Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water cooling cases?

Xtreme Member

Water cooling cases?

Hello,

Looking around, there seems to be a lack of cases designed for serious water cooling.

There are cases like the 7/800D, but the way the radiator is mounted means it's either exhausting into or drawing air out of the case innards, reducing the overall effectiveness of the cooling setup.

Products like the TJ07 don't have this issue, but even then only one large radiator can be installed in the ideal way.

I think there are cases out there which wouldn't have either issue (mountain mods?), but they don't seem to be of great build quality and I would therefore worry about issues such as acoustics due to vibrations, which the more mainstream commercial cases don't suffer as badly from.

There was a case in the recent Bit-tech/Phobya competition, the "Proteus", and this seems like an ideal solution.

It seems to have the potential to be of solid construction, allows for multiple large radiators to be installed in the ideal "duct" position (so that airflow is seperate from the case compartment containing the system components) with plenty of space for mounting parts such as pumps and reservoirs.

Are there any cases out there like this?

I understand water cooling is still a pretty small "market", hardly what you'd call mainstream and therefore the lack of competition or variety of products is not surprising. Still, I thought it'd be worth asking in case I overlooked something.

I am Xtreme
    Search for Little Devil PC-V8. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good Luck,
    John

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrouse View Post

Good Luck,
    John
    You'll be unpleasantly surprised at the price too.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    You'll be unpleasantly surprised at the price too.

Xtreme Addict
    The selection for water cooled cases has never been better. There are so many options out there now. Water cooling with large radiators is still far from mainstream, so I wouldn't expect a large amount of mainstream cases designed for water cooling.

Xtreme Member
    Mountain Mods has a nice selection of WC cases.
    Under the hood:
    Motherboard - MSI Big Bang Xpower
    CPU - Intel Core I7 970 3.2 @ 4.4ghz/w 1.28vcore
    Cooler- Intel Stock Heatsink
    RAM - Gskill Trident 3x2gb @ 2100 cl9
    GPU -2x Nvidia GTX 580 SLI
    Soundcard - Creative xfi xtremegamer
    DVDRW - LG 22x DVD RW Drive
    Samsung Spinpoint f3 500gb HDD
    Tower- MM Ascension CYO Brushed Aluminum
    Monitor - Sony Bravia 40" LED 1080p 120hz
    Keyboard - Razer Tarantula
    Mouse - Logitech G5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    CaseLabs, Best WC'ing cases on the market right now.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

I am Xtreme
    If you can afford it, have a custom case built to your specs.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for all the great advice guys.

I had a look at that, but it basically has the same issue as the TJ07 from what I can tell, it only will allow for one large radiator.

Mountain Mods has a nice selection of WC cases.
    I mentioned them in my original post - I don't think they'd be suitable because the build quality doesn't seem to be great with respect to the acoustic properties. The ideal case for me would be built so as to avoid as much as possible vibration/resonance, that's where the majority of the noise in my system seems to come from. I invest more and more with every build in trying to eliminate vibration, but I never succeed. Also, the MM cases have the raditors mounted so that they'd be exhausting into the case, which I want to avoid.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm finding it difficult to find any overview of their products.

I've seen a few photos on their sub-forum, and it looks promising, but can't find any actual solid information. Where would I order them from for example? It seems their site is still under construction ("coming soon...").

If you can afford it, have a custom case built to your specs.
    I did think about this. Maybe asking my friend to do some renders, and getting the case made based on those.

However, I simply wouldn't know where to start WRT manufacturing. Which companies out there would build PCs to custom specs?
    Last edited by Odai; 05-12-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Haha.

Will do, I'll have a look.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
    Those are very nice cases.

Any idea on where they can be purchsed ?
    I have looked around but cannot seem to find them anywhere

nvm, I see they are "Coming Soon"

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    Ehem...

Take at look at some of my recent threads and then send me a PM if you're interested.
    Rich is highly recommended!!! He also has the GWCC Seal Of Approval.

Xtreme Mentor
    I tend to prefer to have the radiators exhaust into the case. Thats 3 (for a triple rad) less intake fans that i need. The air temp rises only a few degrees going through the rad so i dont see the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odai View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm finding it difficult to find any overview of their products.

I've seen a few photos on their sub-forum, and it looks promising, but can't find any actual solid information. Where would I order them from for example? It seems their site is still under construction ("coming soon...").
    The cases are available now. I think you just email Jim and he'll take care of you. As far as an overview, there's lots of posts over there with people sharing their experiences with the different cases.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odai View Post
    Hello,

Products like the TJ07 don't have this issue, but even then only one large radiator can be installed in the ideal way.
    You can put ,ore than one. Easy to put a 480 and 240 rad in bottom of TJ-07. Plenty of radiator.

Xtreme Mentor
    Everything you want to know about Caselabs can be found here:

http://www.overclock.net/case-labs/

For comparing the different models:

http://www.overclock.net/case-labs/9...mparisons.html

For ordering and questions:

http://www.overclock.net/case-labs/9...-shipping.html

I have both the UF2O and the Ascension cases and I have been drooling over the Case Labs cases for the last two days. The pricing ranges from $360 to $480 before options. They look well made, don't have the gap around the 5 1/4" bays like MM cases and they have wire management. Oh, they also support 25mm or 15mm spacing without having to order different panels. The only downside I have found is there is no option for a horizontal MB tray and they are still a box type case. I am seriously considering selling my MM cases so I can get one of the MH10 cases.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Member
    I am seriously considering selling my MM cases so I can get one of the MH10 cases.
    Why settle, go for the TX10!

Banned
    Just bought an M8 myself. Will be posting over the next couple months a new build log - going to be a thing of beauty! With the CaseLabs, there's room for two PSU's in the stock config. What does that mean? I can pair a couple of fanless PSU's The options.... oh the options.

danger den cases also, they seem to be built solid. and i like the color options. ldr29 can fit a quad and a triple.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://murdermod.com/

"Yes, One of these products is a case that will be manufactured for us by Silverstone!"

you want the ultimate case for watercooling? how about the ultimate case modder's own case.. ( ultimate imo 9000< )
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Xtreme Member
    Thanks again for all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    I tend to prefer to have the radiators exhaust into the case. Thats 3 (for a triple rad) less intake fans that i need. The air temp rises only a few degrees going through the rad so i dont see the problem.
    It's because heat from the system ends up being dumped back in to the system. One of the reasons I switched to water cooling was to be able to have the heat removed directly from the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris
    Everything you want to know about Caselabs can be found here:

http://www.overclock.net/case-labs/

For comparing the different models:

http://www.overclock.net/case-labs/9...mparisons.html

For ordering and questions:

http://www.overclock.net/case-labs/9...-shipping.html

I have both the UF2O and the Ascension cases and I have been drooling over the Case Labs cases for the last two days. The pricing ranges from $360 to $480 before options. They look well made, don't have the gap around the 5 1/4" bays like MM cases and they have wire management. Oh, they also support 25mm or 15mm spacing without having to order different panels. The only downside I have found is there is no option for a horizontal MB tray and they are still a box type case. I am seriously considering selling my MM cases so I can get one of the MH10 cases.
    Thanks for that. However, it is still difficult to get much information on any one product. There is a lot of confusing information due to the way it is presented. I think I'll just have to wait until they get their site up and running.

With those Case Labs set ups, where exactly are the radiators mounted, and where do they draw the air from/dump it to?

I'm not too sure about going for a "cube" case, as there seems to be a lot of space wasted. I still think maybe something along the lines of the Proteus case would be ideal.

In terms of a getting a custom case manufactured, are there any alternatives? It would be easiest if I could find someone in Europe to get it built.

Xtreme Mentor
    Rads are mounted up top with a cover that goes over them. Air can be sent into ot out of the case. Rads can also be mounted on the non-MB side and on a few of their cases in the floor. I would just email the guy and ask for the info. As far as getting a case built in Europe, the only one I know of is Little Devil and his case is so sweet, but expensive.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

I like this case and it's cheap Xigmatek Elysium

odai, you are mistaken the LD PC V8 can fit three quad rads with ease (two in the bottom and one on the top).
    Asus R3E, 950@4.2Ghz w/ EK HF Nickel block, GTX580 w/ EK Plexi-Nickel fullcoverblock/EK black backplate, 3x2Gb Corsair Dominator GT w/ MIPS Nickel-POM RAM cooler, OCZ Vertex 2 60GB (OS), WD Black 2TB (Games), WD Black 1TB (Data), 2 MCP355 using EK dual DDC top, 2x HWLabs SR-1 480 RAD with Typhoons in Black Little Devil PC-V8 case

Xtreme Member
    odai, you are mistaken the LD PC V8 can fit three quad rads with ease (two in the bottom and one on the top).
    Really? How?

I wouldn't use the top slot, as that would be using air from the system compartment. But if I can fit two quads in the bottom anyway, it shouldn't matter.

I like this case and it's cheap Xigmatek Elysium
    Unfortunately, that would also exhaust into the case.

Rads are mounted up top with a cover that goes over them. Air can be sent into ot out of the case. Rads can also be mounted on the non-MB side and on a few of their cases in the floor. I would just email the guy and ask for the info. As far as getting a case built in Europe, the only one I know of is Little Devil and his case is so sweet, but expensive.
    To be honest, I really am keen to keep the air through the radiators separate from the rest of the system. That's why I was so keen on the kind of design that the "Proteus" case I linked has. It may be then that the Case Labs products aren't what I'm after. I'll drop them an email to ask for more info.

It seems they are an off-shoot of a large industrial case manufacturing company anyway, so maybe they'll help me out with getting a custom case built if they don't have what I need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast