Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [build log] Water & Wood

World Champion - IRONMODS

[build log] Water & Wood

Water & Wood

This is a desk build...in other words, it will be built into my desk. The desk is made from pine, which is why I'm calling this Water & Wood.

Direct links to updates:
    1. motherboard tray slider installation
    2. GPU waterblocks and the fan wall
    3. first reassembly
    4. fill port and leak testing
    5. final loop flush
    6. PWM controller wired, and blocks cleaned & mounted
    7. first fulll assembly with water cooling
    8. initial temp testing, air VS water
    9. 1st dust filter built, and pump mounted
    10. work started on the front panel, and PSU sleeving complete
    11. work started on the front door and window
    12. work on the front door continues...until disaster strikes...also new air filter installed
    13. new GPU backplates installed ...then tragedy strikes the 2nd front door
    14. Impressive the difference proper tools can make
    15. Water & Wood is nominated for bit-tech's MOTM...VOTE FOR ME!

Direct links to videos:
    1. water cooling components 1st flush
    2. custom PWM fan wall in operation
    3. loop flow demo
    4. 1700W from a 1050W PSU!!!
    5. window etching time lapse video
    6. Playing a little DCS A-10C with headtracking

Parts list

Water cooling parts

I've got quite a few unique ideas for this build, but it's going to be slow going for another month or so. I'm still working out a full parts list, but many are asking about the build, so I wanted to give you something to look at while you wait

Swiftech and Coldzero Team will be sponsoring this build, thanks a ton!

Read my Maximus IV Extreme review here: part 1, part 2

I plugged the loop into Martin's Pump & Rad Optimizer to see what it said...of course there are a couple caveats
    • My rads are 420s, not 320s
    • My blocks are the new (more restrictive) design for the 580
    • My CPU is planned to be run in parallel with the GPUs

idle (200W -- 1000RPM -- pump @ 50%)

max load (1000W -- 2600RPM -- pump @ 100%)
    Last edited by miahallen; 09-20-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

reserved 1
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

reserved 2

Heat Team IRONMODS

I cant wait to see how the outcome will look like , have you decided how you will integrate the computer into the desk?
    Don't ever think you have the best rig, there's always better.

Yes, but I'm going to reveal the plan as the worklog progresses. But I'll give you a hint, all the desk builds I've seen so far have a focus on bling, mine will be less so...my inspiration is coming from the frustrations of working within the confines of a case.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Guru
    miahallen: some of ideas that popped into my head - to use slotload (or normal drive but with glued on similar to table surface faceplate) dvd drive mounted perpendicular to table surface, so that it opens/loads from it. +seeing few cases that makes easier to connect/swap some temporary external hard disks on top of them - why not make something similar on this "table-case"?

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    miahallen: some of ideas that popped into my head - to use slotload (or normal drive but with glued on similar to table surface faceplate) dvd drive mounted perpendicular to table surface, so that it opens/loads from it. +seeing few cases that makes easier to connect/swap some temporary external hard disks on top of them - why not make something similar on this "table-case"?
    I like the suggestions churchy, thanks My only concern with the vertical drive is dust, there is a lot in my environment....any thoughts?

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Guru
    If dust issue, then probably slotload drive can be striked out, so it leaves only 2nd case of common drive mounted vertically. When disk is loaded, frontplate levels with table surface and should close access to dust?
    Hmm, thinking of what else can fit well on "table". - One or two usb ports in it's surface to stick in flash usb sticks if needed? Maybe even more, if other usb devices on table are planned? Integrated normal electrical socket or two, if you wish to use some 220V tools tools on this table, or attach desk light lamp, cellphone charger and alikes. Integrated very dim light slightly from above, to light up keyboard and mouse when working at night. I thought also about mounting in table surface monitor graphic ports, but then again for wires to not look messy they need to be custom/very short, so probably some tunnels/tubes with removable top for easy cable access integrated in table should fit better to route/hide/manage video and power cables. You can also think of integrating KVM switch into table, for easy connecting of laptop to table's video/keyboard/mouse/LAN/audio speakers. And you can cut into surface some card reader and also something like Aquaero5 or other alike blingy fan/pump controller .
    Oh. and integrated into table frame/mount system for at least three BIG lcd screens
    EDIT
    Hmm, and i'd probably would place motherboard in desktop position somewhere where "top drawer" is usually placed. And access PC by opening part of table surface on hinges. - Imho it would be easier to access and work with components that are placed in almost table surface level by simple sitting near, instead of kneeling besides table to access from side.
    EDIT2
    And imho better to put all HW on "side drawers" apartment, not below whole table surface, as later can unecessary thicken table, making it less ergonomical. - IIRC it was good to have keyboard not much above legs below table, so if table is "thick" you have to sit low and reach to keyboard and mouse high, imho tiresome a bit.
    You can also think of adding few handy drawers to place things used infrequently from time to time, for example - installation CDs, Joystick, headphones for night use.
    Last edited by Church; 04-17-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks for the thoughts chruchy...I guess I should point out that the desk is pre-existing, I'll just be modifying it

Also, I've already worked out the placement of the HW, but I'm liking your suggestions for the other stuff

Heat Team IRONMODS

Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    I like the suggestions churchy, thanks My only concern with the vertical drive is dust, there is a lot in my environment....any thoughts?
    You'll need to create a filtered air box at the outside wall of your desk. There are many ways to accomplish this and the amount of interior space you have will determine the method you use.
    If you have plenty of space, cut a 16x25 inch hole in the outside for a filter (I use a filtrete 1250).
    On the inside, build a 4 inch thick box around the hole with some sort of inset that the filter can rest against.
    Your rads will mount on the other side.
    Here's a quick knock up in paint...

