Thread: SSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm

Threaded View

Xtreme Guru
    Even at 19nm an SLC device will have a long lifetime. So businesses would be expected to buy those.
    except for SLC sales to businesses.
    industry would like to subdivide the market more into long life SLC and shorter lived MLC drives.

All
    of this is wrong my friend. Next gen Intel Enterprise drives are MLC. ALL of them. I have spoken with several industry 'insiders' in regards to this, and most arent pleased, to say the very least. However, Intel is confident they can deliver. and they will.

As far as the Max IOPS goes, while it is difficult to be sure without the sort of testing going on here, I would be very surprised if it did not have better write endurance than the 25nm version.
    IF it had higher endurance, it would be plastered over the front of every box, and on teh front of every single spec sheet and every single product page, and it isnt. OCZ would market it, i would bet a years salary on it.
    the reason why they arent marketing it that way?
    because it will not have higher endurance.
    MAXiops is for people who think they know what they are looking at, but dont.
    its 4k speed increases arent even realized @ the low QD, where the market segment it is intended for would realize some form of gains. how many normal people out there will notice a 4k increase @ 64 QD?
    how many will ever even hit that playing games and browsing? none.
    its fine and all for epeen, but the 25nm version benches just as fast in real world apps from what i have seen. as a matter of fact, outside of synthetic benchmarks they are exactly the same.

the difference in vantage HDD score from a regular V3 to a MAXiops V3?
    15 points. out of 70639.
    what percentage of gain is that again?

EDIT: MLC 25nm intel enterprise links:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage...te_Drives.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd...ive,10684.html

it is also mentioned in presentations in this years IDF. a quick google should provide more than enough verification.
    Last edited by Computurd; 06-21-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!