Thread: dual Xeons OEM ??

dual Xeons OEM ??

hey everyone,

i know the question has allready been posted here about OEM processors but i need advices.
    i just bought an SR-2 for building a workstation for my 3D project during this year at my school, and i would like to put 2 x X5670 / 5680 on it.
    I want to OC them at something around 3.7 / 3.8ghz maybe 4ghz if i take the 5680s , for keeping them stable on air and it's much more important when rendering time H24 7/7 gonna be there.
    So i would like to know if the OEM xeons we can find on ebay with one year warranty worth it (300 - 400$ differences between this ones and the box version) , i mean is there any chance for having a bad cpu in there?
    and i also would like to know if we loose the warranty when we OC a cpu.
    because on intel website there's a page talking about OC so there's maybe a chance to keep the warranty even with OC...
    thanks for your help

cheers

Xtreme Cruncher
    iirc the only difference between OEM and retail is that one comes with a cooler and the other does not

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

ok cool, and what about the warranty?
    I mean if i OC my cpus, does it avoid the warranty?

I am Addicted!
    I do not think overclocking voids it as long as you stay within all the limits of the cpu, but I could be wrong. I can say out of all the cpu's I have had; I have not had 1 fail from overclocking, ever. I think the only way you would fry a cpu is if you go extreme with voltages or if you do not keep an eye on your temps.
    For 4ghz range should be fairly easy with the cpu's you have listed. Just make sure you use good aftermarket coolers or h2o.

as far as oem; Origin is correct; only difference is warranty and HSF

also make sure you use a good thermal paste. everyone here has their own opinions. I like arctic silver 5 or IC diamond
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - May 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

ok thanks a lot for your answers, actually you helped a lot.
    i sent an email to intel for knowing about warranty issues if I OC the cpus, waiting for an answer right now...but i'm quite sure i will take OEM ones, something like 300 - 400 $ difference/cpu...it's a lot of money!

Administrator
    Also to consider

Retail CPU's that come with a box, not sure if these Xeons come with a cooler. But RMA for them goes through Intel.

OEM RMA's go through the place of purchase, like Newegg for example.

If you get them from eBay I am not sure how RMA's would be delt with but I highly doubt Intel will.

I am not 100% sure about that, but it's something you might be interested in looking into.

Admin
    Intel doesn't warranty OEM but I doubt if your going to kill them. You will get no warranty what so ever if you buy from eBay. If you buy OEM through a store like Newegg, you will get the 30 day warranty.
    There is always a risk involved will buying eBay.
    If you want OEM go through Newegg or other good online store.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

just had a guy directly on ebay concerning the processors they sell, they provides the warranty for one year and it does cover OC.
    they sell two kind of processors, some of them are 'refurbished', by that it mean that they take CPUs from existing machine like HP, proliant and others, and the others are new coming in trails...
    newegg.ca doesn't sell OEM versions of these computer, i found NCIX but the price is identical as the box version, so no interest for me...
    i could get a x5670 (SLBV7) for 1140$, retail price is around 1450$ for the lowest prices on the web, so what should i do? considering that i don't want to overclock more than 3.7 / 3.8ghz on air with noctua NHC-14.
    Last edited by lopium; 05-13-2011 at 06:23 PM.

I am Addicted!
    do you definitely want to go hex core; or is quad core ok? you could possibly check the FS sections on different forums if thats any interest to you.; would save a good bit of money for you.
    As mentioned before; I seriously doubt you will have any issues that would involve warranty or need for replacement. Hex core chips for the Sr-2 will be a good bit of dough, but if you can get by with quads; you have a bigger variety and probably easier to find.

The decision really falls into what you are truly comfortable with. I, myself do not mind buying used if coming from a trustworthy member/seller. I have also bought chips off ebay with great luck and no issues. I tend to go where the best deal is and have had great success.
    I am currently trying to buy another SR-2 from a member and will be looking for a set of chips myself, not sure what i to go for yet; probably just a good set of quads this time around

thanks so much for your advice, but yeah i would definitevely go for hex. core, the much cores i have on one machine the better it is...
    the guy seems to be honest, he has 99.9% positives feed and he's a top seller ebay,
    they also have a website dedicated for profesionals that need servers and stuffs like that...
    I will probably go with this guy for a pair of X5670...

I am Addicted!
    nice choice; I have a set of those myself. Great chips.
    Good luck with your build

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown View Post
    iirc the only difference between OEM and retail is that one comes with a cooler and the other does not
    NO.

Retail = full warrenty Via Intel direct and typically in excess of 3 yrs.

OEM = Vendor Limited Warrenty.
    Meaning ur at the mercy of the vendor.

If your getting it via Ebay, you probably only have DOA on it.
    Meaning they will just gaurentee that its not Dead on Arival.
    But once that cpu dies, you will be out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by lopium View Post
    ok cool, and what about the warranty?
    I mean if i OC my cpus, does it avoid the warranty?
    Yes.

However chances given you will probably lie to intel anyhow.
    But to answer your warrenty question, if your so firm on warrenty, get the retail package.
    on OEM typically it doesnt last longer then 30 days.... unless its newegg, which they do offer 1 yr OEM warranties.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 05-24-2011 at 01:15 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.