Desk 1.jpgDesk 2.jpgFiltretePurple[1].jpg

With this setup you'll have positive pressure in your case so there's no worry of dust entering your optical drive.
    I suggest a louvered vent of some sort for the exhaust to direct airflow.
    Last edited by dengyong; 04-18-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Chasing After Diety
    build a ghetto dust box like i did.

there is no solution period, minus getting rid of the dust b4 it comes near your system.

Once dust is near your system, the charge on your components turn your computer into an ionic breeze, and they like to clump in high voltage areas.

So the only solution is to catch the dust b4 it has a chance to get to your system.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Guru
    subb'd mia! also check your inbox!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

parts list finalized

Heat Team IRONMODS

So, I'm waiting for the watercooling gear to arrive, but I've got a question for all of you...I'm thinking of using some new Koolance U-pipes, there are three versions at PPCs:
    CNT-RP402X2
    CNT-RP402X21
    CNT-RP452X2
    I'm going to have three MCR420-QP rads all mounted side by side, and I can vary the spacing as I please....

....at a bare minimum, the center of the inlet on one will be 35mm from the center of the inlet on the next (if the rads are mounted nearly touching one another). The problem is, I do not know the distance between the center of the ends of these U-Pipes. I think ideally, I'd like to have 40mm of spacing.

If anyone owns these U-pipes, or the matching Koolance resevoirs, can you please measure these points, and let me know the spacing? Thanks

Heat Team IRONMODS

That was quick...

Quote Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx View Post
    Ask and you shall receive my friend...
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...0&postcount=19
    Thanks Sebas

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Guru
    hey mia contact tim from koolance or martin.. they've used them..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Got it, thanks Johnny

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Less talk more modding or building would be nice

It promises but ..updates when?

When the parts arrive....there are a few downsides to living in Japan

Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    Mia,
    Glad to know you made it through the Quakes and I will be following closely.
    Rocky

Have you decided on the layout... any drawings ?

Quote Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
    Mia,
    Glad to know you made it through the Quakes and I will be following closely.
    Rocky
    Thanks Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Have you decided on the layout... any drawings ?
    Its all in my head....

Also, I'm moving accross town this week, so (assuming parts arrive) I'm planning to get started a week from tomorrow.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member

What parts do you need? I send watercooling parts in exchange for your motherboard got a deal?

Do a few drawings even if in paint to see what you intend to do.. i will be folowing this mate

Hows it going... any new developments ?

RL hit hard the last few weeks...the good? -- I moved into a new place on the opposite side of town, which has been a ton of work, but its twice as big, and we're really happy to be out of the 750sq/ft apartment we've lived in the last two years, the new place is more than twice the size.

the bad -- a good friend of mine passed away last week. We drove down to Tokyo to visit her in the hospital the day prior, and I was able to see & encourage her husband while she breathed her last.

Anyhow, all the parts have arrived, and I got work under way tonight. Here are a few pictures of the progress:

Here is the old desk I'll be modifying....it's not much to look at, but it'll work:

I'm using the Mountain Mods XL-ATX (10-slot) motherboard tray in black wrinkle:

The plan is to attach the motherboard tray to the inside of the left wall of the PC opening on the left. One of the parts I was not sure about was how I would attach the sliders to the motherboard tray.

After mucking around a bit, I decided to use a couple pieces of wood, and attach them to the tray with some M3 bolts through these freshly drilled holes:

While getting the first slider attached, I had to attach the wood to the tray further back from the slider mounting hole, due to the CPU backplate opening. This was not an issue, until I tried to slide out the slider, and realized I'd have to come up with a plan to recess this nut, as it was impeding the slider's movement.

After a bit more fussing, I got everything lined up, and the sliders working happily.

Next, I disassembled the desk, and removed the wall where the motherboard will be mounted, to get the sliders attached.

Getting them lined up and screwed in was not too difficult, but I measured about 4 times to ensure the first holes I drilled would be correct.

I'm planning to run the rig a bit on air, just to make sure all the components are happy together before I install the water cooling, so I finished off the night with some basic assembly.

When shopping for sliders, I wanted to ensure I got some heavy duty units...IIRC these are rated to hold a 300lb drawer...

That's it for tonight...I'll be hitting this hard again tomorrow, so I should have another big update soon

Heat Team IRONMODS

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast