Thread: MSI Z68A-GD80 B3 Motherboard

Smile MSI Z68A-GD80 B3 Motherboard

Thanks to my friends in MSI and they just sent me a sample of their latest Z68A-GD80 motherboard. Breaking down the model name itself you have the corresponding specs:
    Z68 - Intel based chipset
    A - Sata 6GB/s and USB 3.0 connections
    G - Categorized as Gaming motherboard because of multi GPU support
    D - MSI's DrMOS (Driver in Mosfet). Enables you to control the power saving features of the board through bios and they are way better than a regular mosfet. Does not heats up, stable and voltage efficient.
    80 - The higher the number, the more features the motherboard have. Superpipe heatsink, Military Class II Components, Voltage Check Points, OC Genie, etc...
    B3 - Solves the performance degradation with SATA 3 Gb/s

Flipping the upper box cover you will find some interesting information about other MSI features. You have the so-called "Super Charger" which lets you charge USB handheld devices even if your computer is turned off. "Winki 3" free linux based OS. "Click Bios" MSI's EFI bios and lastly "Instant OC" which makes overclocking easier for users.

Moving forward, below are the bundled accessories for the board.
    1. Manuals and Software DVD (this includes the Winki3 OS. To enable it you just have to boot to this media disc)
    2. 4pin to SATA Power Cable
    3.Easy guide for connecting your Casing front panel cables into the board header
    4. MSI's new L Shape SATA cables
    5. SLI Bridge
    6. USB 3.0 PCI Bracket
    7. Vcheck Point Connectors

The Z68A-GD80 motherboard. The layout is pretty the same with the previous P67A-GD80 that MSI just released a month ago. SLI and crossfire capable and with latest technology that the Z68 has to offer, it can switch to onboard or discrete graphics which all depends on the graphic software being used by the user. There is also called SSD Cache booster which is said to increase your Overall System performance by 10%. I heard that this is only for Intel Branded SSD but correct me if I'm wrong hehehehe.

By the way, I forgot to include the rear I/O port terminals here in my post but I assure you it has VGA and DVI connection for display output. Check out the pic below

At the bottom part of the board you will find the OC Genie, Power and Reset buttons. You will also find the onboard audio chip covered with THX TruStudio Pro Plate.

SATA 6GB/s are color white while the black are SATA 3GB/s . All are connected straight to Intel Z68 chip. Say bye bye to 3rd party SATA 6GB/s provider

---------------------------------------------------------
    Vcheck points - measures the actual voltages of certain parts of the board using a multimeter. Very handy for overclockers.

Lastly, the processor socket area. All surrounded by Military Class II components and powered up by 12 Phases.

So that's my share. By next week, I would be able to show you guys the performance and the overclocking capability of this board.

Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll be looking if there are any OC improvements vs P67 or even performance improvements

I think the SSD Caching is for any brand of SSD - pretty sure that is the case.

Nice preview - what about the video outputs? Can you put a shot of those? What is the estimated price for this?
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz
    TRUE 120 Extreme @ Scythe S-FLEX 1600rpm
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill RipjawsX PC12800 CL8 1.5V
    AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    2x 6950@70 2GB CrossfireX
    Dell U2711
    OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB SSD
    Samsung F3 500gb HDD
    Silverstone FT-02B-W

I like it Its less USB 3.0 ports then on the P67-GD80 but in return it's one more sata port. This is a better option for me, and I would consider this rater then the P67 model. I suspect that OC should not be a problem on this bord.

my mistake. the board's display outputs are DVI and HDMI

Meh.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Wait, so no support for more than 2 sata6 ports? Thought I read while back there would be at least four or more..