Thread: Aquaero 5 functionality questions

Banned

Exclamation Aquaero 5 functionality questions

The Aquaero 5 looks like a great little controller. I've been looking around through everything I could find for the answers, but there is no clear answer on specific functionality.

I'd like to know:

- looking at the connectors, I see the two PWM headers but they don't seem to be usable by standard 4 pin connectors. I'd like to make use of this to control the speed of my MCP35x pump...
    - I see it says it controls up to 4 fans, without using PWM. Why then does 1 of the 4 fan plugs have a white 4 pin connector, when the other 3 use a black 3 pin connector? Can you use the one 4 pin for a PWM signal only? I'd rather of course just use the two dedicated 12v pwm plugs - I wonder if you can just buy a new plug, and splice your wires to work with it?
    - I liked with the Aquaero 4 how you could change the display background colour... any such options with this one? My only gripe -> why is it only black and white? The NZXT LX I currently have, while inferior hardware/software wise... looks pretty when on. I love the professional quality look of the AE 5 overall and I wan't one... but will there ever be a colour option?
    Last edited by chorner; 04-16-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    chorner: 4th AA5's fan channel has standard 4-pin connector and can be used in both pwm or analogous mode. Ignore those two 2-pin pwm channels. They won't work for regulating pwm pumps.

Banned
    Thanks for the heads up churchy. Are they only used specifically for their line of pumps then? That's kind of a PITA you can't make use of them.

Xtreme Guru
    Nope, their own line of pumps, aquastreams, are controlled by aquabus, or usb for ultra versions if used standalone. again no relation to these two channels, which frankly .. you can simply ignore.

Aqua Computer Rep
    As said, the 4th fan output can be used as a regular analog fan header or as PWM. You could use a y-adapter here to connect two pumps to the PWM signal. The two dedicated PWM outputs can be used with LEDs for example.

Changing the display color can only be done with color foils. The effect depends a lot on the color so don't expect any wonders. The display is custom made and can not be exchanged with other models.

@churchy: also the standard and advanced pumps can use USB.
    Got a question or having a problem with your Aqua Computer product?
    Contact us via PM or E-Mail.

Xtreme Guru
    BTW, speaking about Y-pwm-splitter, i ordered customised one @frozen-cpu for two MCP35X pumps. Most of such splitters have tach signal wire from one of pumps/fans cut, to not confuse rpm readings, but i asked to extend it with extra 3-pin connector, that i plan to connect to different AA5 channel. This way both pumps will still be simultaneously regulated, but i'll also have rpm readings from both - one to their common 4-pin connector, and other to that extra 3-pin. If you ever shop @frozen-cpu, you can order it by part number: cus-24

Shoggy:
    Is there any possibility to extend in future versions/revisions AA5 so that more (or even all) channels will become such hybrid analog/pwm ones like currently 4th one is? With time pwm fans are getting more and more commmon. +One can power LOT of them from single channel, as one can supply power separately and only use AA5 for monitoring/regulation, so no problems with overcurrent/overheating. Or you can release some PWM PowerAdjust with several pwm outputs/channels.
    Last edited by Church; 04-17-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Aqua Computer Rep
    I don't think that the aquaero 5 will get such an upgrade due to technical limitations. If ever it would require an extension via aquabus and there is nothing planed into this direction.
    Got a question or having a problem with your Aqua Computer product?
    Contact us via PM or E-Mail.

Banned
    You might need to add a ground wire to that extra 3 pin tach wire churchy. No?

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    BTW, speaking about Y-pwm-splitter, i ordered customised one @frozen-cpu for two MCP35X pumps. Most of such splitters have tach signal wire from one of pumps/fans cut, to not confuse rpm readings, but i asked to extend it with extra 3-pin connector, that i plan to connect to different AA5 channel. This way both pumps will still be simultaneously regulated, but i'll also have rpm readings from both - one to their common 4-pin connector, and other to that extra 3-pin. If you ever shop @frozen-cpu, you can order it by part number: cus-24

Shoggy:
    Is there any possibility to extend in future versions/revisions AA5 so that more (or even all) channels will become such hybrid analog/pwm ones like currently 4th one is? With time pwm fans are getting more and more commmon. +One can power LOT of them from single channel, as one can supply power separately and only use AA5 for monitoring/regulation, so no problems with overcurrent/overheating. Or you can release some PWM PowerAdjust with several pwm outputs/channels.

Xtreme Guru
    chorner: Hmm, you think so? MCP35X gets it's power by two wires from 4pin molex (ground and +12V), and has two wires, rpm tach signal one and pwm regulation one from 4-pin fan connector. Many other DDC and D5 clones have similar separate wiring (minus pwm one), eg. this one. Does it really need ground for rpm signal to work? :/

Xtreme Member
    chorner: Hmm, you think so? MCP35X gets it's power by two wires from 4pin molex (ground and +12V), and has two wires, rpm tach signal one and pwm regulation one from 4-pin fan connector. Many other DDC and D5 clones have similar separate wiring (minus pwm one), eg. this one. Does it really need ground for rpm signal to work? :/
    Yup, rpm is output in relation to the ground which is why the reading goes nuts when you 7v mod a fan

I don't want to hijack chorner's thread but I've been wondering about the exact same thing; I'm gonna be running 2 x MCP35X, I just red I can use a Y splitter (such as GeLid's I guess, or churchy's cus-24), so that's fine, but I also have 6x Akasa Apache fans for my RX360. These Akasa fans only have 4 pins PWM connectors, so how would I connect them to the AA5 knowing I'll be using the PWM header for the pumps? I've got me 2 of these Akasa PWM splitters, but I still don't know how we can connect the 4 pin connectors to the AA5...

Xtreme Guru
    acutech: probably you can forget about regulating both fans and pumps from aquaero5 then. As there is only _one_ (4th) channel that can be used for such, and while it might work for eg. all same fans on same rad OR same pumps in one loop, i doubt that you'll wish for both fans and pumps be regulated at same PWM duty cycle. I recall Shoggy writing that there will be developed slave firmware for aquaero5, by which you'll be able to connect and extend one aquaero with another one (eg. cheapest, LT one), by which you'll get another PWM channel, but it's rather costly option.
    m0r7if3r: but can you tell me why those pumps then have only single wire for rpm tach reporting and how can it work then, if they must have ground connected by that connector too?

Xtreme Member
    m0r7if3r: but can you tell me why those pumps then have only single wire for rpm tach reporting and how can it work then, if they must have ground connected by that connector too?
    doesn't have to be connected to that connector, the ground is common from the PSU across the whole motherboard, it's all just one big ground

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I would voltage control the fans and PWM control the pumps. The only downside is you don't have quite as much RPM range on voltage control as you do PWM, but fans should still have enough range. I would rather have them controlled independently anyhow. I currently have my pump and fans running off one PWM header and find that a bit limiting. It would be nice to have one more PWM header for two separate loops though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by m0r7if3r View Post
    doesn't have to be connected to that connector, the ground is common from the PSU across the whole motherboard, it's all just one big ground
    Edit: hmmm, churchy it might actually work out. You're just leading to yellow wire out to a different source, and the PWM managed component you're plugging in will be grounded to the 4 pin plug anyhow. Never mind... I think you're good lol doh.
    Last edited by chorner; 04-17-2011 at 01:22 PM.

@Martinm210; I don't mind doing this, if indeed your indication was aimed at my interrogation... Let's say I connect both pumps to the PWM header on the AA5 using a Y pwm splitter, then where do I connect the 2 other 4 pin connectors resulting in using both Akasa pwm splitters on wich you can connect 3 fans each?