Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watercooling and Algae

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor View Post
    Hmm... I'm considering blacking out the reservoir, although it is kind of a bumer to check water levels afterwards, guess it's still better than having the system filled with goo

Let's see if I can get that kill coil then, everyone talks so much about it.

Any thoughts on Feser One cooling? The guys at the local store say it's the only stuff they have because its good with everything: no coloring goo on the loop and tubing, no algae growth and not conductive(though they don't exactly believe this part that much).

Best regards
    It's a lie, every claim of non separating or non staining is a lie.

biocide part may be true

Even mayhem / ianh stated it will. It's probbly the safest to use.

At some point every one is going to do one or both. Theres a reason every says the same thing distilled and silver.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    My main rig I have a bad algae problem that I need to clean up, but haven't yet. Temps are slowly getting worse, I can only imagine what the blocks look like

A server rig that I have also is running pure distilled + a killcoil, the res is clear, tubes clear, and still are after at least 6 months now of running.
    I see, thanks. But then aren't you worried about galvanic corrosion? Or have you used some anti-corrosive to go with the killcoil?
    Gentoo Linux in:
    "Windsor" 5200+ @ 3GHz, 6GB DDR2-800, JetWay M25GT6, XFX 8800GS XXX, 320GB Samsung 321KJ, HDA X-Mystique

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post
    It's a lie, every claim of non separating or non staining is a lie.

biocide part may be true

Even mayhem / ianh stated it will. It's probbly the safest to use.

At some point every one is going to do one or both. Theres a reason every says the same thing distilled and silver.

One thing is sure, they have an open PC which has had watercooling for ages and it really doesn't looked stained. I haven't had that luck with most additives though.
    Gentoo Linux in:
    "Windsor" 5200+ @ 3GHz, 6GB DDR2-800, JetWay M25GT6, XFX 8800GS XXX, 320GB Samsung 321KJ, HDA X-Mystique

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I see, thanks. But then aren't you worried about galvanic corrosion? Or have you used some anti-corrosive to go with the killcoil?
    No corrosion if the only material your loop is comprised of is copper and elements inert with it. Aluminum or something out of Thermaltake's assortment? Now we are talking

I noticed a stain on my res, so I might have some puke somewhere in the loop. I'm going to disassemble it as soon as my mobo block arrives anyway, so I find this information here most useful
    ..:Core i7 870///eVGA P55 Classified///VTX3D Radeon 6970///Asus Xonar D2X///16GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL///WD 6400AAKS 640Gb///Samsung F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB///Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB///Pioneer DVR 216///Seasonic X-series 850///Corsair Obsidian 800D///Logitech G15 rev.1///Logitech G400@Zowie G-TF Spawn///Philips 240SW:..

..:EK Supreme Acetal///Bitspower Black Freezer EIP55NSC///Magicool Pro III///S-Flex E@7v///Laing DDC-1T w/ EK Plexi top///EK Multioption 150:..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lets see if I can sum things up for you since it's obvious you're a bit confused.

The non-conductive fluid claim is BS. Even if it is non-conductive out of the bottle, eventually it will become contaminated and become conductive. Best bet is to just be careful when filling and make sure all connections are secure.

If the components in your loop are all copper, brass, nickel, or silver there's no need to worry about galvanic corrosion. Most wc'ing components are made of these today so it's easy to avoid the corrosion issue.

Use distilled water and a silver killcoil and you won't have to worry about algae or dye separating and clogging up your blocks. If you really want some color use colored tubing.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
    Lets see if I can sum things up for you since it's obvious you're a bit confused.

The non-conductive fluid claim is BS. Even if it is non-conductive out of the bottle, eventually it will become contaminated and become conductive. Best bet is to just be careful when filling and make sure all connections are secure.

If the components in your loop are all copper, brass, nickel, or silver there's no need to worry about galvanic corrosion. Most wc'ing components are made of these today so it's easy to avoid the corrosion issue.

Use distilled water and a silver killcoil and you won't have to worry about algae or dye separating and clogging up your blocks. If you really want some color use colored tubing.
    Is that related to the anodic index then? So aluminum would cause me problems but brass + copper would be ok? From what I can see from that table mixing nickel would be a no go.

So I currently have an apogee GT, severel nickel plated connectors(or so it seems) and a brass(possibly also copper based) radiator from Swiftech. Guess I dump the connectors and I'm ok?
    Gentoo Linux in:

Chasing After Diety
    Is that related to the anodic index then? So aluminum would cause me problems but brass + copper would be ok? From what I can see from that table mixing nickel would be a no go.

So I currently have an apogee GT, severel nickel plated connectors(or so it seems) and a brass(possibly also copper based) radiator from Swiftech. Guess I dump the connectors and I'm ok?
    Brass + Copper + Silver + Gold + Titanium + Zinc + (good quality Steel) + Chrome
    = will all play nice together..

The corrosion between those metals is so obnoxiously slow, by the time u notice something corrode, you'll hair will have also corroded away.

Alu <--- this is the main thing we warn people about.... especially if theres copper in the connecting loop.

Bad steel / iron... this straight up rusts... and yes ive had it happen inside a loop.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Copper and copper alloys are safe together. Nickel, brass, copper, silver, gold, stainless steel - all safe. So nope, no corrosion worries, so no corrosion inhibitor needed
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Hmm... I'm considering blacking out the reservoir, although it is kind of a bumer to check water levels afterwards, guess it's still better than having the system filled with goo

Let's see if I can get that kill coil then, everyone talks so much about it.

Any thoughts on Feser One cooling? The guys at the local store say it's the only stuff they have because its good with everything: no coloring goo on the loop and tubing, no algae growth and not conductive(though they don't exactly believe this part that much).

Best regards
    Looks like your local store guys don't know much about real watercooling, or they are trying to get you to buy stuff, have it screw up and buy more stuff. Better yet, ask them what watercooling forums they frequent and post regularily to. Betcha it's ZERO.

Please read these links.
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...51#post6665651
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=170188
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Looks like your local store guys don't know much about real watercooling, or they are trying to get you to buy stuff, have it screw up and buy more stuff. Better yet, ask them what watercooling forums they frequent and post regularily to. Betcha it's ZERO.

Please read these links.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=170188
    All righty

Thank you for the input. I'll try to grab the kill coil then and start experimenting with it. This week I think I'll get to cleaning the pump and res, which are the ones in need of care.
    Gentoo Linux in:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    Brass + Copper + Silver + Gold + Titanium + Zinc + (good quality Steel) + Chrome
    = will all play nice together..

The corrosion between those metals is so obnoxiously slow, by the time u notice something corrode, you'll hair will have also corroded away.

Alu <--- this is the main thing we warn people about.... especially if theres copper in the connecting loop.

Bad steel / iron... this straight up rusts... and yes ive had it happen inside a loop.
    Ok, I see. Well, guess I'll grab some plastic connectors like the one the Apogee comes with just to be safe. This way it's just plastic, brass and copper, no way to go wrong with it.

Thanks!
    Gentoo Linux in:

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Justr get a couple of those algae eating fish and toss in the res..
    Now get very small ones or when they get sucked into the tubing they will get stuck in the WB or HMM, wonder if they would make it thru the pump?
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    Ok, I see. Well, guess I'll grab some plastic connectors like the one the Apogee comes with just to be safe. This way it's just plastic, brass and copper, no way to go wrong with it.

Thanks!
    I think you mean plastic barbs? If so, don't do that, the flow in the plastic barbs isn't too great, the high quality metal ones are far superior, not to mention ease of use.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    no one told you to change any components. just use pt nuke or a silver kill coil + distilled water. that's the only change you need to do other than cleaning.
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m0r7if3r View Post
    I think you mean plastic barbs? If so, don't do that, the flow in the plastic barbs isn't too great, the high quality metal ones are far superior, not to mention ease of use.
    Not the ones that fit the tubing on the inside, the ones that are exactly like most swiftech barbs. Those seem fine don't they?
    Gentoo Linux in:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by penguins View Post
    no one told you to change any components. just use pt nuke or a silver kill coil + distilled water. that's the only change you need to do other than cleaning.
    Yes, I know. I'm just saying that the anodic index doesn't really encourage the use of nickel plated barbs in circuits where copper or brass is present, so I'm just playing safe on that one. Aluminium seems a lot worse, though, so I guess that nickel should be that of an hazardous but using plastic barbs is not exactly an expensive change and I also have at least one barb corroded, so I have to exchange it either way.

These are the plastic barbs I'm talking about.

Best regards
    Gentoo Linux in:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nickel plated is perfectly safe, as long as the plating is good, even then it's nickel plated brass and what your worrying about is posting flaking off.

MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I also have at least one barb corroded, so I have to exchange it either way.
    You have a corroded nickel plated barb? I highly doubt that. It might be coated with crap but nothing you can't clean off.

You really need to listen to what we've been telling you. Nickel is fine in a loop with copper and brass. By the time you'd see any corrosion issues with nickel your great grandchildren will be dead.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Chasing After Diety
    plastic sucks.. trust me.. when we used that, we had nightmares with the threading getting worn out and then leaking.
    This also brings back a period in time where we used plumbers tape to stop leaking on plastic.

Never want to go back there again.

Use standard blocks.. and ur good with almost every fitting out there.

As i said, the only thing u need to avoid is ALU in general.
    And rarely anything comes in alu now, unless its a AIO... All in One.. kit like the H6O <--- alu rad.. or a innovotek mockery.

If any of the other vendors used Wetted ALU, and didnt state that, they would get a crucifixion on XS, on biblical proportions.
    You can ask Gabe himself.. he suffered though a couple...

And koolance wont go back there again... i think there very happy with there position current, seeing how they are probably the top to second top vendor in size.
    Only company i think may be simular or larger being Swiftech.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post
    Nickel plated is perfectly safe, as long as the plating is good, even then it's nickel plated brass and what your worrying about is posting flaking off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
    You have a corroded nickel plated barb? I highly doubt that. It might be coated with crap but nothing you can't clean off.

You really need to listen to what we've been telling you. Nickel is fine in a loop with copper and brass. By the time you'd see any corrosion issues with nickel your great grandchildren will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    plastic sucks.. trust me.. when we used that, we had nightmares with the threading getting worn out and then leaking.
    This also brings back a period in time where we used plumbers tape to stop leaking on plastic.

Never want to go back there again.

Use standard blocks.. and ur good with almost every fitting out there.

As i said, the only thing u need to avoid is ALU in general.
    And rarely anything comes in alu now, unless its a AIO... All in One.. kit like the H6O <--- alu rad.. or a innovotek mockery.

If any of the other vendors used Wetted ALU, and didnt state that, they would get a crucifixion on XS, on biblical proportions.
    You can ask Gabe himself.. he suffered though a couple...

And koolance wont go back there again... i think there very happy with there position current, seeing how they are probably the top to second top vendor in size.
    Only company i think may be simular or larger being Swiftech.
    +1 +1 +1

you might have noticed nickel plating come off, that isn't corrosion.

Silver is further away from brass/copper than nickel is!! the corrosion between silver and copper are slower than hell man.. double that for nickel. aluminum is 9 items away from copper, silver is 2.. All the serious posts here have told you nothing other than Clean! and Add PT nuke or silver or both!!
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12