Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best GPU Utility in 2011?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Best GPU Utility in 2011?

Hey folks. Honestly I haven't bothered using anything like ATI Tray Tools or Riva Tuner in ages, just wondering what the best temp monitor/fan controller/tweak utility for ATI/AMD cards is anymore? I'm using two Asus 6950s about to be flashed to 6970s after this post.

MSI Afterburner

Xtreme Member
    Haven't tried Sapphire's Trixx but only because I'm really happy with MSI Afterburner

Xtreme Member
    MSI Afterburner + RadeonPro if you want to tweak + have per game settings + CF settings.
    Intel i5 3570k || Sapphire HD 7870 OC CrossFireX || Asrock Z77 Extreme4 || 8GB DDR3 G.SKILL || Seasonic X750
    Intel Core2Duo E8400 || PowerColor HD 5450 || Gigabyte P35-DS3L || 4GB DDR2 G.SKILL || Enermax 431W

Xtreme Member
    Radeon Pro definitely for manually tweaking game and application profiles to use Crossfire if you have it. If you do not max out your GPU with the standard control panel, then MSI afterburner or Trixx will do.

Xtreme Mentor
    Afterburner is great but you have to jump through hoops to enable "unofficial overclocking". Then if you have a shader unlocked 6950 you have to jump through even more hoops for voltage control. Sapphire Trixx does both with no hassle and also has an option to disable ULPS.

I still have to use Afterburner for the fan profile since that feature in Trixx doesn't work properly. I also love Afterburner's OSD.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    Afterburner is great but you have to jump through hoops to enable "unofficial overclocking". Then if you have a shader unlocked 6950 you have to jump through even more hoops for voltage control. Sapphire Trixx does both with no hassle and also has an option to disable ULPS.

I still have to use Afterburner for the fan profile since that feature in Trixx doesn't work properly. I also love Afterburner's OSD.
    I know it's a bit OT, but you maybe should try to use a ASUS moded BIOS for you 6950, then use smartdoctor to enable more clocks, then uninstall SmartDoctor, and then you would be able to do everything with afterburner . I do it this way, as I don't like to have different programs to do the same job :P

OT

I would vote afterburner, downside is the unofficial OC thing

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OK so I've tried Sapphire's Trixx, MSI Afterburner, and even tried the "Install Asus SmartDoctor, change, then uninstall" trick and I can't get the voltages to change. SmartDoctor won't even start up for me, just keeps saying "Cannot find graphics card information." I've tried setting it's compatibility mode AND making sure it runs as Administrator, same deal. I was wondering why everything kept ing the bed every time I launched a 3D application. Come to find out the voltage is reading between .9 and 1.1, which is significantly lower than where it should be. None of the programs are keeping the voltage changes permanent. Going crazy here... suggestions?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do you have a ASUS 6950 bios flashed in your card ? If you don't that's way you can't use SmartDoctor.

I am Xtreme
    Doesn't Afterburner sort of reset Power Control (PowerTune) setting to 0%? I've read a few posts mentioning that. If so, then using it is out of question and TriXX is the way to go.
    Or even better, RBE for vGPU BIOS mod and CCC for overclocking (RacerX for extended Overdrive limits).
    Wish there was a hard or soft mod to entirely disable Power Control...

OT: 6970 Lightning's BIOS features 2.5x PowerTune Range and 2000/2000 Overdrive limits. I wish someone got a hold of that BIOS (there is a bunch of of reviews out already) and tried it on reference 6950 / 6970 (I don't think vMEM and vAUX adjustment in AB would work due to different controllers, but limits could stick, it worked with 5870 Lightning's BIOS and ref. 5870 just fine). I have a strong feeling it might work. If not, there's always a BIOS switch. Or we could somehow rip out the PowerTune and Overdrive limits out of that BIOS... Much harder than just flashing to give it a try, though.
    Last edited by zalbard; 04-26-2011 at 02:51 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, full disclosure on my setup:

Asus 6950s flashed with the Asus 6970 OC BIOS. SmartDoctor SHOULD work, both cards are "Voltage Tweak" capable.
    Win 7 x64
    Asus Rampage III Gene motherboard

So what it sounds like is I just need to go back to a shader modded 6950 BIOS and upclock it from there to 6970 specs. Sigh.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    MSI Afterburner +1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Still trying to get some card BIOS flashing issues worked out so I haven't played with the voltage, but Afterburner is working great for controlling the fans. BF: BC2 was causing the cards to overheat with all the settings on full because the fans just weren't kicking in as they needed to. I created a new fan profile, good to go!

*EDIT* - come to find out the cards weren't overheating, it was just BC2's stupid buggy crap that was giving me black screens (but the hud/mini map was still showing). Still, I'm happy with Afterburner. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by WangChung; 05-13-2011 at 11:33 PM.

I use the latest Trixx v4.0.1 for my shader modded Sapphire 6950, and in my opinion it's the best tool as it does everything properly, disabling ULPS, changing voltage, clocks and all that lightweight. I don't look back on Afterburner. And thanks to the guy responsible for RacerX, pretty handy too!!
    If the world is code, then it can be hacked.

DFI X48-T2R / E8400@4.3 (1.4v) / 4GB OCZ Flex II / Sapphire HD6950@940/1400 / BQT DarkPro P7 650W / 3x300GB Velociraptor RAID0 @ PERC5/i / ASUS Xonar Xense @ Denon AH-D2000 <3 / Dell 3008WFP
    MIPS X48 / Koolance CPU340 / EK 6970 / TFC360 / MCP655 / YY-gh3tt0³

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hackintosh Lover
    Between London & Eastbourne, United Kingdom
    Now normally I would suggest Afterburner like everyone else but since I SLi I've having crazy problems and crashes with many numbers of it... so now I use XtremeTuner HD you kind find it here http://www.galaxytech.com/en/downloadview.aspx?id=188 Have a go at it...
    Why Not Try a Hackintosh for A Change?? Steps HERE!!
    Want to installing Mountain/Lion from a DVD or USB on you Apple PC?? Steps Here!

Super Stable aKa 24/7

Winners of EURO 08 | World Cup 10 | EURO 12
    Quote: Killin' Tube Kinks One Coil At A Time
    Hackintosh Lover
    "Dumb people" shouldn't use "Smart Phones"

New Personal Wallpapers Selection

Xtreme Addict
    I have an XFX 6950 that I have flashed using the 6950 to 6970 batch file from guru. I would now like to do some hz and Volts tweeking. What utility should I be using. Last thing I used was ATI Tool a couple years ago but heard its not been updated in a long time.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    MSI Afterburner was working good for me, but I had to uninstall all 3rd party apps to play BC2. Now I'm about to just give up on the game itself and go back to WoW or Eve haha!

Xtreme Mentor
    Just use Sapphire Trixx, there are way too many hoops to jump through with Afterburner.

Xtreme Addict
    TRIXX doesnt seem to have any v control for mem
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Mentor
    Nothing has voltage control for the memory. You would have to hard mod the card.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    Nothing has voltage control for the memory. You would have to hard mod the card.
    You can control vMem of Lightning cards with AB, but that's an exception.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ASUS GPU Tweak Overclocking Utility incoming...

'He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose' - Jim Elliot
    Click on the pic to download a free pdf sample of the bestselling book!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    but when lol
    The Devil's Reject

I just tried Sapphire Trixx, its really simple and works great !!

it works with my EVGA cards but pity it dont show fps / temps ingame like afterburner do
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast