Thread: GFWL broken on all 64bit platforms?

c[_]

GFWL broken on all 64bit platforms?

I was trying DiRT 2 out on my Win7-64 system and it was giving me the same corrupt save deal as WinXP-64 currently does due to a software block. This is on a fresh install so it might be that people with the save info already set up are ok.

Anyone got Vista-64 to test with too?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    XP/Vista/Win7 64 bit all worked fine for me with GFWL online and offline accounts. Dirt2, Batman AA etc all work fine with no problems there are no software restrictions with 64bit.

try uninstalling GFWL then installing the one that came with the game, when it updates it can get messed up and if u have something that securom dose not like GFWL can break since its an extension of securom and now sony secure disk.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I've never been able to get GFWL to work on any system I've used. It could just be me but odds are against that

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Only issues I've had with GfWL was some time ago a certain title I don't recall wouldn't launch, but installing the latest GfWL version worked. Recently though I installed the Red Faction Guerrilla 1.2 patch, which has to be manually installed via a Run command and though I did get it to install the GfWL GUI in that game now looks very faint. I have not checked to see how it looks in other GfWL games though. It also seemed to leave my desktop and web pages looking slightly washed out, but recalibrating the display via the Windows tool by dropping gamma slightly and retuning Clear Type made it go away.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    GFWL is broken trash. I hate having to use it with an absolute passion, as it's caused so many crashes for me.

You're not alone.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

-100C Club Member
    I reinstalled win-7 64bit a month ago and had to make GFWL update itself then it would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    sorry to hear about the dead cards, but.. If stuff ain't dieing, you aren't trying.

נְפִילִים

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by [DANGERDAN] View Post
    XP/Vista/Win7 64 bit all worked fine for me with GFWL online and offline accounts. Dirt2, Batman AA etc all work fine with no problems there are no software restrictions with 64bit.
    XP-64 is restricted, this is known.

Have tried fresh installs, no go.

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    XP-64 is restricted, this is known.

Have tried fresh installs, no go.
    there is a fix for dirt2 that removes the GFWL
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Addict
    Ive never had a problem with GFWL. I like being able to talk to my friends on XBox actually, but if a game didnt require it then that would be even better. But if a game does, I dont really mind.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    there is a fix for dirt2 that removes the GFWL
    I'm not finding it?

I'm not finding it?
    its from reloaded and u can not discus it further on XS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    When I read it I figured it was one of those "fixes" that rhymes with hack.

Xtreme Addict
    When Gears of War first drop I couldn't get gfwl to work,patches from ms eventually fixed it but it was a horrible experience.Just paid 50 dollars for something I can't use it was like I start game play first level then crash,ok now cant load campaign.When that got fixed I couldn't save the game pffttt.

Pie assassin
    odd, that behavior breaks gfwl technical requirement standards. the game should not have passed through the microsoft certification process if its 100% reproducable.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    odd, that behavior breaks gfwl technical requirement standards. the game should not have passed through the microsoft certification process if its 100% reproducable.
    i dont think that MS cares at all about GFWL in games, things get verified before they launch and windows updates have broken it before, then GFWL incorporates securom/sony dac secudisk but securom is broken and shuts off games or breaks your computer if u have anything like a program that can read disks at a bit lvl or emulates disks at bit lvl.

the only way to work with GFWL or securom is to patch it out with a crack and then the publishers wounder why the piracy download numbers are so high but if u want the game to work then u need to crack it so if u buy it or download it without paying u get a working game on the download but u get a box and unusable software from the purchase. its getting a little better now since EA is only using it for activation and not on steam for the most part but then its still broken if u have to install it affter u say break windows from a bad overclock or change drives a couple of times since your SSD decided to crap out on you.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 05-09-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    its from reloaded and u can not discus it further on XS
    probably why i had no problems xD

I am Xtreme
    Funny, never had any issues with GFWL. Vista 64-bit and Win7 64 Ultimate, since each launched.

I have a pretty extensive STEAM library too.

All that said, it's very likely some sort of software conflict is causing problems for you guys, or I'd ahve the same issues, none of which I've ever seen.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
    Funny, never had any issues with GFWL. Vista 64-bit and Win7 64 Ultimate, since each launched.

I have a pretty extensive STEAM library too.

All that said, it's very likely some sort of software conflict is causing problems for you guys, or I'd ahve the same issues, none of which I've ever seen.
    Win7-64 fixes are to remove all extra USB devices (only kb and mouse) and/or manually create directories for the game to save in.. works 85% of the time as far as I can tell after reading a couple hundred posts.

I am Xtreme
    Win7-64 fixes are to remove all extra USB devices (only kb and mouse) and/or manually create directories for the game to save in.. works 85% of the time as far as I can tell after reading a couple hundred posts.

Howzit going, dude?

I don't have any odd USB devices..a G27 racing wheel, a couple of 360 controllers, my backup drive, my USB 3.0 drive, and then the ports on my monitor.

Between Dirt2, F1 2010, and several other titles, I haven't noticed any issues at all.

c[_]
    Are you running on an old install and old save data or fresh, though?

I am Xtreme
    Are you running on an old install and old save data or fresh, though?
    Both. Review rig gets fresh installs with every board. The only game I use in my reviews is F1 2010. Works great.

My gaming rig, it's got game data on it from 6 years ago.

c[_]
    F1 2010 may not be affected, might want to try games that are known to be so far: DiRT 2 and GTA4 that I know of so far.

I am Xtreme
    F1 2010 may not be affected, might want to try games that are known to be so far: DiRT 2 and GTA4 that I know of so far.
    I have both titles, no issues. If it's a driving game, I got it.

Weird stuff. I'll keep it in mind, but the only issue that I have with the GWFL client is the number of updates required for some titles...F1 2010, for example, gets like 5, before you can access the benchmark mode.

And really, that is why I even psoted, wanna keep up to date on this one.

Xtreme Member
    -cleaning up some games I have not played so ,I downloaded LOST PLANET II from steam. [free] ,set it up[single player-off line] and every time I came close to finishing a level it would crash ,having a check point save system - I would have to start over again.
    -verified files and steam reported 6 files could not be repaired and downloaded them , but when the game started, GFWL window pop up said it needed to update -clicked ok. game still crashed. DX9 -DX11
    -before trashing the game , I checked with steam again and it said 6 files are bad again , repaired them , and when GFWL wanted to update I said no -on a whim ,and it said I had play off line , so big deal off line anyways and the game has not crashed once and does not have any tearing or video corruption as it had before . it really is not a bad looking port when it's not crashing.
    MVF WC ||3770k-KL370||CM932||AX1200||580 sli -EK||
    3XMCR320\w655 EK[basement]||w655 EK[HAF932] || VL4N||MR||2xfan controllers || 9 x S-Flex F -[rads]
    8gb Trident 2400||Samsung S27A850D||Win7HP-64||2x120gb G2 R0 OS||2x150Vraptors R0-backup|| G15,G13||G9x
    PC sound>forte analog>Yamaha 765>4xPSB alpha B1>alpha C1>10" sub [very clean sound].+sens PC360