Thread: Setting up Media Center with FIOS...

I am Xtreme

Setting up Media Center with FIOS...

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I have a VisionTek HD 650 PCI-E tuner and I just got my Verizon FIOS STB (non-DVR) in the mail. I connected it straight to my monitor via HDMI to activate it and it's working fine. Wanting to use it with MCE (since I use the monitor's HDMI for my PS3), I decided to plug the coax cable into my TV tuner coming from the FIOS STB. I go into MCE, run the setup, and am told it found a connection. Okay, great, I let everything else configure manually and it gets as far as downloading the correct media guide and channel listing, but no channels will work. Every channel is a scrambled grey screen. Doesn't matter if I change the channel in MCE or on my STB.

I know for the fact that I'm doing something wrong, so I'm hoping someone in here has advice for me. Anyone get this working properly before? I've spent the last few hours researching online but I haven't been able to find a lot of information

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcZ View Post
    Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I have a VisionTek HD 650 PCI-E tuner and I just got my Verizon FIOS STB (non-DVR) in the mail. I connected it straight to my monitor via HDMI to activate it and it's working fine. Wanting to use it with MCE (since I use the monitor's HDMI for my PS3), I decided to plug the coax cable into my TV tuner coming from the FIOS STB. I go into MCE, run the setup, and am told it found a connection. Okay, great, I let everything else configure manually and it gets as far as downloading the correct media guide and channel listing, but no channels will work. Every channel is a scrambled grey screen. Doesn't matter if I change the channel in MCE or on my STB.

I know for the fact that I'm doing something wrong, so I'm hoping someone in here has advice for me. Anyone get this working properly before? I've spent the last few hours researching online but I haven't been able to find a lot of information
    Did you buy this TV tuner with the intention of using it with FiOS? You can't just hook the coax into the TV tuner after the STB and expect to receive your channels. The coax coming out of the STB would only have analog channels in standard def, but I don't even know if FiOS has any analog channels (my guess is that they don't). You can try to plug the coax directly into your TV tuner (leave out the STB) and see what channels FiOS has in ClearQAM, but it probably won't be many. Your final option is to get an antenna and try to receive OTA broadcasts, but you will probably only get the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX).

If you want to really use your computer as a TV media center (ie, receive more than a few channels) your best bet is to buy a CableCARD tuner. ATI and Ceton have models available and SiliconDust has one coming out over the summer. It replaces your STB and allows you to get all of your channels on your computer.
    Last edited by HiJon89; 04-26-2011 at 10:22 AM.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Addict
    Component to s-video + RCA mini jack adapter.
    Change channels w/Verizon remote
    That box does not have coax output I believe.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    Component to s-video + RCA mini jack adapter.
    Change channels w/Verizon remote
    That box does not have coax output I believe.
    Unless you start messing with IR blasters you won't be able to record any TV shows on your computer with this setup. Do yourself a favor, go on eBay and get an ATI CableCard tuner for $120. You can return the STB which will save you money each month so the ATI tuner might actually pay for itself. Not to mention the Windows 7 Media Center interface is just light-years ahead of any STB and having used a TiVo Premiere for a few months I can safely say it is also far better than anything TiVo can offer.

EDIT: At $99 it's a no-brainer
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-TV-WONDER-DI...f#ht_500wt_949
    Last edited by HiJon89; 04-26-2011 at 01:45 PM.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

Xtreme Addict
    I have a ati tvtuner (pci) and You can record using that config w/ati software.

I used comcast box/s-video to breakout box and recorded a movie w/ati software.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89 View Post
    Did you buy this TV tuner with the intention of using it with FiOS? You can't just hook the coax into the TV tuner after the STB and expect to receive your channels. The coax coming out of the STB would only have analog channels in standard def, but I don't even know if FiOS has any analog channels (my guess is that they don't). You can try to plug the coax directly into your TV tuner (leave out the STB) and see what channels FiOS has in ClearQAM, but it probably won't be many. Your final option is to get an antenna and try to receive OTA broadcasts, but you will probably only get the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX).

If you want to really use your computer as a TV media center (ie, receive more than a few channels) your best bet is to buy a CableCARD tuner. ATI and Ceton have models available and SiliconDust has one coming out over the summer. It replaces your STB and allows you to get all of your channels on your computer.
    Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, that's pretty much what my intentions were. When I first got this TV-Tuner (about a year ago or so), my intention was to hook it up to my "live" FIOS coax cable hoping I would get all of my channels on MCE. I had obviously never researched TV Tuners, heh, but that's neither here nor there. I got it to work, but only the standard QAM channels (pretty much local HD channels). Based on the research I did at the time, I had concluded that I needed an STB in order for me to get premium HD channels and what-not. Fast forward to today, I finally got another STB and decided to hook it up, and low and behold it doesn't work. Everything you said makes perfect sense, but I guess I didn't think of it logically before, but now I do. So thanks for the clarification.

I think I'm going to end up selling my TV Tuner and just plugging the STB directly into my 2nd monitor (Asus VW266H) and use it that way. If I find an internal PCI/PCI-E CableCard tuner that's reasonably priced I might go with that, but I have enough "plug-in" peripherals on my desk as is so I'm going to opt out of the USB option for now.

There's one thing I'm still very confused about. If I were to get a CableCard tuner on my machine, which remote would I use to change channels? Meaning, I'm assuming I'd be plugging the STB directly into my tuner, so would that automatically sync up my STB remote with MCE? Or will the channel tuning still be done on the STB, but just automatically chance on MCE? Sorry if it seems confusing. Thank you for your responses thus far.

Xtreme Addict
    Do you have component out on that box ? Whats wrong w/ using catalyst media center.Just set it to vid 1 output and watch tv.You can't change channel in windows,you can only use the verizon remote.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 04-26-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I have a ati tvtuner (pci) and You can record using that config w/ati software.

I used comcast box/s-video to breakout box and recorded a movie w/ati software.
    I want to record every new episode of 30 Rock. How does that work with your setup? I need to remember to put my STB on NBC before each episode comes on don't I? Not exactly my idea of a DVR. He already has a computer to use as the HTPC which is the expensive part, he might as well spend a little more and get a CableCARD tuner which provides the best user experience. For example, I was arguing with someone on the TiVo forums about how slow the interface is on TiVo's compared to Windows 7 Media Center and made this little video to give an example (sorry taken on my cell phone):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSa734v7jwI
    If you're not familiar with Windows 7 Media Center, I'm watching X Games then I bring up the TV guide and see what's on a few different channels then I go back to the main menu, go up to Movie Guide and it pulls the covers for all of the movies that are currently on. I browse a little bit then I put on "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" Then I bring up the movie info, view the cast, and click on Sarah Jessica Parker. This pulls a list of all movies that she's in and also when they're playing. I navigate over to Footloose and decide to record it, and then I go back to watching the movie. I don't think an S-Video / breakout box setup can compare.

There's one thing I'm still very confused about. If I were to get a CableCard tuner on my machine, which remote would I use to change channels? Meaning, I'm assuming I'd be plugging the STB directly into my tuner, so would that automatically sync up my STB remote with MCE? Or will the channel tuning still be done on the STB, but just automatically chance on MCE? Sorry if it seems confusing. Thank you for your responses thus far.
    If you get a CableCARD tuner, there is no STB. Or another way to put it, your computer is the STB. So the TV signal goes from: COAX -> ATI CableCARD tuner -> USB/PCI-E -> Computer -> Monitor. There is no STB anywhere in there.

You can control Windows 7 Media Center with keyboard/mouse, or you can buy a Windows Media Center remote for your computer for like $20.
    Last edited by HiJon89; 04-26-2011 at 05:47 PM.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

I am Xtreme
    Do you have component out on that box ? Whats wrong w/ using catalyst media center.Just set it to vid 1 output and watch tv.You can't change channel in windows,you can only use the verizon remote.
    Hmmm, I'll have to check. Honestly I wouldn't mind having to use the Verizon remote to change channels, as long as I can view what I want to watch on my PC monitor.

And thanks HiJon, that makes perfect sense

Xtreme Addict
    I want to record every new episode of 30 Rock. How does that work with your setup? I need to remember to put my STB on NBC before each episode comes on don't I? Not exactly my idea of a DVR.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSa734v7jwI
    I don't think an S-Video / breakout box setup can compare.
    Your comparing a vid cable to media center,but anyway ondemand is the menu.The gpu has hdmi so will run 1080p( if cable box supports it through component(comcast=1080i)),setting 1080p in driver should upscale the 1080i source image.So cable box component out to tvtuner s-video in,then gpu hdmi out to tv/projector/monitor hdmi in.Set up software to aux/vid1 input use cable box native menu to navigate as before.

If your trying to record while away then you have to set to station prior unless its local the you would use coax w/media center scheduler.

Xtreme Addict
    Your comparing a vid cable to media center
    He already has a computer connected to his TV with Media Center so why not take advantage of it?

The gpu has hdmi so will run 1080p( if cable box supports it through component(comcast=1080i)),setting 1080p in driver should upscale the 1080i source image.So cable box component out to tvtuner s-video in,then gpu hdmi out to tv/projector/monitor hdmi in.Set up software to aux/vid1 input use cable box native menu to navigate as before.
    S-Video = standard definition, you can upscale it to 4096x2160 if you want but you'll still just be blowing up the same standard definition source and it will never be HD. El Gato does make a device that accepts HD component signals, but the set-up you're describing can't do HD.

If your trying to record while away then you have to set to station prior unless its local the you would use coax w/media center scheduler.
    Or you could buy a CableCARD tuner, return the crappy STB, and never look back.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

Xtreme Addict
    Source is component 1080i,also S-video(720x480p) is the lowest hd res but it is still hd.So the image stays high def and I can see no diff from going straight to tv w/hdmi(1080p) vs going through tuner/gpu(upscaled1080i).
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 04-26-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Source is component 1080i,also 480p is lowest hd but it is still hd.So the image stays high def and I can see no diff from going straight to tv w/hdmi(1080p) vs going through tuner/gpu(upscaled1080i).
    The source is 1080i, but the component to S-video adapter downscales it. That video information is lost permanently, upscaling it back again does not restore it. And 480p is not HD, it is textbook standard definition (most DVD's are 480p for example). In fact, there isn't even really a video standard that is lower definition than 720x480, this is about as bad as it gets.
    Last edited by HiJon89; 04-27-2011 at 08:07 AM.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

I am Xtreme
    HiJon, do you have FIOS also? I saw your video, and I'm really really digging that setup! So you are simply using a CableCard tuner in your HTPC?

Xtreme Addict
    HiJon, do you have FIOS also? I saw your video, and I'm really really digging that setup! So you are simply using a CableCard tuner in your HTPC?
    I'm currently on Comcast, but the setup will work with any major cable provider (Cablevision, FiOS, Comcast, Time Warner, etc.) I just have a pair of external ATI CableCARD tuners that connect via USB to my HTPC (you can also get an internal PCI version). They go for ~$110-120 on eBay and you can return your cable company STB. I have two so that I can record two shows at once, but you can buy just one tuner or four if you want. Media Center pulls all the info automatically (guide, TV info, movie info, synopsis, cast, movie covers, etc.). You can use the TV guide to see what's on, movie guide to scroll through movie covers (organized by time, genre, rating, etc.) or you can search for a title, actor, etc. You can also see alternate times when the show or movie is playing again. If it isn't playing soon you can set it to record automatically in the future and the next time it's on Media Center will record it automatically. Also, any Xbox 360 can be used as a media center extender and the Xbox 360 has the exact same full media center interface available. Having used a variety of different cable company boxes and TiVo's I can confidently say it is the best interface by far. The only stumbling block is you need a computer to use as an HTPC, but you seem to have that covered.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

I am Xtreme
    I'm currently on Comcast, but the setup will work with any major cable provider (Cablevision, FiOS, Comcast, Time Warner, etc.) I just have a pair of external ATI CableCARD tuners that connect via USB to my HTPC (you can also get an internal PCI version). They go for ~$110-120 on eBay and you can return your cable company STB. I have two so that I can record two shows at once, but you can buy just one tuner or four if you want. Media Center pulls all the info automatically (guide, TV info, movie info, synopsis, cast, movie covers, etc.). You can use the TV guide to see what's on, movie guide to scroll through movie covers (organized by time, genre, rating, etc.) or you can search for a title, actor, etc. You can also see alternate times when the show or movie is playing again. If it isn't playing soon you can set it to record automatically in the future and the next time it's on Media Center will record it automatically. Also, any Xbox 360 can be used as a media center extender and the Xbox 360 has the exact same full media center interface available. Having used a variety of different cable company boxes and TiVo's I can confidently say it is the best interface by far. The only stumbling block is you need a computer to use as an HTPC, but you seem to have that covered.
    That is amazing, thank you for the clarification!

I am Xtreme
    Great info and now I know who to Question on this subject. Too bad many folks trash out MCE without giving it a real chance. Even with XMBC I still use MCE a lot. Love my $19 remote for it
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!