Thread: Highest FPI Quad 120mm rad for 5k fans options ?

sleepin is overrated

Talking Highest FPI Quad 120mm rad for 5k fans options ?

Hi all

I,m looking the best rad for my 120mm deltas, I want the highest fpi rad i can get hold of and it has to be a quad

Most rads on the market are all sub 9 fpi and made for low power fans.

what options do i have

cheers
    Last edited by -Acid-; 04-19-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm pretty sure Koolance has a 30fpi one. and I'm sure HWLabs has a high fpi one. check out their websites.
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

sleepin is overrated
    Checked both sites and the HWlabs Sr-1 is only a 9fpi rad 5cm thick. THey also have the Black Ice Gtx but they say the sr-1 is a better rad even tho it has 20fpi which is weird. Does the GTx need higher speed fans to work better ?

Koolance HX-CU1320V looks better on paper as it is 30 fpi but its only 3cm thick.

the hunt continues !!!
    Last edited by -Acid-; 04-18-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Xtreme 3D Team
    More FPI doesnt mean everything.

Just look at reviews and look at what rads scale best up to 3000 RPM (a lot of reviews like skinnee's will show up to 3000) and chances are scaling/efficiency will continue that way the higher you go.
    Smile

sleepin is overrated
    Ive been looking at skinnee,s testing, at 3k there is quite a lot of rads tho that havent been tested hence why i posted up.

When your using very high cfm fans 240 + high fpi is a must, more surface area to cool.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    they say it's better because 95% of watercoolers are for quiet.

the GTX with higher speed fans kicks ass. it's been said that with two 1000-2000 rpm fans on push and pull it truly is awesome.

is the koolance 30 fpi?

I got an idea, ask about certain models, and ppl who have tried it, tested it can tell you their experience .

but frm what i've read recently the gtx might do you good.
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Xtreme Guru
    Different people wish/need different things. Some might want top performance with powerful and noisy fans (GTX), some (imho most) wishes top performance with quiet fans (SR1). As with powerful fans even less optimised rads cool more then adequate, i'd prefer having extra 1/3rd of cooling capacity with silent fans instead of extra 1/3rd with powerful ones.
    BTW, HWLabs' GTS is almost same as Koolance's HX-CU1320V (also 30mm thick/30FPI).

Xtreme Guru
    generally thicker fpi u run higher rpm fans, but that sometimes isnt the case as several tests have been proven otherwise! I'd say a SR1 560 as or the 560 Gtx from hwlabs..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    For high speed fans (1500 rpm and up) HW Labs GTX are the king and should be your pick without a doubt.
    At 5000 rpm, it's way better than the SR1 which is made for low speed fans
    /Thomas

Thermochill or koolance?

methinks the hwlabs GTX series reigns though for 5krpm fans
    Intel Xeon E5620
    Asus Rampage II Gene [Evga X58 FTW3]
    Mushkin DDR3 1600mhz 3x2GB 998691
    Asus GTX470
    Silverstone Strider 600w PSU
    2x Samsung F3 500GB RAID0
    1x Samsung F3 1TB Backups

Xtreme Addict
    Koolance (30fpi) or Hardwarelabs GTX (20fpi)

I've got the koolance Rads and the 360 version is ~40w less cooling power than the GTX.

GTX is 2x the thickness of the Koolance so hence I've got 2x Koolance rads in a sandwich with shrouds with Kaze 3000's.

Only tests people have on the internet are for the 360 versions and max with Kaze 3000's. No tests that I've seen with Scythe GT 3000+ or even deltas @ 5000

Skinnee's tests...

2c Delta results...

~Bex
    Last edited by RCG_Bex; 04-19-2011 at 01:14 AM.
    PROJECT :: The Xtreme (WET) Dream!!!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    E6750 @ 4GHz QX9650 @ 4.6GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :
    Sempron140 @ 4Ghz (Stock Cooler)
    i7 3960x @ 5.4ghz (Air Cooler)

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
    Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
    Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Xtreme Guru
    koolance has a thicker Fan per inch which means nothing but with the same RPM fans the GTX beats it loud and clear.. i'd say go with GTX!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    koolance has a thicker Fan per inch which means nothing but with the same RPM fans the GTX beats it loud and clear.. i'd say go with GTX!
    FPI tells a lot about a rads performance in certain RPM areas, but HW Labs uses a dual-core with the GTS/GTX series which makes it hard to compare them to normal "single-core" rads as the SR1, PA, MCR etc.
    As others has prior stated the Koolance rads are thinner than the GTX and therefore can have a higher FPI than the GTX and still have the same air resistance.

The dual-core design has proven to be the most efficient at higher RPM and the GTX to be more efficient than the Koolance and therefore is the best Quad rad choice.

Thomas out!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas FJ View Post
    FPI tells a lot about a rads performance in certain RPM areas, but HW Labs uses a dual-core with the GTS/GTX series which makes it hard to compare them to normal "single-core" rads as the SR1, PA, MCR etc.
    As others has prior stated the Koolance rads are thinner than the GTX and therefore can have a higher FPI than the GTX and still have the same air resistance.

The dual-core design has proven to be the most efficient at higher RPM and the GTX to be more efficient than the Koolance and therefore is the best Quad rad choice.

Thomas out!
    Yep

Xtreme Member
    Might look into getting a used he120.3, they were optimized for fans having at least 100cfm each.

Xtreme Addict
    oh, and the GTX can double as an air filter for your home... maybe not HEPA certified but i'm sure it'll filter a lot of crap in the air... j/k
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

I am Xtreme
    I would also recommend GTX over Koolance. Should perform a bit better (it's thicker, that's one of the reasons).
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

sleepin is overrated
    The GTX does look to be the rad for the job, just wondered if anyone had tryed the phoyba range of rads, Details on them tho are hard to come by. Ive only found one review.

edit

Anyone tryed a 560 gtx with 140mm to 120mm adaptors ?

Its pretty huge tho
    Last edited by -Acid-; 04-19-2011 at 11:29 PM.

used fan control, it noisy
    Nguyen Linh Bao
    Yahoo: ocer_coc
    Mail: nguyenlinhbao@gmail.com
    Iam from Vietnamese ( Ha Long Bay, Phong Nha Grotto...)

Xtreme Guru
    "Highest FPI Quad 120mm rad for 5k fans options"?
    Hmm, 5K rpm fan sounds like very well fit for rad sandwiches. I doubt you finding LC rads with higher then 20-30FPI for extreme ones, but sandwiching rads did exactly same thing as higher FPI. You got extra airflow resistance, that hurt overall cooling with slow and quiet fans, but got extra cooling from extra heat exchange area once used fans were more and more faster/more powerful. There is no sense in rad sandwiches for 1K rpm fans. But with 5K rpm ones? Hell yes!