Thread: Little bird told me that most SNB ULV's will have less powerfull GPU's than HD6310

Xtreme Mentor

Little bird told me that most SNB ULV's will have less powerfull GPU's than HD6310

Well i am surprised to hear this partly because turbo is suppose to be on hyper setting in the ULV's but a colleague told me that the new Intel SNB based ULV's will have less of a punch as compared to HD6310. This seems like a good to know point so i posted it here.

Source-Little Bird who was angry at the time.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    Personally I don't see the big deal. I want a the 2649 and the graphics capabilities is the least of my concerns. The less additional power being sucked up unwanted components the better.

Now I do strongly believe there exists a segment who want the best power management possible while getting the best graphics performance possible but I don't see how an integrated solution (even the ones as good as AMD's) is supposed to do that better than a dedicated GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Well i am surprised to hear this partly because turbo is suppose to be on hyper setting in the ULV's but a colleague told me that the new Intel SNB based ULV's will have less of a punch as compared to HD6310. This seems like a good to know point so i posted it here.

the standard SB is weaker than the amd IGP so how would it have more than amd APU on an ultra low volt part
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the standard SB is weaker than the amd IGP so how would it have more than amd APU on an ultra low volt part
    Manufacturing process would be a factor. 32nm vs 40nm.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict

but AMD is missing portfolio to fight the ULV series. Perhaps the 6310 gpu is faster as you mention, then 6380M or 6480M from the LIano series will be much more powerfull but none of those have been optimised for lower Wattage.

So either AMD has to bump bobcat core speed, or finetune/speedbine the Liano for lower power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Addict

Who cares about ULV models when regular i5-2520m (Asus K53E) have web/movie battery life comparable to E-350 based notebook (assuming much smaller screen size in dm1z) while maintains 2x higher GPU perf and 3x higher CPU perf.
    http://techreport.com/articles.x/20680/8

Xtreme Addict
    I have a Core2 ULV and get 10 hours of battery life on my laptop, and I love it. There is totally a market for this product.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    Who cares about ULV models when regular i5-2520m (Asus K53E) have web/movie battery life comparable to E-350 based notebook (assuming much smaller screen size in dm1z) while maintains 2x higher GPU perf and 3x higher CPU perf.
    the powerconsumption is really indeed awesome, you should be happy we are now evolving to much longer of active laptop life for sure on the ULV. nice that you mention the gpu performance, i am sure you will never mention the gpu perf again within 2 months on any intel mobile platform when it is not combined with a dGPU

besides the 200$ price difference and different market positioning against the HP dm1z you are right about the battery life, but here is the answer http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/27840/
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Mentor
    I am getting super confused because i have not been in the loop with the SNB development. I was thinking that all mobile SNB's have 12EU based GPU's aka HD Graphics 3000 if the ULV's have HD Graphics 2000 than this is a flop thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    K53E is 15.6" with a Optical Drive and 5200 mAh 56 Whrs battery, oh and its 2.60Kg. Its clearly not of the same segment pitch in a 12" SNB machine than it would be more of a fair fight but the SNB would win hands down. For comparison the DM1Z is 11.6" with 4770 mAh 55 Wh battery and is 1.6Kg with similar battery life to the SNB based laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by duploxxx View Post
    but AMD is missing portfolio to fight the ULV series. Perhaps the 6310 gpu is faster as you mention, then 6380M or 6480M from the LIano series will be much more powerfull but none of those have been optimised for lower Wattage.

So either AMD has to bump bobcat core speed, or finetune/speedbine the Liano for lower power.
    Yes it is but its not a huge loose, maybe faster bobcat's will come i dont know but the fact remains that for a normal days work pair of bobcats dont do bad. The ULV will no doubt break Zacate apart but if you want some thing CPU intensive done why would you buy ULV or Zacate instead of the normal SNB.

Zacate is the closest thing AMD has to go against the new ULV's. The situation is far from fair, as i had wrote long time back AMD - CPU bad GPU good and Intel - CPU good GPU bad in comparison, that was intended for llano vs SNB but would work in ULV vs Zacate also.

From what i know ULV's will come out in 2-3 preferred sizes 11.6", 12" and 13". The 11.6" and 12" are sizes i expect Zacate to be mature in when SNB ULV's come. I further expect a boost from the GPU compute in encoding/decoding situations to free up the Bobcats as much as possible. I have asked people about it in the AMD section lets see if anyone try's it....
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    I know forum posters (in another forum) who assumed that ULV Sandy Bridge models could make much use of their GPU turbo range. Back then I said, that there won't be enough TDP headroom for that.

BTW here is one of the first reviews of an ULV SB notebook, also comparing it to an E-350 model: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/28/s...laptop-review/

One of the E-350's "problems" (it's not supposed to compete with much more expensive ULV SB) is a missing CPU core turbo. This was actually prepared (core performance boost present for 14h CPU models = Bobcat), but will only come to market later this year. AMD simply didn't see a use for this or didn't verify it fast enough for availability in January.
    Now on Twitter: @Dresdenboy!
    Blog: http://citavia.blog.de/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by duploxxx View Post
    the powerconsumption is really indeed awesome, you should be happy we are now evolving to much longer of active laptop life for sure on the ULV. nice that you mention the gpu performance, i am sure you will never mention the gpu perf again within 2 months on any intel mobile platform when it is not combined with a dGPU
    Depends on what you mean under "active laptop life". You will not get much more battery life from ULV in web/video tasks (like in the case with Arrandales). In more demanding tasks ULV will consume less energy but it will take for it longer time to complete the task then for regular SB, so it is not clear who will win. Again, like in the case with Arrandales - there is not much value in ULVs.

besides the 200$ price difference and different market positioning against the HP dm1z you are right about the battery life, but here is the answer http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/27840/
    Well, there are plenty of 15.6 notebooks with E-350 out there (with the price tag around $400). At this price point it is already possible to find something with i3-370 and to get almost the same GPU perf and 2-2.5x higher CPU perf. (Dell now offers 14" Inspiron with I3-380M for $400). SB has a higher price point but with with less then 2x systems price diff you get 3x higher CPU perf.
    Regarding your link - well, this is AMD's propaganda again. Reminds me theirs comparison between Brazos and i5. I hardly believe SB quad core will lag in video playback.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev
    K53E is 15.6" with a Optical Drive and 5200 mAh 56 Whrs battery, oh and its 2.60Kg. Its clearly not of the same segment pitch in a 12" SNB machine than it would be more of a fair fight but the SNB would win hands down. For comparison the DM1Z is 11.6" with 4770 mAh 55 Wh battery and is 1.6Kg with similar battery life to the SNB based laptop.
    Well, you can find 13.3 inch Toshiba with i3-2310M for around $830. Yep, it is twice of the dm1z price but for this price you will get more RAM, larger HDD, DVD drive and bigger battery at the same weight. BTW, try to configure dm1z similar to this one (on HP site) and you will get $700 price tag. Any way, my point is that you don't need SB ULV for small and light notebooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenboy View Post
    I know forum posters (in another forum) who assumed that ULV Sandy Bridge models could make much use of their GPU turbo range. Back then I said, that there won't be enough TDP headroom for that.

BTW here is one of the first reviews of an ULV SB notebook, also comparing it to an E-350 model: http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/28/s...laptop-review/

One of the E-350's "problems" (it's not supposed to compete with much more expensive ULV SB) is a missing CPU core turbo. This was actually prepared (core performance boost present for 14h CPU models = Bobcat), but will only come to market later this year. AMD simply didn't see a use for this or didn't verify it fast enough for availability in January.
    amd is targeting internet and video users with the zakate, so they dont really care about the cpu since it can all media encoding in the GPU with DX shaders, OCL and UVD. i cannot think of anything that u need the faster cpu for anymore once u have 2 cores and 1.6-1.8ghz and a gpu in the low watt range when u are not doing transcoding (that can be done on the gpu) or doing real games or workstation stuff but thats not the target.

intel is missing the point of the media laptop and they are just building cpu but they really need a gpu with dx shaders so it can decode things that are not hard coded that way u dont need much cpu.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    I am getting super confused because i have not been in the loop with the SNB development. I was thinking that all mobile SNB's have 12EU based GPU's aka HD Graphics 3000 if the ULV's have HD Graphics 2000 than this is a flop thread.
    ULV models has HD3000 series, but GPU clocks is much lower than 35w models

You can see the specs of ULV models from this website
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/i...bile-landscape

The base clock speed is 350MHz, but the GPU turbo can go to 900MHz or 1000MHz depending on the model

While i5-2520M which was tested by techreport has clock speed of 650MHz and turbo is 1300MHz