Thread: Advice with biocide.

Question Advice with biocide.

Hi all, for some time now I’ve been thinking about going wc. I’m planning to get the XSPC kit with de RX240 and for coolant I’ll be using just distilled water and biocide. That’s where my problem appears, everybody says PT Nuke -PHN and/or silver kill coil. The thing is that I can’t get any of them where I live. What else could I use as biocide? Maybe some aquarium related product with benzalkonium chloride as the PT Nuke?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Xtreme Member
    Where are you located? Could you go to a jeweler and get some 99% pure silver?

Xtreme Mentor
    Some people have had great success with some aquarium products. Maybe someone will chime in and tell you what they use.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by m0r7if3r View Post
    Where are you located? Could you go to a jeweler and get some 99% pure silver?
    +1, silver over biocide

Chasing After Diety
    Or even a Silver ingot will work if u got a tube res.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Thanks to all. I’ll try to get some silver 99% and make a kill coil. Does it need to have some specific quantity of silver or volume?
    Using the kill coil without biocide would be all right?

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan N. View Post
    Thanks to all. I’ll try to get some silver 99% and make a kill coil. Does it need to have some specific quantity of silver or volume?
    Using the kill coil without biocide would be all right?
    shall i tell you my story version?

or you want a direct version to this answer?

Story version:
    i'll have to search it.. but its a good story!

Direct Version:
    Conditions... what water your using... also, how much light is in the system present.

If you have Cold Cathods, or a lot of led's, and im talking.. like u can have a full on rave led party inside your case, then you will need both.

anti microbes solutions will degrade over time, or deposit on your tubing.. or even possibly diffuse out of solution in concentration over time.
    Time being several months... up to 1 year.

If your starting with distilled, and your lighting is to a minimum... like your basic mother board leds + a couple others... Then you wont need anything but silver.

Distilled is naturally aggressive, and will start leeching silver + copper ions immediately.

If your tubing gets direct sunlight, then you are straight up fubared... nothing will save you from that.

Not unless u do a 3/4 glycol mix.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    Or even a Silver ingot will work if u got a tube res.
    You can also use true silver BP fittings.

Banned
    I have had algee grow in both feser one and thermochill ec6. I used cc's in both cases. I am using distilled and silver with a wee bit of sun light and no issues so far. Just remember, frequent maintence will help prvent algee issues.

distiled water and pt nuke end of.

Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    shall i tell you my story version?

or you want a direct version to this answer?

Story version:
    i'll have to search it.. but its a good story!

Direct Version:
    Conditions... what water your using... also, how much light is in the system present.

If you have Cold Cathods, or a lot of led's, and im talking.. like u can have a full on rave led party inside your case, then you will need both.

anti microbes solutions will degrade over time, or deposit on your tubing.. or even possibly diffuse out of solution in concentration over time.
    Time being several months... up to 1 year.

If your starting with distilled, and your lighting is to a minimum... like your basic mother board leds + a couple others... Then you wont need anything but silver.

Distilled is naturally aggressive, and will start leeching silver + copper ions immediately.

If your tubing gets direct sunlight, then you are straight up fubared... nothing will save you from that.

Not unless u do a 3/4 glycol mix.
    Good info. I only have one led fan that I can turn off and the mobo’s leds, all the tubing will be inside the case (no window) and I don’t plan to add any lights. So it should be ok only with the silver.

Quote Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
    You can also use true silver BP fittings.
    Anyone has a personal experience about this? I can get a couple of these fittings. Two of them would be enough? Because I’ve read some comments about the amount of silver in it and about how many are needed instead of the kill coil. And some says 6, others 4 and some says that with one it should be ok.