Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 info's

Quote Originally Posted by =SOC= Admiral View Post
    Im guessing they their will be a lot of bugs with this os. My reason is because its suppose to be the first 64 Bit only OS. This would be a full rewrite of the OS itself to be 64 Bit only and a lot of development goes into this.
    Server 2008 R2 is 64-bit only... do you imagine there are fundamental differences between Server 2008 R2 and W7 64-bit? No complete rewrite required.

Xtreme Addict
    Im guessing they their will be a lot of bugs with this os. My reason is because its suppose to be the first 64 Bit only OS. This would be a full rewrite of the OS itself to be 64 Bit only and a lot of development goes into this. I just hope they didn't use 7 different programing languages again like previous releases. It is very very doubtful that there is anything past feature or operation test of single pieces atm.
    Win7 was supposed to be the last x86 ver of windows.
    They changed there mind on that though.
    Win2008 r2 is the 1st x64 only ver of windows.

I could see this happening for win8, but I won't believe it until I see it.

Edit: Zer0th beat me to the punch .

Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    Vista was a serious blip on microsofts OS radar. XP was great, and Windows 7 was even better.

I dont want something as bad as Vista again, Windows 7 is just so unbelievably reliable, and hasnt ever corrupted or had any problems requiring a reinstall like I always had to do with Vista.

So I have a lot of doubts on any OS that MS now release due to my problems with Vista.
    I have to disagree with the reliability part.
    I find it much less reliable then windows 2003.

Win7 is my prefered os though don't get me wrong on that, I still like it.

2008 was extremely buggy.
    Vista was actually better then 2008.
    Win7 is better then vista though.
    2008 r2, I have no idea, I never installed it.

The prob with vista that it was bloated, and it gutted support for directsound hardware acceleration.
    Now there are work arounds for both vista and win7, but there didn't used to be.

Offtopic like...
    I think it's weird you need 2 vga drivers installed.
    One for dx9, and the other for dx10/11.
    Aka user mode and kernel mode drivers.
    Just one of the smaller things I don't like about win7 or vista.

Aero used the dx9 part of the driver, with ie9 that might of changed though I'm not sure.

Xtreme Mentor
    I didnt use server OSes though, just 95, 98, XP, Vista and 7. And out of all of those, 7 was was the best one.

Vista used to keep on corrupting for me and it required a reinstall every few months, I have no idea why.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltZ View Post
    windows xp-2001
    windows vista-2006
    windows 7-2009
    windows 8 ? surely not so soon? Especially considering it's a popular OS unlike vista.
    If you look at this graphic from Windows 1.0 you can see MS typical 2-4 year cadance between OS launches. Since this is a pre-Beta, we could assume a 2012 launch for Windows 8, which would be close to their usually 3 years between new versions. The XP to Visa time lag of >4 years was the exception, not the norm.

Xtreme Guru
    ooookkkk so is this real or not, and if so, where to get it? i can get it the 'other' way but prefer to do that sparingly. my main interest is file system. still using NTFS i imagine, and what if any optimizations for SSD and other storage components?
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltZ View Post
    windows xp-2001
    windows vista-2006
    windows 7-2009
    windows 8 ? surely not so soon? Especially considering it's a popular OS unlike vista.
    They need an unified platform OS ASAP before desk/laptops became obsolete. Right now Android and iOS are not working in Microsofts favor and they need to tackle this war from their dominant playfield.

Windows Phone 7 was a fail in unifying handset/mobile and desktop experience. So W8 probably will be released across all platforms.
    Athlon 64 3200+ | ASUS M2A-VM 0202 | Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 | 3ware 9650SE 4LPML | Seasonic SS-380HB | Antec Solo
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | ASUS P5WDG2-WS Pro 1001 | Gigabyte 4850HD Silent | G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ | Samsung MCCOE64G5MPP-0VA SLC SSD | Seasonic M12 650 | Antec P180
    Core i7-2600K @ 4.3 GHz @ 1.30V | ASUS P8P67 Pro | Sparkle GTX 560 Ti | G.Skill Ripjaw X F3-12800CL8 4x4GB @ 933MHz 9-10-9-24 2T | Crucial C300 128GB | Seasonic X750 Gold | Antec P183

Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    DRAM production lines are simple and extremely cheap in a ultra low profit market.

Xtreme Guru
    this would be epic is it was validified news!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    Im guessing they their will be a lot of bugs with this os. My reason is because its suppose to be the first 64 Bit only OS. This would be a full rewrite of the OS itself to be 64 Bit only and a lot of development goes into this. I just hope they didn't use 7 different programing languages again like previous releases. It is very very doubtful that there is anything past feature or operation test of single pieces atm.
    It shouldn't require a rewrite at all, they would just not release a 32 bit only version, not nix the ability to run 32 bit code like with Linux (well you can if you install the required 32 bit libraries, etc).

So really all that changes is that people would be forced to use the 64 bit version, which only stops really old hardware and 16 bit software from being able to be used.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Addict
    How many Windows versions have been as stable and user friendly as W7 since day one?

None.

It's not perfect, but look at the history, RTM's have been much worse than W7.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    this would be epic is it was validified news!
    It's valid, Trust me. But I haven't gotten my hands on a build yet, since I'm not OEM (Microsoft is only supplying to OEM for OEMs to use private testers)

I can show you how you can verify it too.
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    Windows 7 is good enough, I dont need a new OS anytime soon.
    Au contraire. If you have a Laptop there is plenty of room for improvements. Just give me virtual Desktops and Windows will be way better suitable for Laptops.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Member
    IE in Win 8

http://microsoft-news.com/first-look...rnet-explorer/

Built in PDF Viewer in Win 8

http://microsoft-news.com/windows-8-...in-pdf-viewer/

Welcome Screen

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-screen-130065

Possible 2 inbuilt UI

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-ribbon-130084

Personally i think it looks VERY cool. Obviously inspired by metro UI on WP7 which being a user is bar none the best UI interface i've ever used. Makes my old ios look 100 years old.

Possible Sept release date.

http://microsoft-news.com/digitimes-...1-hp-on-board/
    Last edited by takamishanoku; 04-04-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Xtreme CCIE
    There was more news in Post #43 than in everything up to that point combined... moving to Tech Talk.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Member
    hopefully win 8 will be 64-bit only
    although I kinda doubt it

Administrator
    Computer - right click then properties

Or it should have the version in the lower right corner of the desktop watermark ?

I would not have that machine connected to the internet, stories of it calling home out there, if it is an actual Win 8.

Did it show that new startup screen thats being posted around ?
    If not then I don't think it is an actual Win 8

Xtreme Addict
    BUILD: 7850.0.100922-1508
    6.1.7850.0.winmain_win8m1.100922-1508_x86fre_client-enterprise_en-us.iso
    SIZE: 2,637,101,056 bytes
    MD5: EA2DCFADA6BBA517A0A0649D15E1EB3D
    SHA1: DCA69DF6074BCA8B5DBA5C8D6D030D53CB6D82C8

I'm getting it now.
    But I can't install it until I do something about my overheating prob at the moment.

It was shared on the 12th, 2 days ago I guess.
    I just realized it's almost 4-20..., I'm not skipping this holiday again lol.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    BUILD: 7850.0.100922-1508
    6.1.7850.0.winmain_win8m1.100922-1508_x86fre_client-enterprise_en-us.iso
    SIZE: 2,637,101,056 bytes
    MD5: EA2DCFADA6BBA517A0A0649D15E1EB3D
    SHA1: DCA69DF6074BCA8B5DBA5C8D6D030D53CB6D82C8

I'm getting it now.
    But I can't install it until I do something about my overheating prob at the moment.

It was shared on the 12th, 2 days ago I guess.
    I just realized it's almost 4-20..., I'm not skipping this holiday again lol.
    That is a M1 milestone from back in September 2010 and doesn't have any of the cool features from the newest stuff.

Xtreme Guru
    any release date on windows 8? kinda over windows 7 its time for a change

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    That is a M1 milestone from back in September 2010 and doesn't have any of the cool features from the newest stuff.
    Yeah I noticed, I probably should of paid more attention lol.
    There are screenshots of this build on the net.
    It doesn't look any different other then the new status bar buttons in explorer.

I haven't installed it yet.
    I just got my system stable again, it was overheating.
    Maybe in a week or so I'll install it, or just wait for the m2 leak.
    I don't know yet.

I do got vmware now I suppose I could try it in that.
    Still haven't been able to figure out ega mode, it keeps screwing up on one of my dos games...
    I think that's what I'll do, tonight.

Oh btw, I read something about it being able to run off a usb stick now.
    It used to bsod for no reason when installed on a usb stick (took some trickery).

Xtreme Addict

I just installed it using vmware.
    Boot logo and etc are the same as before.

This is all I've checked of it so far.
    I'll probably check the system cpl later.

If anyone wants me to check anything I will.

As for faster installing, I didn't notice.

And..., I didn't type out any of that stuff in that screenshot.
    It comes that way.
    The odd wallpaper in win8 that says shhh, and etc, all microsofts.

I probably should of changed my win7's wallpaper before taking that screenshot, lol, who cares.

Edit:
    Later on I plan on checking to see if I can crack it by hand.
    Should be easy, but maybe they changed things up.
    If I was to have success with that, I'll post screens but not the method of course, that stays with me.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 04-19-2011 at 01:05 PM.

NooB MOD
    Anyone else notice it boots a bit slower or is it just me?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Guru
    AFAIK it isnt even windows 8, just a updated and enchanced windows 7.. I've contacted microsoft and doesnt seem to be w8 on the herizon any time soon..

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    Anyone else notice it boots a bit slower or is it just me?
    It boots hella slow when you got ycruncher in the bg loading up all your ram.
    But otherwise it seems somewhat normal, it might be a little slower though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    AFAIK it isnt even windows 8, just a updated and enchanced windows 7.. I've contacted microsoft and doesnt seem to be w8 on the herizon any time soon..
    Lol, the ms reps aren't the brightest of the bunch I hope you know that .
    Supposedly if you bug them enough they will give you a free key for win7, a cousin of mine in TN did that ^^.
    Besides, why would you do that anyways ???, you trying to get me in trouble :P, just messing..., still..., you did note what it says on the desktop right? ^^, it says not to disclose info about it and etc...

It's really win8, I'm 100% sure of it .
    The wallpaper might not be ms's, but then again it might.

Some things I notcied on my last run.
    Giant freaking button for the windows (not cool...).
    Titlebar text is now centered (cool...).
    Taskbar and desktop is very buggy, but it was buggy in win7 anyways.

uxsms service is gone, and theme service doesn't seem to need to be running for full on theme support.
    It's odd I know, I'll check into that more.

The stuff poeple are saying about the avatar being able to use video's is a lie, at least in M1 you can't do that.
    You might beable to use gif's, but you certainly cannot use wmv's.

The taskbar properties, that dialog was dumbed down.
    But so far I don't think anything is missing out of it.

From the screenshot I posted above you can see that the avatar thing in the taskbar's corner can be disabled, which is cool.
    I'de hate to get stuck with that on...

The new status bar in explorer...
    That's part of the layout bar crap.
    The real statusbar was removed!!!
    I'm not sure if that's a big prob or not, doesn't seem like it.
    customizing it would be a priority though if you one to get rid of the layout bar, because most of it's options have to deal with that bar, the only other options on it are thumbnail view and details view.

There's a couple other small things but nothing worth mentioning yet.
    The giant min/restore and close buttons are lame though.

My impression so far, note this is milestone 1, so it's nowhere near complete.
    I think the os sucks.
    I prefer win7, but I think the service config is neat in win8, I might rip a few files from it to use on win7 to shorten up my task list for themes and stuff like that.

One other note, thin taskbar bug for the 2 sides of the screen, that bug still works.
    That's a good thing...
    It's a little different on how you activate the bug but it's still there.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 04-19-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry for double post ^^.

Here's some more screeny's:

Shows taskbar properties and desktop text bug (<- seems to come from autohide enabling then disabling, refreshing desktop fixes it).
    The taskbar ava has a similar bug but I don't know how it happens.
    Also note half width taskbar bug is alot easier to active, just enable autohide and disable it again and there you go (sweet...).

This is what you get when you left click on your avatar in the taskbar.
    The big window in the bg is My Settings, the other windows in front of that is My Look.

Showing the taskmgr, proccess, the defaults.

Enabling sidebar, tried to do the same on my os and I must have something screwed up right now because I can't (odd...).
    Anyways explorer seems smaller, if I remember right win7's explorer is around 16megs without wallpapers or video's loaded up by it, I can't be for sure at the moment though.
    Sucks you still need the sidebar exe to run html windows on the desktop...

Shows the new little button beside the url bar thingy in explorer.
    Now there's no need for customization..., lol, it's true...
    The button on the new status bar thing are as follows, left to right:
    Details view.
    Large thumbnail view? (I think, not 100% sure, it's thumbs anyways).
    Hide both details and preview pane.
    Show details pane.
    Show preview pane.
    (Pretty much useless stuff...)

If you pay close attention you'll notice the window close min and restore buttons are huge...
    1st I thought ..., but it's probably to make things easier for touch screens.
    Since it's not resizable it looks pretty lame, being that it's hardset in the theme...

It's also not 64bit btw.
    This might indicate that both a 32 and 64bit ver will come out when it's gone gold.
    But then again they may trash the 32bit just before that, who knows.
    At the moment though, 32bit is still around.
    I don't have 4 or 8gigs of ram so I wasn't able to see how much it was licensed for...

I'm gonna try to get it activated later on.
    Right now I can tell it's only meant for internal use, it's checking for a key right away and within a few mins of installing it, it brings up that desktop text with the win ver.
    Since it's a vlm copy, it's a 3day, not 30.
    And since it's not activated, every time I start it up, she reverts to the basic theme instead of the aero.

I'm not runnign anythign big in the bg, so she started quickly.
    Seems a bit quicker then the norm too.
    By only a few secs though.
    Seemed more like xp/2k3 in that respect, I'de have to install it on real hardware to know for sure.

I still have to check for pdf, and iso mounting support.
    Iso mounting support is already in win7 though with the cmd line anyways so it's not really a big deal or not to me if they added the context menu support for it.
    Etc etc.

Edit:

More infos:
    http://www.win7china.com/category/59.html

I kinda wish that I didn't toss out my chinese src...
    Because I wonder if they have m2, or if it's the russians that have it.
    Regardless I don't have access to m2 at the moment.

One more edit:
    Explorer in win8 is no smaller then win7's explorer.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 04-20-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    This is the info on the Ultimate build of M2:

BUILD: 7955.0.110228-1930
    6.2.7955.0.fbl_srv_wdacxml.110228-1930_x86fre_client-ultimate_en-us.iso
    SIZE: 2,657,079,296 bytes
    MD5: 40861A02CB14B0D2D7930910DB6CC6E4
    SHA1: 23C5A856A9D93E7957ACC36CA9FA38F46A3783F8

I'll post more later.
    I'm dl'ing some anime right now and then I'll get this, but before I get this I need to do some work on my motherboard.
    So I won't get this new build of windows until tomorrow morning probably.

It sucks it's not enterprise but ultimate is fine, it's not a final anyways so no biggy, at least it's not a lower end build then ultimate.

Edit:

And btw I dare you to say it's fake, it'll make my day lol when I post screens , just playing.
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 04-27-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast