Thread: laptop monitoring tool and acceptable temps

XSDCMF

laptop monitoring tool and acceptable temps

just like the subject title says

i just got a SB laptop and would like to do some crunching with it. however, i'd like to keep an eye on things. i'm fairly unfamiliar with the laptop world and want to have an idea of what temps are acceptable and what temps might be pushing the edges of "not good".

anyone?
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Member
    Laptops tend to run pretty hot when crunching. I accept anything below 80*c. When I first started crunching with my laptop I was hitting 100*C. After undervolting and getting a laptop cooler I brought that down to 70-80*c.

If your temps start exceeding 80*c I would look into undervolting because I've found it to be the most efficient way to lower your temps, and it's free!

Cruncher #1: i7 860 @ 3.6GHz
    Cruncher #2: "WatSon" i7 4670k @ 4.0GHz / GTX 760 for GPUGRID

XSDCMF
    Thanks for the quick reply.

It's a quad so I imagine the temps will rise pretty good.

So monitoring tools? The usual suspects? CoreTemp, Speedfan, etc.?

I haven't even looked into the BIOS yet. I mean, its' a Dell so I don't expect a lot of adjustability. How do you undervolt a laptop. By software or BIOS?
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Member
    Any monitoring tools should be fine. I use Real Temp but I'm sure the ones you listed would work fine too. As for undervolting guides, there's a couple. The first one is RMClock. The interface is nice and has a lot of options but it tends to not be compatible with newer CPUs. The second is Throttlestop. At first I tried RMClock and when I realized that my CPU wasn't compatible I found Throttlestop and that one works with a much wider range of CPUs.

I'll link the guide to both of them but it might save you some time to just skip right to Throttlestop because I don't think RMClock has been updated yet. Download links are in the guide links. If you have trouble following the guide then you can just message me or post here and I should be able to help you.

In case you were wondering, undervolting only lowers the voltages and therefor lowers the temps of your CPU while not effecting it's performance.

RMClock

Throttlestop

Cruncher #1: i7 860 @ 3.6GHz
    Cruncher #2: "WatSon" i7 4670k @ 4.0GHz / GTX 760 for GPUGRID

XSDCMF
    well temps are at or just under 80C, so i guess i better look into that program...
    Somebody, Stop Me!

XSDCMF
    well throttlestop isn't going to let me lower the voltage...

" Software adjustable core voltage is no longer available on the newer Core i7/i5/i3 processors."
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Member
    I have a laptop that crunches occasionally as well.
    Problem was that it got so hot that it would shut off xD
    So I started monitoring temps and it went well over 80 C and shutoff around the 100C mark.

An other thing I noticed that the hard disk got very hot as well as a result of the CPU heat. (60+ while rated at max 60)

I changed to running to 1 core only (out of 2). Sucks, but it improved the temps A LOT and allowed me to work on it much better too.

Main Rig:
    - i7 2600k + Noctua NH-C14 - GTX 570
    - 16 GB RAM - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    - 1x 256GB Corsair Performance Pro SSD
    - 1x 256GB Samsung 830 SSD

Crunch-Fu Adept
    NHC - Notebook Hardware Control

http://www.pbus-167.com/

Nevertheless, I don't recommend crunching on a laptop. 95% simply can't handle long-term by design. Some components "in there" are already uncomfortably hot just by browsing or playing videos.

Undervolt for battery-life and silence
    Last edited by Aerou; 05-02-2011 at 05:34 AM.
    Sometimes a good slap in the face is all you need

Bios my arss.....
    I can fix this problem with a hardware mod....
    Hipro5

"Overclock till death. Overclocking is life." Hipro5

Xtreme Cruncher
    NHC is old...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crunch-Fu Adept
    Quote Originally Posted by Bail_w View Post
    NHC is old...
    Nope, the last "stable" release is, but the BETA is good to go for Core i3,i5,i7 ...

Check the download page
    Sometimes a good slap in the face is all you need

Bios my arss.....
    I can fix this problem with a hardware mod....
    Hipro5

"Overclock till death. Overclocking is life." Hipro5

keep the screen up as that lowers temps 5-10C with my lappie (t4200) an i have been crunching for more than a year now (about a year non stop) and i dont experience any probs. but temps are definately more a concern than on desktops.

Tell it it's a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: and threaten it with replacement

D_A on an UPS and life

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] serlv View Post
    just like the subject title says

i just got a SB laptop and would like to do some crunching with it. however, i'd like to keep an eye on things. i'm fairly unfamiliar with the laptop world and want to have an idea of what temps are acceptable and what temps might be pushing the edges of "not good".

anyone?
    S.B. means you'll have to get the newest tools for to see proper values, even then all the oldies don't work 100% with S.B. the latest RealTemp works well with S.B
    As for crunching I usually put my Dell on line during SC week and the temps run cooler 58-62C than when I use the laptop normally (70-82c)! Why, because I set the clam shell on edge and put a small fan blowing onto the bottom.
    The orientation of the laptop is the key when crunching! I don't know where some laptop designer's get their ideas for air flow but a lot of laptops like mine have poor air flow when used as designed! So in my case setting it on edge with a small slow speed fan does the trick.