Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DICE Prepped For Xbox 720, PS4 Arrival, Battlefield 3 Pushing Consoles To Limit

Xtreme Member

DICE Prepped For Xbox 720, PS4 Arrival, Battlefield 3 Pushing Consoles To Limit

A confident Bach replied: "I don't know what the big corporations are thinking but definitely we are desperate to move on into the next generation. I think Battlefield 3 will look like a next-generation game and all the technology we're building, the whole Frostbite 2 system - the animations, audio, everything - is trying to aim for a couple of years in the future, rather than looking at what we have today.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...bsolute-limit/

between hearing this and seeing the unreal 3 tech videos it really does seem that at least some developers want to move onto a new console. hopefully it comes soonish and even more hopefully that sony and microsoft both over provision their consoles instead of under provisioning them
    Last edited by phantomferrari; 04-14-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    not my concern i game on a pc :P

Xtreme Member
    it should be your concern

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It would be nice if these developers made their games only for the PC where they don't have to deal with noticeable limitations as a form of pressure to make Microsoft and Sony hurry and get their new products out of the door.

But of course that wont happen as long as publishers are the ones who decide where the games will be released.
    Since neither MS or Sony seem eager to look ahead (Kinectic and The Move trying to extend the life of the platforms, anyone?) we surely have at least another year until something is announced.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by OutSider View Post
    it should be your concern
    Yeah, because we will now finally get the games we should already have 2 years ago. But since consoles were too weak we got some bogged down dumbed versions of games. That's the only reason why this should concern PC gamers.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Member
    sadly even if the game developing community really wants a new gen of console they will have to wait for microsoft and sony. microsoft doesnt seem like its in a hurry. and obviously sony is less likely to release a new console because of the extreme cost they were hit with when developing and implementing blu ray.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomferrari View Post
    sadly even if the game developing community really wants a new gen of console they will have to wait for microsoft and sony. microsoft doesnt seem like its in a hurry. and obviously sony is less likely to release a new console because of the extreme cost they were hit with when developing and implementing blu ray.
    Microsoft turned a profit much earlier with the Xbox 360 than Sony did with the PS3. I think Sony only recently actually started breaking even on the units themselves. But they recoup costs through other areas like Blu-Ray implementation, game sales, etc. Either way I can't see Sony recouping enough costs of that massive money sink to justify designing a state of the art console this year.

Granted the development cost would probably be orders of magnitude less since they already have Blu-Ray. Would just need to be a hardware/software update. It'd be nice to see them dump that cell architecture since even though it's "theoretically" superior, hardly any designers give a crap about optimizing something for that architecture.

I'm interested to see what Microsoft does with the Xbox 720 in terms of media. They'll have to implement Blu-Ray I'd imagine.
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If these dev are that frustrated with their seriously outdated console hardware to develop around, switch to a PC focus and then the console makers will take notice. They really need to make consoles upgradeable if they want to push PC gaming to the brink. If there was a simple option at half way through the console cycle to upgrade the graphics in it how many would do it? The game GUI would not even need to have graphic options, it could just be automatically detected and better graphic options selected. Since there would only be a single upgrade hardware there would be no conflicts. If the upgrade for the 7300 or whatever is in the xbox cost $150 and included a 460gtx and install, many people would jump instantly on that service and the performance improvement would be astronomical. Devs would not NEED to design for the newer card either. They could just keep it on the old hardware only and see no increase in dev cost or time.

I hardly game on console but they need to look into something like this to refresh their line. I think it could be quite a blow for PC gaming though.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
    If these dev are that frustrated with their seriously outdated console hardware to develop around, switch to a PC focus and then the console makers will take notice. They really need to make consoles upgradeable if they want to push PC gaming to the brink. If there was a simple option at half way through the console cycle to upgrade the graphics in it how many would do it? The game GUI would not even need to have graphic options, it could just be automatically detected and better graphic options selected. Since there would only be a single upgrade hardware there would be no conflicts. If the upgrade for the 7300 or whatever is in the xbox cost $150 and included a 460gtx and install, many people would jump instantly on that service and the performance improvement would be astronomical. Devs would not NEED to design for the newer card either. They could just keep it on the old hardware only and see no increase in dev cost or time.

I hardly game on console but they need to look into something like this to refresh their line. I think it could be quite a blow for PC gaming though.
    I don't think they are that frustrated. They care about making money number one and accessibility to as many people as possible. I can also imagine having to develop for a single aging platform compared(or two) to having to upgrade your systems and hardware to develope for this newest and greatest pc hardware.

This has been blizzard business models and it is why there games are not stressful at all. Consoles were not even considered and it is still a directx 9 game.

And as far as expansions and stuff go. Those have been flops in the past. People would rather go get a console then buy expansions. Sega CD, PC engine, and Nintendo ditched two of their expansions.

In addition, when it comes to accessories, all these companies would charge way more than 150. E.g 120 dollar for 250gb HD or 90 dollars for a wireless adaptor.

When you consider the sales numbers for console games, you would have to be a crazy to put pcs first. The last couple call of duties sold 20 million or so each. Its been a while for pc games to crack even 4 million. And if it was, it was likely a blizzard game.

Developing for the PC, especially the graphic orientated one, has been more of a goodwill gesture for PC owners. It is not really a profitable move.

Developing purely for graphic and the hardcore market stung crytek when they made crysis. Hence why they turned tail for consoles.

Ultimately the reason developers make games for consoles are they are much more profitable.
    Last edited by tajoh111; 04-15-2011 at 05:13 AM.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Member
    Pretty funny that console limitations are suddenly a concern now, they're obviously frustrated they can't sell more than the latest Call of Duty reskins and that it's nearly impossible to differentiate FPS games on stagnated hardware.

Foolish devs have made many of their jobs completely pointless, there's not much point programing fancy new engines and making new higher quality assets for outdated hardware is there.

I don't see how a new console would be of interest to sony or MS. Why would they care if all their customers buy 20 million copies of the latest call of duty and ignore everything else. They still get their royalties either way.

Maybe they should have considered this before they screwed their established customer base for some temporary free money and advertising from MS.

Xtreme Member
    A new BF3 trailer.. amazing..../drool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfrrA...layer_embedded

And of course the usual Hitler videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoS1X...watch_response
    Last edited by Florinmocanu; 04-15-2011 at 05:46 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    LOL, that Hitler video was spot on IMO.

Seriously though, how is BF3 supposed to work on an Xbox 360?

Xtreme Addict
    This one is so true and is even related to BF3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZLITd2PvkU
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post

Same way Cryengine 3 runs on it: 1280x720 or less, no AA, the equivalent of mid-high graphics (In Crysis 1 terms, and i'm quoting Crytek circa 2007 here), narrow maps (64 player will only be on PC, consoles will have less), the like.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardmech View Post
    Pretty funny that console limitations are suddenly a concern now, they're obviously frustrated they can't sell more than the latest Call of Duty reskins and that it's nearly impossible to differentiate FPS games on stagnated hardware.

Foolish devs have made many of their jobs completely pointless, there's not much point programing fancy new engines and making new higher quality assets for outdated hardware is there.

I don't see how a new console would be of interest to sony or MS. Why would they care if all their customers buy 20 million copies of the latest call of duty and ignore everything else. They still get their royalties either way.

Maybe they should have considered this before they screwed their established customer base for some temporary free money and advertising from MS.
    I would beg to differ. the last CoD was the best selling yet and anyone who has a console has it and loves it. I personally can't stand it even on PC. there is absolutely no differences between CoD 4 and Black Ops or any of the games in between....

I am really impressed so far with the looks of BF 3. It looks like they are going down a different road than every other FPS that is trying to be like CoD. it has a more realistic and well structure game-play mechanic. compared to the CoD style mechanic where everything is always exploding and they throw waves and waves of stupid enemies at you non stop.... also the combination of natural disasters and the use of a REAL physics engine are a pretty big leap forward.

one thing I have never understood is why people think that the 360 is the biggest problem and the thing holding back gaming tech.... the 360 has a faster GPU than the PS3. while the 60 is still incredibly slow it is faster that the PS3 in GPU processing.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post

Muddy textures, low res, no AA, the usual drill. But for once, we will get the much, much superior version
    i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz/Maximus IV Extreme
    2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866
    HD5870 1GB PCS+/OCZ Vertex 120GB +
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Corsair HX850/HAF 932/Acer GD235HZ
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Sennheiser PC-350 + Corsair SP2500

Xtreme Addict
    I would totally pick up a PS4, I'm just not holding my breath. I understand that Nintendo has a high probability for dropping wii2 at E3 but given the problems in Japan and Sony already working out the NGP....no PS4 till late 2012
    Case-Coolermaster Cosmos S
    MoBo- ASUS Crosshair IV
    Graphics Card-XFX R9 280X [out for RMA] using HD5870
    Hard Drive-Kingston 240Gig V300 master Seagate 160Gb slave Seagate 250Gb slave Seagate 500Gb slave Western Digital 500Gb
    CPU-AMD FX-8320 5Ghz
    RAM 8Gig Corshair c8
    Logitech 5.1 Z5500 BOOST22
    300Gb of MUSICA!!

Steam ID: alphamonkeywoman
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/933ab/

Xtreme Addict
    Would like to see valve saying:"source engine pushed consoles to the limit" lol
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks like the wii might be getting an upgrade. Found this here:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/14/w...ad-at-e3-2011/

Quote Originally Posted by phantomferrari View Post
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...bsolute-limit/

between hearing this and seeing the unreal 3 tech videos it really does seem that at least some developers want to move onto a new console. hopefully it comes soonish and even more hopefully that sony and microsoft both over provision their consoles instead of under provisioning them
    the new UT3 platform only works with pc, mac and arm currently so i dont see why they would do that unless the new consoles were close.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Anyone else think the title meant overclocking an Xbox using Dice as a cooler?
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    Anyone else think the title meant overclocking an Xbox using Dice as a cooler?
    it would be cooler but it needs more ram not more clocks
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Addict
    Am I the only one that thinks Xbox 720 is just plain stupid?

I mean, 360 is ok, full circle, etc. etc. etc...

But 2 complete turns? Wouldn't that make you a litle dizzy?
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Luka_Aveiro View Post

maybe we will get xbox (x^2)+(y^2)-4

for the non math type thats a circle with a radius of 2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka_Aveiro View Post

Two RROD.

All systems sold. Will be back after Sandy Bridge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast