Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 4 is out

Xtreme Enthusiast

Firefox 4 is out

I am surprised that nobody put up a thread. Not an April's Fool event, it's really out now. Going to test it out with my favourite addons (particularly greasemonkey).

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

I am Xtreme
    old

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You're right, I can't believe I just noticed it today.

Xtreme Addict
    Oldie but goldie It has been out since 22th March
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Cruncher
    Memory usage is atrocious if you leave it running for more than a few hours.

I've got 4 Tabs open, its using 250MB of Ram and 230MB of Virtual Memory
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post

Ram is a commodity, you probably still got like 6gb free. I don't know if it's adaptive, but the windows system itself already tries to use as much ram as possible if it's available.

It's all good as well making something use 10mb of ram, but why not use it if it makes things faster?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Amount of tabs you open and ram usage isn't linear though. Regardless, I'm getting used to seeing firefox consume 1 GB of ram.

Last time I thought 4 GB was too much. Now IMO, 4 GB is the bare minimum. Really could use more, but meh, using DDR2. Much later we'd probably see 8 GB being the norm.

Xtreme Cruncher

Quote Originally Posted by DeltZ View Post
    Ram is a commodity, you probably still got like 6gb free. I don't know if it's adaptive, but the windows system itself already tries to use as much ram as possible if it's available.

It's all good as well making something use 10mb of ram, but why not use it if it makes things faster?
    I've only got 2GB of ram. I have no problem with Windows 7 caching everything into ram, since it gets dumped as soon as something calls for it. The problem is that the ram Firefox uses isn't recoverable unless I close Firefox out. The worst part is that all the ram it uses doesn't appear to be making it any faster.

If I leave FireFox open for over a day, it gets to a point where it seems to stop releasing memory. I can have 2-3 tabs open, and it will be sitting there at 700MB useage. The more ram it starts to use, I find it actually gets slower.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've only got 2GB of ram. I have no problem with Windows 7 caching everything into ram, since it gets dumped as soon as something calls for it. The problem is that the ram Firefox uses isn't recoverable unless I close Firefox out. The worst part is that all the ram it uses doesn't appear to be making it any faster.

If I leave FireFox open for over a day, it gets to a point where it seems to stop releasing memory. I can have 2-3 tabs open, and it will be sitting there at 700MB useage. The more ram it starts to use, I find it actually gets slower.
    mhmm that sounds pretty bad indeed.

Xtreme Cruncher
    so far, i like FF4. only thing bad about it right now is that none of the themes are compatible yet, but it's only a matter of time until they make comptible addon themes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFireDragon View Post
    so far, i like FF4. only thing bad about it right now is that none of the themes are compatible yet, but it's only a matter of time until they make comptible addon themes
    really?

My theme seems to be working fine.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    really?

My theme seems to be working fine.
    same here.

I had some issues with 11.4 crashing ff4 but working with ff4.2, then I rolled back to 11.2 and all is fine.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbox View Post
    I am surprised that nobody put up a thread. Not an April's Fool event, it's really out now. Going to test it out with my favourite addons (particularly greasemonkey).

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/
    I was wondering how long it was going to take people to put up a FF4 thread. There are a ton of reviews out about it some even explain the new features. I might add some links laters.

@antiacid what issues did you have with 4.2? Did you try the 11.3 drivers?

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Been using it for a week. Picked up 2 trojan downloaders a couple other trojans (Trogan.Agent/gen) and a couple fake W7 Anti-Spyware programs. Lost all access to Malwarebytes, Superantispyware etc. and even Task Manager. Ran Super Antispyware portable but only found 2 of them. Managed to get Malwarebytes running and cleaned house!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by antiacid View Post
    same here.

I had some issues with 11.4 crashing ff4 but working with ff4.2, then I rolled back to 11.2 and all is fine.
    what is the 11.4, 11.2, or ff4.2 you're talking about? the only one i downloaded is the firefox 4.0 from the official site, and most addons work (like adblock and gestures), but the noia theme i wanted is not supported by FF4 yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    He's talking about this Firefox 4.2.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o....installer.exe

11.4 and 11.2 are ATI driver versions.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    He's talking about this Firefox 4.2.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o....installer.exe

11.4 and 11.2 are ATI driver versions.
    If the news about Mozilla trying to go the Chrome route on bumping the mayor version number every few months, then FF4.2 will be renamed to FF5 by the time it reaches beta stage.
    Sort of like the way they did with 3.1 -> 3.5 and 3.7 -> 4.0

Anyway, about FF4 i can say i love it, specially thanks to the GPU acceleration. Stuff like the 3D mode from XKCD's April Fools, or the HTML5 canvas tech demos work extremely fluid thanks to the aid of the GPU, where in browsers like Opera or Chrome it lags like hell.

The "Panorama" feature is neat but i don't find myself using it at all. Guess i don't use enough tabs to make it useful.

