Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [build log] Water & Wood

I am Xtreme
    mia, poke through the collection that Lian Li has, they should have one you can use.

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product...0&ss_index=131
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

I am Xtreme
    Nice creative work Mia!

Sandoval

sound card

did you try removing the emi shield on the xfi and see if that will fit underneath the sli connector?

i7 980x | corsair dominator 6x4 Gb | TJ07
    SLI GTX 580x2 | GT430 | rampage 3 | corsair AX1200
    LSI 9265 | OCZ vertex 128x4 raid0 | corsair c300 | hitachi 3tbx3 |
    blocks: cpu hk 3.0 | gpu aquacomputer 580x2 | mb ek re3 fc | ram bitspower galaxy
    pump: laing d5 x2 | res: koolance 452x2
    rad: TC 120.3 120.2 | scythe GTx5
    NASs: qnap 879 8x3tb | thecus N5200 2tbx5

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    mia, poke through the collection that Lian Li has, they should have one you can use.

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product...0&ss_index=131
    Thanks, those look good....is there anywhere to buy them besides frozen-cpu? The prices are crazy

Quote Originally Posted by jikdoc View Post
    did you try removing the emi shield on the xfi and see if that will fit underneath the sli connector?
    No need, I can clearly see the PCB is too tall
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    P-PC's has many of the same cables for a few bucks cheaper but. . .they still seem a tad over priced for what they are.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Thanks WL
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

FYI - rig will probably be delayed a bit while I wait for my blocks to get replaced. I just submitted my RMA request with EK to get them all swapped with copper/acetal versions. They won't look as nice, but I don't want to deal with nickle plating failure down the road.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what, you don't want nickel dust tearing extra holes in your cpu block? it'd probably make it less restrictive.

this'll give you time to source some speaker grille cloth if you haven't already. I'd think one of the DIY hi-fi stores in Japan would have a roll or two of varying types.

oh, and on the USB front thing, you can always use an adapter like this if you really like one of the ones that terminate in a male plug. or, if you'd prefer to attach a funkton of em
    Last edited by defect9; 06-07-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Member
    Killler System, and great craftsmanship!

Quote Originally Posted by defect9 View Post
    what, you don't want nickel dust tearing extra holes in your cpu block? it'd probably make it less restrictive.

this'll give you time to source some speaker grille cloth if you haven't already. I'd think one of the DIY hi-fi stores in Japan would have a roll or two of varying types.

oh, and on the USB front thing, you can always use an adapter like this if you really like one of the ones that terminate in a male plug. or, if you'd prefer to attach a funkton of em
    Coldzero Team has offered to send me dust filters

Also, I've decided to get a USB 3.0 hub/card reader that'll sit on top of my desk until I find a front mounted one that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by martensch View Post
    Killler System, and great craftsmanship!
    Thanks

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Guru
    Those backplates look like made for gtx480, will they fit on your 580?

Yes, they make a version for the 580

I'm planning to work on the front door tomorrow. I'm planning to attach it with stealth hinges and it'll have a plexi window to provide a clear view of the internals. At first I was planning to do a boring rectangular shaped window, but something with more character would probably work better since I can't seem to cut a straight line to save my life....so I'm hoping you guys will have some suggestions for the shape of the window.

I have a small skillsaw and a jigsaw....but I don't have a proper workbench or straight-edge to ensure straight cuts, thats the problem. But, with the jigsaw I think I could do a nice window shape....nothing too complex, but more than a simple rectangle LMK if you have any suggestions
    Last edited by miahallen; 06-08-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Heat Team IRONMODS

What do you guys think of this:

it says "Water & Wood"

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Guru
    Double check that. No need for "baka-gaijin" t-shirts alike

Thanks churchy

its decided then, this will be etched into the plexi and edge-lit

Heat Team IRONMODS

Alright, I've got a faily decent update today...I've made a lot of progress on the door.

I actually had a look at things back at the beginning when the desk was disassembled.

There were already holes in the side pieces which were intended for use as peg holders for the adjustable shelving, and they were perfectly spaced for the hinge brackets.

However, they were too close to the edge, and the door would have been sitting out about 10cm away from the desk front. So I drilled some new holes a little further back.

The brackets were mounted with plastic anchors.

And the hinge clips right on.

But, the hard part about the hinges is the need to inset them into the door. I started out by marking the locations.

Then drilled some of the area out a bit.

Then completed the process manually with a straight chisel.

This keeps the hinge fully hidden when the door is closed.

In retrospect, I should have done the front door modifications before the hinges, but its too late for that now. I've decided to do a hexagon shaped (not equilateral) window with the Japanese characters for "water & wood" etched into the plexi window and edge lit.

I knew measuring and getting everything lined up properly would be a challenge, so I went slow and took all my measurements three or four times.

Then I placed and taped down my character templates.

And proceeded to cut them out with an exacto knife.

Next I busted out my Dremel for some etching action.....I'm working on a time lapse video showing the process...I'll try to get it posted soon

Next I rounded off the hexagonal edges....

....and proceeded to etch the boarder the same way I did the characters.

Then I mimic'd the shape of the window boarder with slightly larger dimensions onto the door.

And as with the window, I used a CD-ROM to mark the rounded corners of the shape. The CD came in extra handy for marking the center of the radius so I could drill out the corners with my hole cutter.

last thing for today's update, I had split a small bit of wood when I was carving out the space for the hinges.

I threw some glue in the gap and tied it up to dry.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Nice work. If you need thos usb extenders i can look if i have some. Let me know if you still need them.

Thanks skeyo, you have USB3.0?

Here is the window etching time lapse I mentioned....sorry my big fat head keeps getting in the way

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    Very very cool mia. Love the build so far.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Thanks CFP

TOC added to the OP
    Last edited by miahallen; 06-13-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Sry man I only have usb 2.0 and some external sata let me know if u need them.

amazing.. very cool.. contratulations...
    CPU: Q6600 MOBO: Maximus Formula RAM: 4gb VGA: 4850 HDD: C300 64gb TELA: 22" CASE: CM 690II Advanced | PSU: 750z-af
    Steam | Xfire | BFBC2
    www.hallaor.com

It occurs to me that you could probably make a valve that equalizes flow between the 3 gpu an the cpu. There would be some added pressure loss but could likely be all mechanical. The high pressure side would force the valve to increase restriction until the system equalized. Tap the outlet side of flow from the cpu and gpu's the pressure difference between them would be used to adjust flow into the inlet sides. I don't know if the loss would be worth it though.

Thanks for the idea Autochon, but I'm perfectly happy with the current performance, I don't think a valve is necessary

Good news! My 30" monitor arrived, as well as my Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultas

On a sadder note, one of the GTX 580s is dead, it went out for RMA yesterday.

Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    Mia,
    Excellent work all around. I really like the Japanese script!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast