Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SA] Apple to move to ARM

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    It depends what I'd be doing with the box with that CPU in it. A core 2 with 4gb of memory has been enough for a while now. I can't tell the difference between my laptop with those specs and my quad/hex desktops backed with 8/12gb memory most of the time. For things like office, the internet, streaming video, email, there is no difference at all. Now if I fire up solid works, or a serious game, yeah, it's night and day. But for most people they aren't going to do that.

If apple can get an arm chip that works just fine for standard desktop apps, shoe horn some iOS functionality into it, add touch screen functionality to the OS, have a great form factor, and get amazing battery life I think they'd have a winner.

A lot of people are guilty of looking at portable improvements as "moar powah" but I'm not sold that's what most people want. Look at how well the ipad is doing and how ultra portables are the segment everybody wants.
    Im right with the fact most user will not see the difference in a laptop ( i say laptop, so internet browsing etc ), with a dual core 2 duo inside or a quadcore I7, it's not as Facebook will be displayed faster ....

But what is exactly the computing power of an ARM A9 dual core right now compared to actual dualcore ? 25% ? 35% ?

It will be like Apple ( it can be anyone, as Dell or HP etc ) who will use CPU with a computing power equal of what we had in the 2000 ? i don´t think.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Im right with the fact most user will not see the difference in a laptop ( i say laptop, so internet browsing etc ), with a dual core 2 duo inside or a quadcore I7, it's not as Facebook will be displayed faster ....

But what is exactly the computing power of an ARM A9 dual core right now compared to actual dualcore ? 25% ? 35% ?

It will be like Apple ( it can be anyone, as Dell or HP etc ) who will use CPU with a computing power equal of what we had in the 2000 ? i don´t think.
    this is true

i did notice that for my home PC, when i forced it to use the x4 multiplier, it took noticeably longer for bootup (ssd might be cpu limited then). but overall it felt normal, because most things i do outside of gaming runs it at idle speed. even watching high quality youtube (lol at that oxymoron), the cpu is idling around 5%, and the gpu is even idling, because of the hardware features that are optimized for it take over.

honestly, a full working PC off ARM is probably not nearly as scary as people think. the next HTC Evo is coming out soon, supposedly with 2x 1200mhz, lets compare that to my old 90mhz intel desktop tower i have in the basement.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Member
    I am by no means saying its going to happen or that this rumor is true, but judging by the vast majority of your responses it seems like none of you read the actual article and instead are basing your replies solely off the articles title.

If you were to read the article you'd find out this isn't anything happening in the near future. He suggests at the soonest 2-3 years, 2013 at the soonest. You also forget that Apple bought PI semi last year and then started designing their own chips around ARM designs (A4 and A5 chips in the iphone and ipad are based on Cortex A9). By 2013, nvidia's projects denver will be out, arm's own multi-core solutions+gpu will be out (4-8 cores) and all of which will be fully 64-bit. Its not out of the question that Apple would like to start designing their own chips (A7/A8 maybe) for their laptops/iMacs. Apple is known for this kind of stuff.

Charlie raises a good point. Apple has split product lines before with Core 2 duo laptops and nehalem towers. What prevents them from doing this again with their own A# chips (arm) in laptops/tablets/phones for the general masses and keeping high end intel chips in their towers for the professional/power users?

Not an Apple fanboy, or saying this is true, but its still very possible given the facts..At least in my opinion.
    Last edited by Tenknics; 05-09-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Addict
    I think Project Denver will make this possible, but it don't forsee it until 2013/2014... which gives Intel quite a bit of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If anything Apple will probably start a new line of laptops/tablets that feature an ARM CPU.... sort of like what we are seeing with the Xoom and Transformer tablets that are "convertable" to laptops yet they have touch screens.

I could easily see a line of Macbook air's(or notebooks of that size, super thin and lightweight) exclusively using ARM CPU's. It's what I have been essentially waiting for with Android notebooks..something to compete with the Macbook Air but would be Android based(or anything using ARM and being thin and light while not costing so much due to the Apple mark up).
    -Cpu:Opteron 170 LCBQE 0722RPBW(2.87ghz @ 1.300v)
    (retired)Opteron 146 (939) CAB2E 0540
    -Heatsink: Thermalright XP-90
    -Fan:120mm Yate Loon 1650 RPM @ 12V, 70.5 CFM, 33dB
    -Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 UT Ultra-D
    -Ram: Mushkin High Performance blue, 2gigs(2X1gig kit) PC3200 991434
    -Hard drive: Seagate 400GB Barracuda SATA HD 7200.10(AS noisey model)
    -Video card: evga 6800GS @520/1170
    -Case: P180
    -PSU:Enermax 535Watt EG565P-VE FMA (24P)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12