3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Design 1

3 100.00%
  • Design 2

0 0%

Thread: What do you think of my pot?

Xtreme Member

What do you think of my pot?

I want a pot, but I'm on a budget so I decided I'm going to make my own.

Stopped by the hardware store, and came up with two designs. I didn't have my money with me, so I didn't buy either but that worked out because now I can get input on which of my two designs I should go with.

The end cap that I'll use as a base and the two larger tubings (they didn't have any tubing that was longer, so I'm gonna have to use those two pieces if I want that height) are both 2". I found a thick copper insert that fits perfectly in the end cap and adds decent weight, that piece alone costs $14.

Total I would say it weighs around 5LB

Total height of both designs will be this, now that I'm home and have a ruler...that's about 7" tall.

The view down the top of design 1

The base of design 1

Individual components of design 1

Idea for design 2, but I forgot I could also add 1 of those small tubes like in design 1 to the center here.

Better view of what's going on in design 2

Design 2 has a small gap at the bottom, and the "step down" sized tube doesn't fit snug in the ring, so acetone could actually go up and surround it better.

Please let me know your thoughts on which design I should go with, and if you have any ideas to improve upon the design.
    The only issue I see with design 1 is there will be a lot of technical soldering to get those 3 inner tubes mounted.

Lastly, I have a question on my soldering...do I need to use a MAP torch for this? What type of solder should I use? And do you think I'll have issues with being sealed off to leaks?

Edit: forgot to mention this is for DICE.
    Last edited by fl0w3n; 05-02-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister
    Do you really go on your computer...to look at computers?

Xtreme Member
    You would probably be better off buying a $50 cylinder of copper and drilling out some holes in it. I do not think either of your designs would have enough mass to hold any sort of load from a semi-modern CPU. That is really the only problem I can see with them.

Good luck with it though!

either of those will work fine for dry ice. but if you don't want to be spending millions of dollars and tons of time pouring dice then i would recommend a little more mass !

I am Xtreme
    where are you from sir? maybe some of the guys here are local to yah...

which cpu do you intend on benching subzero?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wumpus View Post
    You would probably be better off buying a $50 cylinder of copper and drilling out some holes in it. I do not think either of your designs would have enough mass to hold any sort of load from a semi-modern CPU. That is really the only problem I can see with them.

I've seen that one site that sells all forms of copper, is that what you're talking about? Got a link? You sure it's only $50?

What type of weight would I want for DICE? This thing weighs probably 5 LB's, a quick glance at Piortes pot and it weighs just under 5 LB as a reference. I could add more of those thick copper rings which weigh a decent amount, but they are $14 a piece...

Quote Originally Posted by cold.nut View Post
    either of those will work fine for dry ice. but if you don't want to be spending millions of dollars and tons of time pouring dice then i would recommend a little more mass !
    Any suggestions on a weight to shoot for? I'll try and bring a small scale to the shop lol, just to test the weight before I buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    where are you from sir? maybe some of the guys here are local to yah...

which cpu do you intend on benching subzero?
    I'm in SoCal, I would love if some one were local and had a pot and experience to share with me

I plan on benching my w3520 and 580 for points, 580 on air though, but I will probably test it out on a P4 and Athlon setup first just to make sure I have my technique down.

By my rough calculations, that metal ring weighs 687g by itself. I could also buy some copper BB's from Big5 and fill the bottom with that (added too, or instead of those 3 tubes) which will give me more mass and more surface area too.
    Last edited by fl0w3n; 05-02-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Thermo Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Wumpus View Post

I can just agree on this. You'll have much more success with a massive copper cylinder, drill holes in it and then solder a copper pipe on top. A Cylinder with 50x50 or 60x60mm + pipe will do it's job.

This is a drawing of one of my first pots. Copperbase with 50x60mm cylinder + 50x130mm copper pipe. Maybe helps you a bit

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by der8auer View Post
    I can just agree on this. You'll have much more success with a massive copper cylinder, drill holes in it and then solder a copper pipe on top. A Cylinder with 50x50 or 60x60mm + pipe will do it's job.

This is a drawing of one of my first pots. Copperbase with 50x60mm cylinder + 50x130mm copper pipe. Maybe helps you a bit
    IMG]http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/members/der8auer-albums-pot-bilder-841-picture330690-user532-pic12625-12373068692222.jpg[/IMG]

Hey thanks for posting that, appreciate sharing the design.

So I'm going to listen to you guys, and I'll go back to the store one last time to see if there's any combination I can get that will weigh enough in the base...and if not I think I'll just wait till summer and I'll buy a big name pot or something

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Can't really add to what the others have said. Good pots are a mix of weight and surface area, but both have to be in the right place

Looking at your pot, i'm not sure how it gets to ~5Lbs.... the thick ring looks a bit weighty, but the rest is..... a bit useless

Better taking criticism now and now having anything massively overheat At least you've taken the stop to make your own... i've been sub-zero for 3? years and i've never done that
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Can't really add to what the others have said. Good pots are a mix of weight and surface area, but both have to be in the right place

Looking at your pot, i'm not sure how it gets to ~5Lbs.... the thick ring looks a bit weighty, but the rest is..... a bit useless

Better taking criticism now and now having anything massively overheat At least you've taken the stop to make your own... i've been sub-zero for 3? years and i've never done that
    Yeah I didn't really think I could get a perfect pot first try, especially with store materials. But I am only going to do it if it will be worth my effort and money.

It's an estimate, it felt relatively hefty when I was holding it (I am mainly considering it to a 5 LB bag of cheese I happened to have in my hand shortly prior )

I posted it here for the criticism I'm glad I have input now, because I know what to shoot for.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Weight is important when it sits above the thermal load. Having two pounds of copper in your sidewall is useless. Go get yourself a 3" diameter round bar slug of maybe 2 inches in length. This should run you $40 to $60(been a while since I did this). Then find a buddy with a drill press and drill holes into the slug. Braze on a segment of 3" pipe and voila.

I'd suggest for the mounting hardware to mount from the top of the pot so you have a continuous segment of insulation down the entire length of the pot. Mid-length mounts in general cause problems with condensation forming on the mounting bracket where it contacts the pot and dribbling out.

edit: In the end it is typically better to just pony up another $100 and get a pot from someone who pumps these out. It is fun to build some things but mounting hardware is a to create. The Koolance CPU-LN2 Rev 2(You only want the rev2) is only ~$180 shipped and I think K|NGP|N has a cheap dry ice base coming out(PM him maybe?).
    Last edited by [XC] gomeler; 05-13-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Weight is important when it sits above the thermal load. Having two pounds of copper in your sidewall is useless. Go get yourself a 3" diameter round bar slug of maybe 2 inches in length. This should run you $40 to $60(been a while since I did this). Then find a buddy with a drill press and drill holes into the slug. Braze on a segment of 3" pipe and voila.

I'd suggest for the mounting hardware to mount from the top of the pot so you have a continuous segment of insulation down the entire length of the pot. Mid-length mounts in general cause problems with condensation forming on the mounting bracket where it contacts the pot and dribbling out.

edit: In the end it is typically better to just pony up another $100 and get a pot from someone who pumps these out. It is fun to build some things but mounting hardware is a to create. The Koolance CPU-LN2 Rev 2(You only want the rev2) is only ~$180 shipped and I think K|NGP|N has a cheap dry ice base coming out(PM him maybe?).
    Also look out for used pots... I ended up with a KP Venom 5.0 w/ universal mounting for just $110 It sees its first use next weekend.
    Smile