And one thing I miss is the status bar, and the extension i tried that simulated one didn't feel right. The browser seems naked without it :P
    Last edited by Pontos; 04-02-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I didnt use the statusbar anyways so i dont miss it
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontos View Post
    If the news about Mozilla trying to go the Chrome route on bumping the mayor version number every few months, then FF4.2 will be renamed to FF5 by the time it reaches beta stage.
    Sort of like the way they did with 3.1 -> 3.5 and 3.7 -> 4.0

Anyway, about FF4 i can say i love it, specially thanks to the GPU acceleration. Stuff like the 3D mode from XKCD's April Fools, or the HTML5 canvas tech demos work extremely fluid thanks to the aid of the GPU, where in browsers like Opera or Chrome it lags like hell.

The "Panorama" feature is neat but i don't find myself using it at all. Guess i don't use enough tabs to make it useful.

And one thing I miss is the status bar, and the extension i tried that simulated one didn't feel right. The browser seems naked without it :P
    What Panorama feature might you be talking about?

The status bar got changed to chrome-style. I find it satisfactory, but what has been bugging me most of the time is how it goes from left to right when you hover at it, and vice versa. Also, it randomly appears at the right corner, or the left corner. It's annoying... but it's fun

Kills a bit of productivity playing with it though

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What Panorama feature might you be talking about?

The status bar got changed to chrome-style. I find it satisfactory, but what has been bugging me most of the time is how it goes from left to right when you hover at it, and vice versa. Also, it randomly appears at the right corner, or the left corner. It's annoying... but it's fun

Kills a bit of productivity playing with it though
    Press Ctrl + Shift + E and you will see the Panorama I'm talking about

Btw, about Firefox 4.2? It just got renamed to Firefox 5. Or Firefox 6 maybe, I'm honestly not sure.

The HG repository for Mozilla-Central got a commit that bumped the version number from 4.2 to 6.0, but at the same time a new clone repository was created called Mozilla-Aurora which contains a new commit that replaced that 6.0 with 5.0.

So we have the usual Mozilla-Central apparently dealing with Firefox 6, and this "Mozilla-Aurora" (Probably a codename) dealing with Firefox 5 (Nightlies site for Aurora here).

There's also a new repository called Mozilla-Beta, but i have no idea what this one is about.
    Mozilla Version Control repositories used to be simpler

Xtreme Member
    the HTML5 canvas tech demos work extremely fluid thanks to the aid of the GPU, where in browsers like Opera or Chrome it lags like hell.
    Sorry to say, in opera it is significantly faster...
    Say here, it is just like twice faster:
    http://spielzeugz.de/html5/liquid-particles.html
    As well as in other demos there:
    Windows 8.1
    Asus M4A87TD EVO + Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3900MHz + HD3850
    APUs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA View Post
    Sorry to say, in opera it is significantly faster...
    Say here, it is just like twice faster:
    As well as in other demos there:
    I tried disabling GPU acceleration in FF4 and it became fluid like in Opera (Otherwise it was laggy as heck). Same thing happens with IE9 GPU accel.
    There seems to be some problem when trying to run it using the GPU, which is really weird.

IMO, this is an issue with this one demo because it happens with both browsers when enabling GPU Accel, and it's the first demo i see that has such a problem.

Check for example http://xk3d.xkcd.com/, which is only fluid when using GPU accel in both IE9 and FF4.
    Also http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/pe...g/Default.html, where FF4 is faster than in IE9 even though it's a Microsoft demo .

Xtreme Member

Thumbs up

I tried disabling GPU acceleration in FF4 and it became fluid like in Opera (Otherwise it was laggy as heck). Same thing happens with IE9 GPU accel.
    There seems to be some problem when trying to run it using the GPU, which is really weird.

IMO, this is an issue with this one demo because it happens with both browsers when enabling GPU Accel, and it's the first demo i see that has such a problem.

Check for example http://xk3d.xkcd.com/, which is only fluid when using GPU accel in both IE9 and FF4.
    Also http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/pe...g/Default.html, where FF4 is faster than in IE9 even though it's a Microsoft demo .
    On my second monitor on sidebar trinket GPU usage peaked at 12% while doing that psychedelicbrowsing test

.:. Obsidian 750D .:. i7 5960X .:. EVGA Titan .:. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 32GB .:. CORSAIR HX850i .:. Asus X99-DELUXE .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
    On my second monitor on sidebar trinket GPU usage peaked at 12% while doing that psychedelicbrowsing test
    Yes, that's because of FF4's GPU Accel. The thing runs on the GPU instead of the CPU.

Try disabling GPU accel and you will get like 100 instead of 1885.
    Opera gets like 120 (Faster than FF4 without GPU accel, btw).

Xtreme Member
    Only IE9 has sound there though...
    Windows 8.1
    Asus M4A87TD EVO + Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3900MHz + HD3850
    APUs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast