Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple tracks position of iPhone and iPad 3G users

Xtreme X.I.P.

Apple tracks position of iPhone and iPad 3G users

http://youtu.be/GynEFV4hsA0

Not sure how legal this is

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Surprise surprise. i1984 - I bow to my supreme rulers. haha!

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Apple working in tandem with the N.S.A or Interpol is what specifically comes to mind for me when I see things of this nature.
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Member
    one more to add the 110450x Reason no to buy from apple
    Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive.

I am Xtreme
    i didnt click the link

but if the gps is off, how well can they track you anyway?
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i didnt click the link

but if the gps is off, how well can they track you anyway?
    It's fairly easy to tell based on cell tower usage and handoffs. That's already how most of the built-in navigation systems run.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Administrator
    Does this happen on Droid phones also ?

The researcher who discovered this on the iPhone looked at Android based devices but didn't immediately see a similar history file.

As for GPS, the OS could easily blip it on for a moment every so often to get your location if it wanted to. It's not like the GUI has the final say over what is on or off.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Administrator
    I think its the history file that is a concern.

Picture this, you are accused of a crime or some other nasty thing.
    They subpoena your iPhone, look at the data and see that you were actually at a location on a certain date/time. Busted.

Not sure if that is really possible to do.

If law inforcement or some others really wanted to track you I am sure they could find a way that might, or might not include your phones GPS.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
    It's fairly easy to tell based on cell tower usage and handoffs. That's already how most of the built-in navigation systems run.
    i see that all the time when im using google maps with gps off. some times its accurate to a hundred feet, but most time its about 1000ft, and it jumps around alot with every update.

i dont care if they know what city im in or what neighborhood, they cant get my exact location

some apps use it for finding local radio stations, like Last FM.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Member
    Not just the devices with cell radios in them. Wifi information is transmitted back to Apple as well.
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Xtreme Addict
    This quote is so true:

if the government made people wear tracking devices you'd feel repressed. solution, put an apple logo on it and people will line up for days to buy one.
    Truth be told Apple generation is reflected best by Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan for obvious reasons...

Xtreme Member
    Its funny seeing how many Apple fans came to the defense like its nothing on engadget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    been lots of years since I played with an AMD and this is just an hour so bear with me..
    My first thoughts on it is that it's fast, it's smoothe and it's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    Yes, the i7 does have the edge in pure grunt but then again the AMD has that little something I can't quite put my finger on except to use that word 'smoother" and that will get me flamed faster than posting kiddy :banana::banana::banana::banana: on the Christian networks site.
    Main Rig: Phenom II 550 (x4) @3.9Ghz - Gigabyte 6950@6970 - Asus M4A-785D M Pro - Samsung HDs 2x2TB,1x1.5TB,2x1TB - Season X-650 | OpenCL mining rigs: 2x Phenom II 555(x4) - 1xMSI 890FXA-GD70 - 1xGB 990FXA-UD7 (SICK ) - 1xHD6990 - 1x6950@70 - 6x5850 - 2xCooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1kW

Xtreme Addict
    Totally legal to spy on people around you these days :\.
    Called patriot act.

To be honest I just started study on this stuff.
    I'm more interested in the demographics then the methodology at this point.

Anyways we are probably gonna see a whole lot more of this tracking stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Does this happen on Droid phones also ?
    Do you mean the original Motorola Droid or the Droid line of phones from Verizon which is made up of several different models? Droid and Android aren't really interchangeable in this context if you are wanting accurate information.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    good job, Jobs...lolz

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by XSAlliN View Post
    This quote is so true:
    the quote would be true had it said "oppressed". but what do you expect from youtube comments it's funny how often these are mixed up though, like feminazis saying women are repressed. it's oppressed.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Xtreme Addict
    I don't want to play Apple's advocate here, but this is neither something new nor something illegal. This file is even featured in a book. This database is used by apps and there is no sign that these information is send to Apple.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme X.I.P.
    US Congressmen seem curious why this is happening

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2011/04/20/...racking-story/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    "Badges? We don't got to show you no stinking badges!"
    Court order is only required to use the evidence in court. They can spy on you all they want and there is nothing you can do about it.

Xtreme CCIE
    I activated an LG G2x yesterday and noticed that Android asked my consent to keep track of where I am for location services and included an option to send that data to Google. I clicked "No" on the sending data to Google bit, but it was the default choice.

I'm not saying they're much better, but at least Google was up front about being creepy.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Turkey Man
    Yup i have dissabled the use of location information on my Galaxy S, and GPS is always off unless i need to navigate

Xtreme Addict
    You all look at it in a way that you feel victimised

I see it as a protection measure

stop asking for pity

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by billdavis View Post
    You all look at it in a way that you feel victimised

I see it as a protection measure

stop asking for pity
    Protecting who from whom?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast