Thread: U2-UFO Facelift

Xtreme Member

U2-UFO Facelift

Hello XS,

I’m calling this project Facelift. This is mostly a cosmetic update to my case, but I just replaced some internals as well. I’ve always wanted to do a work log so this will be my first crack at doing so. I have found that I use my DVD drive less and less, as I mostly download anything I need. Also with the large storage drives we have I have no need to burn anything. I can get by without an optical drive for the most part, and if I need one in a pinch I can always just plug one in if I need to install an OS or whatever. In addition I have not touched the fan controller for years, and don’t see much point in controlling the speeds with a fancy dial, so I’m going to go with a minimalist look with this case. I will attempt to keep my color scheme to Black, Blue, and Silver at all possible. I also plan on going with two 360 Radiators in the near future so this will prepare the case to facilitate easy installation. Also, say hi to the project manager Lily. She will be overseeing each step in the process to ensure a quality result
    The Photo was taken with an Iphone, and it looks terrible, I'll see what I can do as far as picture quality is concerned.

More Updates tonight!
    Intel QX9650 @ 4.275 GHZ W/C
    Striker II Extreme 790i
    Corsair Dominator TWIN3X2048-1800C7DF G
    2x EVGA 9800 GTX SLI
    Raid 0 2X Western Digital RaptorX 150's
    Mountain Mods UFO Case
    Corsair HX1000w PSU

Xtreme Member
    Received my First shipment today! Its time to build my custom reservoir. This design will be very similar to one I purchased a few years ago from Mountain Mods. It was called the circulator reservoir. Sadly MM no longer produces it so I thought I'd make my own. I found this guide on bit tech, and am following it. This one will be much bigger, and sized to line up with a 120MM Fan Space. I will be mounting it to the top center of my new face that is on its way from Mountain Mods.
    5" x 1' Cast Acrylic Cylinder
    res1w.jpg

First I covered it with Frog Tape to protect the finish, then Measured to 2.75 inches long and Cut with a Saw on a miter box. I opted to do this by hand to avoid melting the acrylic by using power tools.
    res2am.jpg
    res3g.jpg

Once Cut its time to sand the edges smooth.
    I started with 80 Grit Sand Paper, then 100, then 220, 320, and finally 400 Grit sand paper to give the edge a nice smooth texture suitable for solvent welding.
    res4k.jpg

Once I was finished sanding it was time to give it a quick wash with some soapy water, and wiped down with a micro fiber towel.
    res5e.jpg

All clean and ready for the next step. I'll be waiting for more parts that will arrive next week!
    res6h.jpg
    Intel QX9650 @ 4.275 GHZ W/C
    Striker II Extreme 790i
    Corsair Dominator TWIN3X2048-1800C7DF G
    2x EVGA 9800 GTX SLI
    Raid 0 2X Western Digital RaptorX 150's
    Mountain Mods UFO Case
    Corsair HX1000w PSU

Xtreme Addict
    That dog is super cute, and reminds me of my own way back when
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320