right you are until you read my posts over at OCZ forums in the mega thread titled "TRIM, OP, and everything else Sandforce". The newer "Sandforce write throttling" sticky also has many to choose from as well. lol Seriously though.. it's pretty tough to just tell someone(especially "jaded experts" like some here) that.. "I just know these things". The main puprose was to add some type of credentials for how I got to where I am at this point with my understanding of Sandfocre. Aside from that, I'm a pretty humble dude and you can take it any way you want which seems to be the downside of any forum posting with huge losses in interpretation and attitude.

1)probably won't happen unless someone PM's me and needs the info. Seems to be just a passing debate and to be perfectly honest?.. I'm fine with guys being wrong and believing what you want to. Seems like too much hassle to "debate" about things that have been proven many, many times over at the OCZ forums on a near daily basis. The info is there. Not being snotty at all and just seems like a waste of time if the minds are closed or the cup is already full. Whatever analogy fits there gets the point across I'm sure.

2)I can certainly do that and will try to shed light on what I'm guessing happened with a few different possibilities there. Seems moot at this point though with the drive out of the running now.

EDIT: Holy friggin' crap! I give up trying to multi-quote bits and pieces of certian posts as I'm just hacking this stuff up trying to get it right. Don't know how you guys do it and don't have the patience to learn something new right now unless someone can lend me a clue or I'll just stay simple and try and make my red responses to be clearly just my own responses to each portion of the original post. If that's not good enough then I'll just go back to spectating again. This back and forth stuff is half the reason I didn't respond when the drive dropped out of the lineup in the first place.

PS. @Ao1.. PM me if you want me to clarify some things a bit better and give some idea's as to what most likely happened there with your drive.

since you don't believe my input here I'll leave you with these quotes from Tony himself.

During the time there is no GC map...EG all the nand is reset and free to write to duraclass has no real impact on Nand life...its just writes
    When you SE the controller writes without Duraclass, it writes faster BUT it also writes indiscriminately...it does not look at what blocks have high erase count and move to ones that have a low count... it just writes to them.
    you can see the clean speed (NO GC MAP) which is what you get now with a clean new drive or after SE and then the functional 1 month in speed which is what you all see now
    idle time will restore the drive to day to day speed, SE will restore unmapped speed but you will see a transition from that state to day to day. Plus SE to often and you actually start wearing out the drive.
    So, in the end here?.. Sandforce Lifetime throttle = "settled in state". An SE does in fact reset the drive to fresh out of the box speed. Anyone who find's otherwise has not properly sent the ATA secure erase command for the drive to initiate it at the firmware level?.. or there is an issue with the drive and the firmware is corrupted or an RMA is required. My guess is that Ao1 didn't use the proper tool to send the command to the firmware for the ATA SE to be initiated.
    Last edited by groberts101; 06-24-2011 at 05:27 PM.