Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: apple sues samsung for copying their "innovative style"

Xtreme X.I.P.

apple sues samsung for copying their "innovative style"

Xtreme Addict
    Samsung clearly stole look of ios that is obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    Pretty soon people will be suing others because they drew a SQUARE the same way as them.
    Smile

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Pretty soon people will be suing others because they drew a SQUARE the same way as them.
    lol

it's just a gui screen o.o windows 7 stole the macs gui.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    Whatever happened to imitation being the most sincere form of flattery?
    ASUS Rampage III Gene - i7940 - 6GB Corsair Dominators 1600 - HIS HD 5870 - Seasonic x650 - Intel 80GB G2 - SuperTalent 60GB GX2 - Seagate 1.5 TB Green - LanGear DaBox

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Pretty lame.
    What does that apple patent actually entail? A ridiculously simple interface consisting of several squares /rectangles?
    Intellectual property sure is difficult to regulate.

Not to mention there's nothing remotely "technological" about a rectangle + rectangular screen + square icons being generally a sensible shape for thumb using touch screen interface of which apple would not be the first.

If there's any justice in the world and that it isn't a battleground for immature halfwits...I hope this fails...It's like being spawn camped 5 minutes into a CS round

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So who's going to sure apple and everybody else for making portable computers/laptops......

Seriously, apple lost what little respect I had for them. Considering half there design ideas are stolen.
    But as there the patent kings and would patent people sneezing if they could.

I've seen designs for an ipad type device 20 years ago in star trek, they should sue.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme Member
    and this is a clear example that the U.S patent system needs a complete overhaul. the fact that Apple was allowed to file such a frivolous lawsuit is just plain sad

Quote Originally Posted by phantomferrari View Post
    and this is a clear example that the U.S patent system needs a complete overhaul. the fact that Apple was allowed to file such a frivolous lawsuit is just plain sad
    they did win that u cannot have round edged on a wall mounted ac psu, so who knows who will win this but since its apple they files in the bay area im guessing so they basically just get free money since the judges are owned by apple.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme CCIE
    You know, there actually is something to be said for this lawsuit. If there is one thing that Apple does really well is extensive R&D on usage and aesthetics, and - let's all be honest here - their claim about a very similar look and feel is accurate. Samsung (and the rest of the Android crowd) really are riding off the time/money Apple spent developing their system. It seems obvious to use icons the way they are used, but there wasn't really anything like it before the iPhone. Is it really so different from profiting off someone else's R&D in materials or circuit design?

With that said, I will also hope that the lawsuit is unsuccessful. I think it is obvious that there is some borrowing going on, but it's not a full-on carbon copy and allowing lawsuits with increasingly abstract similarities takes one down a rocky path.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Black background and shiny icons. I've had that since Windows 95. I'm suing Apple for stealing that from me.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    You know, there actually is something to be said for this lawsuit. If there is one thing that Apple does really well is extensive R&D on usage and aesthetics, and - let's all be honest here - their claim about a very similar look and feel is accurate. Samsung (and the rest of the Android crowd) really are riding off the time/money Apple spent developing their system. It seems obvious to use icons the way they are used, but there wasn't really anything like it before the iPhone. Is it really so different from profiting off someone else's R&D in materials or circuit design?

With that said, I will also hope that the lawsuit is unsuccessful. I think it is obvious that there is some borrowing going on, but it's not a full-on carbon copy and allowing lawsuits with increasingly abstract similarities takes one down a rocky path.
    So ms sues apple for using icons on a smartphone os.

It's really simple apple hasn't had an original idea. They simply refine and patent somebody else's. Mac os, version of linux. They refined a user friendly mp3 player. They looked at win moblie and symbion and made a user friendly version.

I have yet to see an original product
    From apple. That succeeded.

They simply refined a type of product, do they deserve patent s on there work yes. But trying to patent a whole class of products, when they copied the orginal product is just dirty.

If samsung was using there os, I could see a case. If they were duplicating the hardware I could see it. It's different os on different hardware on a similar style of phone.

Apples got nothing left, android meets and bests it. Hardware is caught up and surpassing it.

They have no legs to stand on to fight the compatition so has to resort to fictitious law suits.

They got early market share which was huge for them and the markets.

But there business model they saved themselves with, with the ipod isn't gona cut it anymore. People are smarter consumers, and business don't like being screwed over so they look for alternates.

MagisD

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post

but its the same UI as windows mobile, just with squares instead of rectangles, and thats the same UI that many desktops had just with phone stuff added to the bottom. it just seams frivolous to me since its the same UI on every other device, and on the device its self what are u supposed to do with a bar style phone thats different than the other phones, are they supposed to just not have the connector on the bottom since it was on the side before (and the bottom on other non smartphones)

Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post
    So ms sues apple for using icons on a smartphone os.

It's really simple apple hasn't had an original idea. They simply refine and patent somebody else's. Mac os, version of linux. They refined a user friendly mp3 player. They looked at win moblie and symbion and made a user friendly version.

They simply refined a type of product, do they deserve patent s on there work yes. But trying to patent a whole class of products, when they copied the orginal product is just dirty.

u mean that they stole the music match AI then settled out for MM to be the only windows store for the ipod and to pay royalties to them, but then they backed out and MM slowly died from a lack of capital until yahoo bought and killed it then sold the IP to real. and for the mp3 device they stole it from creative with the layout and even menu/hierarchy names and payed royalties affter loosing in court but then sued creative for using creatives AI and won.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 04-18-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    but its the same UI as windows mobile, just with squares instead of rectangles, and thats the same UI that many desktops had just with phone stuff added to the bottom.

Keeping in mind that - again - I don't want to see Apple win this...

What idea did they copy for the look and feel of the iPhone? I had blackberries and Windows-based phones before the iPhone came out, and I can honestly say there was 0% similarity between them. They all had list-based/menu-based systems, or in the case of Windows 6.x a bar on the bottom that you scrolled through.

Are icons simple? Yes, obviously so. But oddly no-one else had thought to go to an icon-only model, and it was wildly successful. Windows got the "don't copy Apple" idea and went with something similar but slightly different with their Windows Phone 7... but on the other side Android did pretty much just grab the look and feel.

AGAIN - I have many other reasons I don't want them to win, but I wouldn't actually be disappointed in Samsung if they took an out-of-court settlement and paid for the portion of R&D that Apple did on this one which their products are riding.

Edit: To add additional clarity, I just ordered a new Android phone today and have never owned an iPhone or any other Apple product (I boycott the company)... no fanboyism here.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I agree with you, like I said apple refined a design, htc skins on win moblie. Custom versions of symbian. The gui/icon style was there before apple.

apple design idea wasn't new, they idiot proofed and patented it.

suing somebody else for ideas you stole in the first place is just dirty, I used to have respect for them bringing it to the next level and pushing. They had great design but what there doing now is wrong.

They have nothing to shine with, ipad 2 is minor upgrade, the smart cover is a direct rip off if another company. Iphone 4 wa s a decent upgrade but 5 looks to be nothing
    But a camera upgrade.

There dead in the water atm, and there restrictive business practices make everybody look for alternates.

If android hadn't come along they would of been fine, the other os's were email or geek centric. But as it is android's outpacing them and software dev's are coveting there bases with both. Which means that theres less and less reason to pick an I device. The user experince is just as good without the apple rules shoved down your throat.

their only option is to fight dirty instead of standing by there product and going toe to toe.

And I have owned, almost everything except a blackberry and I used to sell those. I still dont own a tablet they haven't reached the point of maturity I want yet. But I've been pushing ultra moblie/ tablets since the origami/umpc/ samsung q1 days. And have, a real computer tablet.

MagisD

Aussie God
    Well, Apple is just making sure to find the money after stock dropped?
    I think Steve should look into the market of stealing from disabled kids too.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Addict
    apple will sue me when im shi**ting . because they did that first.

seriously, it is pretty lame. new lowest level of behavior.
    Vishera 8320@ 5ghz | Gigabyte UD3 | 8gb TridentX 2400 c10| Powercolor 6850 | Thermalight Silver Arrow (bench Super KAZE 3k) | Samsung 830 128gbx2 Raid 0| Fractal case

Xtreme Member
    Didn't apple steal the same design from LG Prada phone?!! Oh, the Irony...
    Case: HAF-X
    CPU: AMD phenom II X6 1090T@4GHz
    Motherboard: Asus CHIV formula
    GPU: 2x 6870
    RAM: Patriot Sector 5 2x4GB
    HDD: Crucial M4 256GB

Can you? On AIR
    Better? -- On AIR

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    Womans and old men who dont know computers in court when verdict will be announced make apple win.

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    Yea, suings for some color and similar shape.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I wont be surprised when people sue for having the same name as them.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltZ View Post
    Pretty lame.
    What does that apple patent actually entail? A ridiculously simple interface consisting of several squares /rectangles?
    Intellectual property sure is difficult to regulate.

Not to mention there's nothing remotely "technological" about a rectangle + rectangular screen + square icons being generally a sensible shape for thumb using touch screen interface of which apple would not be the first.

If there's any justice in the world and that it isn't a battleground for immature halfwits...I hope this fails...It's like being spawn camped 5 minutes into a CS round
    +1, couldnt agree more!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    apple need to grow up and actually mak an original device with easily patentable things so stuff like this doesn't happen. I also like how apple "takes inspirtation" from other already produced works, refines a little, patents, then sues someone else for doing the same thing....

Xtreme Member
    Looks like Android sales are hurting, time to sue... bleh.

"We are going to hell, so bring your sunblock..."

Xtreme Cruncher
    You can see some similarities in the style of the casing on both of the phones but that's about it...

***BREAKING NEWS****
    Apple Sue's other phone companies for using screens

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast