Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silverstone CW02 mods + best filter medium + DIY filtration box

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    As for few other filtering material airflow resistance, probably already mentioned thread from stickies may help (BTW, am i the only one that don't see images in it anymore?).
    You mean this one?
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=209801

Yeah i didn't find it to be terribly insightful, no offense to the OP.
    The methodology employed wasn't as methodical as martin's fan testing etc.
    I'm hoping there's better comparisons around...

I'm amazed skinnee labs hasn't done anything yet!? I'll check now.
    I just want to know the medium that catches the finest particles.
    It will also have amongst the highest resistance, if not "the highest".

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
    Because air filters will delay dust accumulation on your rads, fans and inside the case but they will certainly not prevent it.
    Even lab grade filters mediums won't stop all particulates, given enough time.

So basically with filters you will have to clean up less often, maybe once instead of twice a year without filters. However you'll get less performance from your radiators or you'll need to rev up your fans to compensate for the loss of airflow every day of the year.
    As explained, my rad's external & I won't be bothering with any kind of filtration, at least for now.

2. How easy can you remove them?
    The custom built solution I have in mind should make it very easy to remove/add the medium

3. That being said, i still love open cell foam, the kind u find on AC filters.
    They catch small and big dust, and the ones which have them are fully removable and easily upgradable.
    AC filters are on my short-list of mediums, link to example you're referring to?

So what would i do??
    U know those magnetic mesh filters which are popular now?
    I was going to go out to a hardware store, get some AC filter... and then cut that up, then put the magnetic mesh type filter OVER the open cell foam.
    I think that would be the best solution which i see as a filter.
    If you're suggesting putting it up against the main intakes, you'd get massive flow restriction, mesh filters alone are bad enough.
    If you're going to use a highly restrictive medium, you need to increase surface area much more.
    Having said that, I may still try those demciflex filters for use on my rad.
    I will test how much impact it has on my 4x AP-15 in P+P w/shrouds etc.
    Last edited by jalyst; 05-05-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    If you're suggesting putting it up against the main intakes, you'd get massive flow restriction, mesh filters alone are bad enough.
    If you're going to use a highly restrictive medium, you need to increase surface area much more.
    Lol, knowing NaeKuh, I seriously doubt his 'fans' will notice anything from those filters. They're monsters I tell you !

Anyway, I don't have my pc on the ground, which already saves me a lot of dust accumulation, and the fans are sucking in air from above, which also help prevent dust being sucked in. Even after half a year, there's only a little dust in my rad. So no need for a filter here .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Lol, knowing NaeKuh, I seriously doubt his 'fans' will notice anything from those filters. They're monsters I tell you !
    WHAT i cant hear you..

im still facinated at the whines of my fans in unison that it reminds me of Beethoven's 5th Symphony while i turn my system on..

Whinee whinee VAROOOOOM~ Varoom varoom whine~

Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    @jalyst: first of all about positive pressure:

Yes it does, that's that's the whole point of +ve pressure.
    Higher air presser needs somewhere to escape, it escapes to where there's areas of lower air pressure.
    Which is external to the case, "so long" as the air flow out of the case, isn't greater than the air flow in.
    This constant need to escape prevents any airflow "into" the case*, bringing particulates with it etc.

*except for the intakes of course, derr...
    90%+ of the dust that gets inside a case comes from the fans. Positive pressure will bring in less dust than negative pressure and a little less than neutral pressure. But saying that positive pressure prevents dust from coming inside a case is plain wrong.

You are trying to build a filter box, which is pretty common and is usually made with large fans. What I don't understand is why you'd want that filter box under your computer? This is very inefficient. These filter boxes are usually positioned near the air inlet in the room, where it is the most effective.

The problem with these is that they are ugly and you usually only see them in a work environment: you wouldn't want to have a large filter box in your bedroom or living room. And if you're trying to make it the dasa's way, it will become even uglier as it gets clogged up by dust. That's why the filter is usually located inside a box.

I misread your first post and thought this was about air filters for cases. Of course the discussion about filters for computer cases is irrelevant here, since the air is filtered before it gets to the computer. It doesn't matter if the airflow inside the filter box is low or high as long as it filters the air in the room. And since a filter box is about catching as much dust as possible, you want to create a negative pressure inside the box. I'd also recommend using foam type filters as they are very effective and catch different size particles very well. And you'll also need large fans if you care about noise.
    Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; 03-26-2011 at 05:46 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    90%+ of the dust that gets inside a case comes from the fans.
    Of course, the intake fans to be specific.

But saying that positive pressure prevents dust from coming inside a case is plain wrong.
    Sorry but I'd still have to respectfully disagree there, the laws of physics must prevail
    But you're entitled to your opinion, I'm not interested in debating this point further, too OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
    I misread your first post...
    You probably didn't with your 1st posts, but it looks like you have this time.
    Since your 2nd last post I've substantially amended my OP, so that my goals are more clearly defined.
    This thread is (in part) about a filtration box for my HTPC case.

I'm also looking at getting a HEPA room filter.
    But that's for separate reasons, & not something I'll get anytime soon.
    Try re-reading & adding your thoughts, if you have time.

Thank-you.
    Last edited by jalyst; 03-26-2011 at 06:34 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Of course, the intake fans to be specific.

Sorry but I'd still have to respectfully disagree there, the laws of physics must prevail
    But you're entitled to your opinion, I'm not interested in debating this point further, too OT.

You probably didn't with your 1st posts, but it looks like you have this time.
    Since your 2nd last post I've substantially amended my OP, so that my goals are more clearly defined.
    This thread is (in part) about a filtration box for my HTPC case.

I'm also looking at getting a HEPA room filter.
    But that's for separate reasons, & not something I'll get anytime soon.
    Try re-reading & adding your thoughts, if you have time.

Thank-you.
    The law of physics prevail indeed! We may be saying the same thing here. Dust will come in from your fans whether you use positive pressure or not. Of course it won't get in from other openings in the case.

For the rest, you have lost me. I need to re-read your OP when I have some time

I know you guys aren't fans of mesh filters but I've had some good xp with this Lian Li 120mm Filter Mount.

This coupled with Serpentarious' comment about silicon lub should work wonders... and if that isn't enough you could always stick on some DustX on top of this mount which would be easy to replace and collect the finer dust that the mesh filter doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    i found out that, any mesh filter with a dash of the silicon lubricant spray is good for trapping dust.

maybe you guys should give it a try. don't use oil however, it's messy
    It sounds like my setup is similar to NaeKuh (as far as loudness goes) - I'm using 120mm a Delta 210 CFM fan. Apparently the fan calls for 30 watts and it let some smoke out of my R2G when I hooked it up to the mobo PWM connector. The board still ran and OC'ed to 4.2Ghz but the VTT was no longer stable (fluctuated +/- .05v). I ended up buying an Akasa PWM Splitter so I could pull power from the PSU and still use the PWM on my new R3G. Sourcing the power direct from the psu made my vcore and vtt more stable than with my previous fans
    Last edited by R37ribution; 03-28-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo

Xtreme Mentor
    Im happy with my tripple rad mounted in the front of an Stacker STC-01. I just vacume the stock filters in front, i do not even remove them from the case. Works fine
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme Enthusiast

where to take case to have modz done? + possble BFS filtration box

This is the case in question... & I'm in Brisbane/Australia.
    I don't have any of the hardware to do it myself, basically I want:

-1x 120mm fan vent cut into case's lid...
    -2x intakes on the case's bottom increased to 120mm (from 92mm)
    -1x mount/frame for my rad+fans that's bolted to the lid
    -MAYBE 2x extra backplate slots (horizontal?) for Essence ST daughter-board & mPCIe WiFi-N card
    -And maybe this filterbox made, based on some sketches I have.

Although for the last item I think I'd like to "have a crack" myself 1st.
    As I think it could be tricky/pricey for someone to do for me!?
    I'll try once I've knocked-over a bunch of others things, & once i have the tools/material.

Perhaps there's communities like this where people have already designed something?
    Although admittedly I'd prefer my own take on it, so that it looks like a part of the case.

Can anyone recommend some excellent/free CAD software w/a very low learning curve?
    I don't need an uber sophisticated/$ suite, as it's a relatively simple project.
    I'd prefer it to be available for OSX, but if there's nothing decent then Win7's fine.

Finally can anyone recommend some other excellent forums where I can post this?
    Aussie-based would be best, but I'll take OS suggestions too! I've posted at WP/OCAU.

Thanks borg!
    Last edited by jalyst; 05-08-2011 at 08:48 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Buy dremel & C-profile rubber edging to slap on cuts. Probably will cost 1/5th-half of what some modding shop will charge +you keep tools for future mods. Cuts with dremel really are not that hard.
    Hmm, but one probably will need to drill new holes for fan screws on new larger holes too? Well, you probably can skip buying drill, as it being common, you probably can easily borrow it from some friend.
    If there is some very noticeable error while making cuts, buy some spraycan of paint to hide it

Xtreme Addict
    Buy a couple of holesaws for the fan holes. that way you get a perfect professional looking hole which only takes 20secs to drill.

Xtreme Addict
    Mod shops for computer cases don't exists unless you want to ship your case for someone to do it for you.
    Desktop:
    Antec 300
    Foxcon A7AD-S 790GX
    8GB Gskill PC-1066@5/5/5/12
    PII X940 BE @3.6GHZ
    Sunbeam Core Contact
    2x 640GB in Raid 0+1
    4870 512MB@800/1000
    Vista Business 64bit W/ SP1

Xtreme Guru
    jalyst: (3) don't know about very low learning curve, but google's sketchup is free (compare that to megaprices of commercial CAD software suites), and you can easily find lots of tutorial videos, that might ease learning.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    If you take apart the chassis (which needs a drill to pop the rivets), any metal shop should be happy to professionally cut holes in steel or aluminum. You'd have to mark-up what and were, though.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wonder of there's a local CNC-milling/laser-cutting service that'd fabricate these
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...01d6537032652c
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...ea6f6a33c6c2b5
    There's probably already ready-made brackets like these that I can buy!
    I will investigate more closely tomorrow...

Also I'm wondering once I've built the wooden frames/box...
    What sort of mechanism I'm gong to use, to easily remove the filter material used on the rear & sides.

I'm thinking some sort of frame, that easily pops out of each of the sides.
    And easily clamps on to whatever filter material I may choose, thick or thin.
    And has an extra "mesh" layer in front of the actual filter material, to improve aesthetics etc.

I may be able to use something from demciflex, they do custom sizes I think..
    Maybe they'll customize further by adding a clamping mechanism for the denser filter behind the mesh.
    Or that route may not be suitable at all......
    Last edited by jalyst; 05-08-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12