Thread: apple introduces custom hdd connector

Xtreme X.I.P.

apple introduces custom hdd connector

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/13/n...ce-of-servici/

New imacs can't be upgraded with standard hdds, need hdds with a custom firmware and physical plug. Lol....

Xtreme Addict
    That's cute.
    But ah... the mac os runs on any old pc anyways.
    Just needs a soft mod of some kind.

Really this doesn't matter so much, it'll just piss of experienced users.
    Most normal users wouldn't change the drive anyways.

Prob is, the normal users take advice from the ones that are experienced.
    If the experienced says use firefox, that's what the normal user will switch to.
    If he/she says no mac hardware, well...

This was a dumb move.

Besides it's not like mac's use pimped out boards anymore.
    So why bother even buying a mac...
    A mac gui on a linux os, like gnome or kde, it's the same exact thing...

If they keep it up everyone is gonna know just how bad this company has become.
    Reminds me of some pac bell or compaq pc's way back in the day.
    Then again people still bought those things lol..., no offense.

End of my rant lol.

Xtreme Addict
    Let them - when (cr)Apple 1984 starts, we won't be part of it

@Neo, noone listens to experienced users about Macs - noone would buy Macs then
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Xtreme Addict
    Very dumb move. But well, it's no surprise Apple did this. Sucks that the HDD (and the SSD) are not marked as a "user-replacable" part like in the laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by alfaunits View Post
    @Neo, noone listens to experienced users about Macs - noone would buy Macs then
    Au contraire. Just because you are an experienced user does not mean you won't buy a Mac. Sure, I won't buy a Mac Pro and built my PC myself, but I'm afraid I can't bear Windows on sub 15 inch Laptops. I'm currently using my MacBook for my complete studies (LaTeX, Labview, Matlab) and I would be lost without spaces on OS-X. Imho Linux and OS-X are the only OSs to go for non-DTR Laptops if you really want to work with them.

I don't want to trash Windows, Windows 7 is a great OS, but I just feel like it's still optimised for the business use with 17 inch+ screens.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    A mac gui on a linux os, like gnome or kde, it's the same exact thing...
    I tried Ubuntu once. I think I'm too stupid for Linux :-[ When I've got the time (after my studies) I will give it another try. My MacBook is four years old and will probably be replaced at the end of the year (still thinking of going to Tablet + PC only). My parents need a new Laptop (you can't teach an old dog new tricks => Windows) as well so that will be perfect to test it.
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 05-14-2011 at 02:37 AM.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    That's cute.
    But ah... the mac os runs on any old pc anyways.
    Just needs a soft mod of some kind.
    Running snow leopard at 4.5GHz here... Feels nice to be faster than any apple made mac
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Mentor
    What people used to say about MacOS was its bug proof, beautiful, easy and virus resident. Now with Android /Crome OS game has changed so much i tried the Crome OS out and its pretty easy to go about. Not to mention the beauty each window can be, as of now Apple for me is all about hardware and their C2D based stuff are all ready out dated but like their new stuff with thunder bolt and snb...
    Coming Soon

Banned
    So, this move is strictly to force users to buy overpriced versions of accessories from apple ?

This alone should be a reason for any apple user to ditch their hardware.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    What people used to say about MacOS was its bug proof, beautiful, easy and virus resident. Now with Android /Crome OS game has changed so much i tried the Crome OS out and its pretty easy to go about. Not to mention the beauty each window can be, as of now Apple for me is all about hardware and their C2D based stuff are all ready out dated but like their new stuff with thunder bolt and snb...
    Chrome OS isn't really an OS. Unless your world is "in the cloud" and your whole user experience is centered around HTML5, which is still in its infancy.

I received a Google CR-48, Chrome OS was on it for about two days before replacing it with a Linux distribution.

And Android isn't bug proof by any means (still to be seen with ChromeOS), especially with huge number of people rooting their phones, opens it up to essentially anything. There was a thread (here on this forum I believe) not too long ago about Google pulling out apps from the Android store because they had some kind of malware on it.

Xtreme Member
    I just love looking through engadget looking at the comments of the Apple fan boys viciously defending apples move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    been lots of years since I played with an AMD and this is just an hour so bear with me..
    My first thoughts on it is that it's fast, it's smoothe and it's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    Yes, the i7 does have the edge in pure grunt but then again the AMD has that little something I can't quite put my finger on except to use that word 'smoother" and that will get me flamed faster than posting kiddy :banana::banana::banana::banana: on the Christian networks site.
    Main Rig: Phenom II 550 (x4) @3.9Ghz - Gigabyte 6950@6970 - Asus M4A-785D M Pro - Samsung HDs 2x2TB,1x1.5TB,2x1TB - Season X-650 | OpenCL mining rigs: 2x Phenom II 555(x4) - 1xMSI 890FXA-GD70 - 1xGB 990FXA-UD7 (SICK ) - 1xHD6990 - 1x6950@70 - 6x5850 - 2xCooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1kW

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XRL8 View Post
    So, this move is strictly to force users to buy overpriced versions of accessories from apple ?

This alone should be a reason for any apple user to ditch their hardware.
    Seems so... unless there's some features/performance benefit to it?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what ever kills them quicker

I am Xtreme
    Maybe one in 1000 people are going to replace the HDD in an iMac anyways, so honestly I couldn't care less.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deltz View Post
    what ever kills them quicker
    +1.

Xtreme Addict
    From what Ive read, you can still add an additional standard HD. You can even set the new HD as the primary drive and just use the old one as a files drive, as long as its still plugged in. So I don't know really if this being done for the reason everyone is assuming it is.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Addict
    well this has more info but...it all seems like bs to me.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/12/...n-new-imacs-2/
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Member
    Well... i'm a pc user and a mac user ... pc for fun ... mac for work ( because of osx ) ...
    I must admit that OSX is really good to work with ... the workflow is very efficient ...
    I swapped the HD from my iMac ( 2010 ) and had to use hddfancontrol software to fix the problem with the freaking fan going skyhigh on rpms...
    But ... i must say... this was my first imac ... and i think it's my last ...

Although OSX is really good to work with... Windows7 isn't that bad either... Ok... some additional steps on some parts ... apps that work really good on mac and that are buggy on windows ( or don't exist at all ) is a set back ... but i can live with it ...

I was really f?!=ed up with this HDD thing and what i keep saying to anyone making Apple some kind of "god" is that ... their marketing department really works well and they must have lots of "psychiatric" studies on how to brainwash people...

Apple is all about being cool and having "the looks"...

OSX is not longer "bug free" ... had all sorts of bugs with the OSX and apps ... ( i think there's too many people developing apps for mac thinking they know a about it but if we analyse it closely, what i think is that nowadays it's more important to have a UI full or bling bling buttons and textures than being well coded )

For professional use ... meh ... i had to change my HD by myself and lose my Apple warranty because they asked me 200 Euros for a freaking Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb ... you gotta be kidding me ... and i didn't change it to have more hd space... the HD got so messed up with bad sectors ( if not works, didn't try to understand what it was ) that i wasn't able to format the damn thing on windows ...

So... if i can't touch my mac without loosing my warranty ... even if i just want to change the HD ... is a big step back at my eyes....

So ... no... i'm not a Apple fan ... although i like using it with a strict number of applications ...
    The future of Apple is going to be those consumers that don't want to know how much it costs ... just to look good on meetings ... or with friends ... or just to say " i have mac " to be the cool guy on the block.

I was really hoping that the OSX could be a open OS for multi platform use in the future... that would be really great ...
    But then again... as far as i see it ... this won't happen.

I know i say several times that OSX isn't that good... and sometimes i say that it's really good to work with ... but that's just my experience with it... can be really cool ... but it has flaws that are a pain in the arse...

Ohhhhh, one more thing, i love the fact that, if you keep your fans profile default, without installing any fan controller app, you will see your HD reaching temperatures that are not that healthy ... for example... 56, 58ºC.
    Oh...your ass is grass and I've got the weed-whacker.

Xtreme Batrachian
    There was the same kind of reaction when Apple moved to non-removable batteries... It was the end of the world... The caldera @ yellowstone was going to blow up with cataclysmic consequences because of what Apple dared to do... Non-removable batteries... An outrage...

Apple hard drives have always used custom firmware and now instead of using hard drives with a separate connector for the thermal sensor (which they're non standard and not many hard drives have anyway) which they've been doing since the Late 2009 iMac (and no one seemed to care about it) they moved to yet another proprietary connector... Big deal... If there's a market for it some company in the periphery will make an adaptor.

What's funny is that most of the outrage comes from those who claim they wouldn't buy an Apple if it was the last and only computer available in the world, yet those who are going to actually buy don't seem to care much about it. Brainwash? LOL...
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToad View Post
    There was the same kind of reaction when Apple moved to non-removable batteries... It was the end of the world... The caldera @ yellowstone was going to blow up with cataclysmic consequences because of what Apple dared to do... Non-removable batteries... An outrage...

Apple hard drives have always used custom firmware and now instead of using hard drives with a separate connector for the thermal sensor (which they're non standard and not many hard drives have anyway) which they've been doing since the Late 2009 iMac (and no one seemed to care about it) they moved to yet another proprietary connector... Big deal... If there's a market for it some company in the periphery will make an adaptor.

What's funny is that most of the outrage comes from those who claim they wouldn't buy an Apple if it was the last and only computer available in the world, yet those who are going to actually buy don't seem to care much about it. Brainwash? LOL...
    Yes, Apple owners are Exactly that.....Brain Washed!
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Member
    When ... or if they would try to adapt the OSX to work with all the motherboards in the market ... along with memory and all other components, they would see that OSX isn't that perfect. It works great if you only use that hardware, and that is what they want. They want an OS that's stable and for that they use only that hardware. At my eyes they want the OSX user experience to be as relaxed as possible without users being worried about stability problems.

The big issue is that i had my mac restart himself numerous times ... apps giving errors repeatedly; so ... stability isn't what it used to be.

Windows 7 evolved really good in terms of stability. My install has been on the computer for 8 months with zero problems ... in 5 months i had to re-install OSX twice!

" If Apple says i don't need a flash and i don't need easy access to replace my hard drive ... then ... i'm ok with that, because they know what's best for me "

ahah
    Oh...your ass is grass and I've got the weed-whacker.

Admin
    Thread has gone from Apple using a proprietary HDD connector to Mac vs. PC, OS X vs. Win7, and 'brainwashing.'

Thread closed.