Thread: Need Tips for Cleaning out Aluminum Dust

Question Need Tips for Cleaning out Aluminum Dust

So, I've dremeled and jigsawed my off, and have accumulated aluminum dust in every nook and cranny.

Canned air blows. Hee...

My shop vac sucks. Heh...

Does anyone out there have a sure-fire way to clean up my case (800D, BTW), *before* I load up and fry my new electronics?

Oh, and I'm probably going to do some limited carbon-fiber-type applications here and there, so whatever I do about the dust, it can't do anything to keep the carbon fiber from adhering well.

P.S. Don't keep your Dremel charger near your work area; mine went "buzzzzzzzzzzz... bzt!" and went tits up, and I suspect aluminum dust drifted into the vents on top (a design flaw, if you ask me).
    Last edited by mBrane; 05-05-2011 at 07:37 PM.

¿
    Compressed air....no not the kind in a can, the real stuff.

Noob Overclocker
    As above - also, get a magnetic ended thingy:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/telescopic-m...-up-tool-30608

This is what I used to clean out my 700d after doing my mods. Works great, just takes awhile.
    Zombie Killer Corsair 700D with Quad Rad mod+240 rad mod/Asus Maximus III Formula/i5 750 @ 4Ghz/8GB GSkill Trident/HIS HD 6990/Dell u2711/120GB Kingston SSD Now!/All under EK watercooling goodness!
    HTPC Lian Li V354B/i5 750/4GB Corsair/MSI HD5770/60GB GSkill Phoenix/Corsair H50/EVGA P55 Micro SLi

Thermo Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingTurtle View Post
    As above - also, get a magnetic ended thingy:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/telescopic-m...-up-tool-30608

This is what I used to clean out my 700d after doing my mods. Works great, just takes awhile.
    Aluminium is not magnetic bro

OK, I *really* like the enthusiasm so far.

Any time-tested recommendations out there?

The night is still young. I'll be sitting at the bar waiting.

Thx to all!

Noob Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by der8auer View Post
    Maybe, but then what are we dremeling then? The 800d and the 700d are made of the same thing - I can promise you I can pick up the extra bits with my mag piece after I mod my 700d. So maybe its not aluminium.
    Zombie Killer Corsair 700D with Quad Rad mod+240 rad mod/Asus Maximus III Formula/i5 750 @ 4Ghz/8GB GSkill Trident/HIS HD 6990/Dell u2711/120GB Kingston SSD Now!/All under EK watercooling goodness!
    HTPC Lian Li V354B/i5 750/4GB Corsair/MSI HD5770/60GB GSkill Phoenix/Corsair H50/EVGA P55 Micro SLi

Maybe, but then what are we dremeling then? The 800d and the 700d are made of the same thing - I can promise you I can pick up the extra bits with my mag piece after I mod my 700d. So maybe its not aluminium.
    Ummm, not to be snarky, but maybe you're picking up pieces of your mangled Chinese knock-off bits? ^_^

Seriously, just poking ya!

Noob Overclocker
    lol, all i know is that when I dremeled my case thats how I cleaned mine out. That stuff just sticks and gets in all the nooks and crannies!
    Didnt know that alu wasnt magnetic until you pointed that out though.

IT Engineer in the making
    I guess it is a) an Aluminum-alloy and not pure Aluminum, which could be one reason why it reacts to a magnet. And b) I guess using the dremel on the material could have another effect.
    Anyway, if it works, then it works.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Legend
    What doesn't blow out with compressed air you could maybe wash out with good old soap and water or, if you don't want to get it wet, then get yourself some of the various forms of tape.....masking tape, duct tape etc. the sticky side will pick up just about anything.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Maybe try some kind of putty, silly putty might work

Exclamation Soylent Green is PEOPLE!

lol, all i know is that when I dremeled my case thats how I cleaned mine out. That stuff just sticks and gets in all the nooks and crannies!
    Didnt know that alu wasnt magnetic until you pointed that out though.
    Ummm, I am *so* sorry, RT! By golly, that dust *does* stick to a magnet! Corsair's site lists the 800D as aluminum faceplate, with steel structure.

I didn't even *try* to use a magnet, because I assumed that the case was aluminum. I should probably replace my aluminum rivets with steel rivets now, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm glad that I spun up this thread! Thx to all!
    Last edited by mBrane; 05-08-2011 at 07:03 AM.

Noob Overclocker
    Nice, post some pics of your modding!

Nice, post some pics of your modding!
    Will do. Trying to figure out the "smart" way of doing a build log. I see that some people reserve postings up front, to post pictures when they're finished.

I need to read some FAQs. Again, sorry I every doubted you on the Obsidians being steel!

XS - Extra Strong
    Use your garden hose.
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -Geforce 7900Gt 755/1863 1.562v vgpu
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by der8auer View Post
    just get an aluminum magnet?

Quote Originally Posted by lalPOOO View Post
    Use your garden hose.
    i use a squirtgun. much easyer than lugging hose thru my house.

Edit: ahh fixed already. then for anyone who does dremel aluminum.

I usually try using a vac and canned air at the same time. Get almost all of it out.

Hold a vac near where your gonna hit with the canned air and stir it into the air and then the vac will get it.

Other than that wet paper towel or cloth if its just a little patch in some where swipable.

For steel and such HD magnets are great and usually available to someone modding a computer.
    Last edited by Metal Wolf; 05-24-2011 at 07:39 PM.

I've always used industrial compressed air (100 PSI or more) and it works well. Basically anything with some kinetic energy will do the trick, be it pressurized air or water.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    If you use a vacuum cleaner for your cleanouts, taping a short length of plastic hose - say about 12mm outside diameter - into the end of the normal hose, and blocking the gap with more tape, allows you to get into the hard-to-reach places a lot better than you can with the standard household cleaning fittings.
    A small cheap paintbrush is very handy for mobilising the dust or filings as you suck them up.

That's also the combination I use for periodic cleanouts of the dust in my computers.
    A stiffer brush like a toothbrush can be useful for cooling fins.
    Never brush or touch an Intel LGA CPU socket! Unless you're trying to straighten the pins you bent before you knew this
    So far, a paintbrush has been OK on PCI(E)/RAM sockets tho.
    HTH

Arrow

So, from the looks of it, not everyone has thought a lot about the effects of having loose aluminum or steel dust inside their case, how to remove it, how to be relatively certain that the risk has been mitigated, or simply how to prevent its accumulation in the first place.

We'll never know how many RMAs result from mishandling, improper installation, environmental hazards (eg. metal dust, humidity, ventilation/cooling, etc.), faulty components, or manufacturer assembly defects.

... would love to see the pie chart, though!

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by mBrane View Post
    So, from the looks of it, not everyone has thought a lot about the effects of having loose aluminum or steel dust inside their case, how to remove it, how to be relatively certain that the risk has been mitigated, or simply how to prevent its accumulation in the first place.

We'll never know how many RMAs result from mishandling, improper installation, environmental hazards (eg. metal dust, humidity, ventilation/cooling, etc.), faulty components, or manufacturer assembly defects.

... would love to see the pie chart, though!
    Well, steel can easily be cleaned up with a magnet. I'd say pull out everything including the power supply and stick the case in the shower.
    Last edited by MRip; 06-07-2011 at 10:15 AM.