Thread: Benching OS

Xtreme Addict

Benching OS

I think we need a regularly update sticky for how to make a benching OS on a dedicated hard drive. XP seems to be the OS of choice for these benching OS's, but I have no idea where to find a copy of XP. Also, I hear a lot about 'stripped' versions of XP, but I don't see them anywhere either. I want to fill this post with:
    • Benching OS's (stripped or nonstripped)
    • Common CPU Benchmarks
    • Common GPU Benchmarks
    • Common RAM Benchmarks
    • Common Mobo Benchmarks
    • Common Troubleshooting Programs

... and a how to on setting everything up.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    if you search you will find a few (benchzowner had a few posted), but your best bet is if you are still in school or know someone in college is to buy a copy of XP Pro 32 bit since students get it stupid cheap, and then you can use nlite to strip the components you don't need or want. Honestly though a default install of XP Pro with the right tweaks is usually good enough, it really just depends on what bench your rocking.

Xtreme Addict
    Well I'm in highschool, but I don't know exactly where to get a copy of XP. Do I go online and claim I'm a student or do I go to some office in the school? And why 32 bit, isn't 64 bit more suitable for a benching OS?
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Member
    here is the thread with BenchZowner's benching OS's

various versions of windows on there.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=246346
    GIGABYTE G1.Sniper
    I7 950---12GB F3-12800CL9T-12GBSR--GTX 460 hawk talon attack--300gb velociraptor
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    i7 2600k---GTX560 ti 2gb----16gb mushkin 997005---120gb mushkin chronos deluxe
    PC power & cooling 750 quad

Xtreme Addict
    So to keep those BenchZowned OS's on my rig validated, where would I buy a key?

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by 95blackz26 View Post
    here is the thread with BenchZowner's benching OS's

various versions of windows on there.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=246346
    in some cases his os was slower than a properly modified XP Pro / server 03 install

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by l0ud_sil3nc3 View Post
    in some cases his os was slower than a properly modified XP Pro / server 03 install
    the win 7 x64 version failed to install for me. doesn't even get halfway through the second stage after copying the files before it pops an error up and it's not the error that he talked about in the post.

i haven't tried it on my regular machine but the XP's wouldn't even install for me in VMWARE. keeps telling me to insert the floppy for the scsi adapter.

so at the end of the day i would say the OS's in that link are a bust. you would be better off just doing a barebone install and tweaking it yourself.
    GIGABYTE G1.Sniper
    I7 950---12GB F3-12800CL9T-12GBSR--GTX 460 hawk talon attack--300gb velociraptor
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    i7 2600k---GTX560 ti 2gb----16gb mushkin 997005---120gb mushkin chronos deluxe
    PC power & cooling 750 quad