Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: [Skinnee Labs] The TIM Thread...

Xtreme Guru
    BTW, by which criteria you decide that those alternatives are rebrands? It looks similar / similar consistency / similar thermal results in yet unreleased tests? Or vendors have posted info that it's rebranded, or similar specs/charts that look like came from same source?

Admin
    Everything about GC-Extreme and HeGrease is identical...starting with the paste itself: the color, the glossiness, how it spreads, and its behavior in non-thermal tests (adhesion to and absorbency with certain materials). Then from there the syringes are completely identical (same model numbers), including how much they're filled and the paper used on the label (it's uniquely thick). While I don't usually consider specs, it is interesting when they don't differ at all. Basically, I can't find any difference between GC-Exteme and HeGrease no matter what I do...and the non-thermal tests I have can tell every other paste apart that I've tested so far (except Frostbite/TMP-1000 [which the thermal tests couldn't tell apart] and CF3/PK-1). Add to that Phobya's recent tendency to be a branding house and there's still no stitch of evidence they're different with a lot of evidence they're the same.

With Scythe Thermal Elixer, the syringe, how much it's filled, the paper used on the label, the color, the consistency, and the glossiness are all the same. I quickly did some of the non-thermal tests and couldn't tell them apart but I honestly didn't do the tests as carefully as I did with GC-Extreme. Of note, the specs are different and the Scythe stock photo of a Thermal Elixer syringe does differ from what I have (but what I have matches retailers who do not use the stock photo). I just checked NewEgg and it seems Thermal Elixer is deactivated, which is interesting.

Thermal tests will be the most telling tests, but in the absence of those (7.5days per paste and other pastes interest me much more) there's zero indication GC-Extreme is different (so much so that I'm willing to say they're the same) and it does look like Thermal Elixer is a good candidate to be the same as well.

As an aside, why didn't Scythe spell elixir correctly?

Xtreme Guru
    .. probably correct word might be trademarked/copyrighted name somewhere for something by someone. Result sounds like some rebok/ribook and alike chinese sport footwear products though
    I wonder though which from those brands is origin vendor one. Phobya always seemed to me rather reseller/rebrander firm instead of someone with specialization and expertize to develop something from scratch.

Xtreme Addict
    Quick question:
    What's the best way to keep thermal paste after using it?
    I mean, I'm going to buy a 5gr tube because it's far cheaper, but it only makes sense if I can keep the paste ok for a long time.
    Is this possible (in the fridge, for example) or should I just buy a small tube?
    Thanks!

Xtreme Member
    After three to four years, its best to toss the tube as the compounds will begin to settle and seperate. The tubes will come with little caps that you can put back on when you are finished. Just put it in a drawer for safe keeping. No need for fridge or anything special. 5g is not a lot to begin with and I cant imagine that you could save any real money on getting a smaller ammount if you are talking about a quality TIM. It never hurts to have extra on hand, even if you dont remount your CPU often. There may come a reason where you are forced too (such as your mobo goes bad) or you find a great deal on building another rig. You will go through the 5g tube in just a few mounts/remounts.
    Last edited by Captain_Harlock; 09-26-2011 at 06:27 AM.
    At Xtremesystems.org we don't help you save money on your cooling gear, instead we try to make you feel better about the insane ammount you've spent.

Banned
    yes 5g is not a lot...
    try mx2 65g 30€
    best quality/price

Xtreme Guru
    kroks: in russia once popular paste КПТ-8 can be bought in kilograms. You won't beat price/performany of that ever

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks guys!
    I think I'll buy a 5gr tube of Prolimatech PK-1. After lapping the CPU I'll re-seat the VRM/chipset heat sinks.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maņo View Post
    Thanks guys!
    I think I'll buy a 5gr tube of Prolimatech PK-1. After lapping the CPU I'll re-seat the VRM/chipset heat sinks.
    Good luck!

Post your results as I have had nothing but headaches with this stuff.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

I am Addicted!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Good luck!

Post your results as I have had nothing but headaches with this stuff.

-PB
    I just read your thread; makes me feel like I made a mistake. I just ordered some today. I have tried the tim that came with my megahalems (rev. b) but does not specify if its pk1. The non specified tim gave me poor results; so I went back to AS5. I have always had really good results with AS5, but my latest batch is thinner than some older stuff and I am not so sure it works quite as well, but definitely better than the prolimatech tim.
    Hopefully the specified PK-1 will give me results similar to what Vapor has shown. will see. If it gives me the same crappy results as the non-specified prolimatech tim; it will be back to the drawing board or stick with my trusty AS5.
    I will post back my findings and opinion.
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - May 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Admin
    I still really doubt PK-1 (or really anything designed to be thermally conductive) can be that bad without some sort of massive issue with contact or user error. As I said in his thread, it performed 20x worse than it should have, which is absurd when you consider the difference with Poor Contact between best (Phobya HeGrease and Shin-Etsu X23-7783D, ~74C) and worse paste (Nexus TMP-1000 and EVGA Frostbite, ~95C) has just a factor of 5-6x (depending what you consider 'perfect'--I chose 69.5C, half a degree better than the best IX mount on any contact). I wouldn't expect any sort of batch discrepancies to have a performance difference of more than 2x (which is already pretty huge, TBH, look at the ~2x discrepancy in MX-3 batches).

If it got that much better by only switching to AS5 (which isn't even good [in fact, it's very, very bad with not-so-great contact]), then Prolimatech has a serious problem on their hands with a recent batch of PK-1.

Tuniq TX-2 and TX-4 review will be up later today, then this thread updated by tonight, hopefully. TX-3 was not included due to availability and apparent batch issues (not sure I had enough to do 15 mounts; bulk of what I have is from a dry batch, unable to procure more TX-3 let alone 'normal' batch TX-3).

Alphacool Silver Grease, Dimastech HTX-EE, and XSPC K2 are getting tested now

Xtreme Member
    I've never used a "bad" TIM before. Quite often is the case that the next one I try is better than the last, but never been a bad one. IX has been the best to me in the past, but price vs limited use made me move to CLU and I havent looked back. But when alumnum blocks get called into play (such as chipsets and fets), I try to stick with Shin Etsu (that spelled correctly?). Point is, this, while I try to always use the big names in the TIM world, I would use a cheape one without worry as Ive yet to see even noname white goop be so bad that it cant be used. But I am a clean junkie and spend a good deal of time with arctic clean and lots of elbow grease plus I always go for maximum pressure with all of my mounts.

So if you can save some cash with a lesser TIM, and put it toward a better part then do so. But if you can afford a better TIM, you will not be disapointed at the results. As far as the issues that Vapor has found between batches of different TIM's I consider myself very lucky on that front. Again, I've never had a "bad" TIM o should I say the I've never had a TIM that was so poor in its ability that I would toss it.
    At Xtremesystems.org we don't help you save money on your cooling gear, instead we try to make you feel better about the insane ammount you've spent.

Xtreme Addict
    I have a brand new GTX 480 and a brand new EK block on their way, should be here within a few days, will test with PK-1 and finally put my issues to bed I hope!

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    I've MADE TIMs better than a few of these faileds, and I'm no chemical engineer. Never touched even AS5, but at least it was fun.

Still got some stuff in the lab here if you're interested, though I don't think it's anything too surprising. My next one should be, but that'll take a bit to get worked out.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the scientific approach to this, and I look forward to seeing more!

Admin
    First post updated with Tuniq TX-2 and TX-4 results added

Not really a fan of either....TX-2 is a middle of the pack performer that's more expensive per mount than PK-1 while TX-4 is very good but has a very premium price at $3-4 per mount (much more than PK-1, HeGrease, Gelid GC-Extreme, TR CF3) and also has batch variance issues (drying issues).

Also detailed the queue more

For the lazy who don't want to go back to the first post, here's the two most pertinent charts (IMO)...

Average temperature weighted for overall performance impression:

And average temperature weighted for typical CPU mounting:

As I said a few posts up, Alphacool Silver Grease (already failed with Poor Contact and smells like motor oil), Dimastech HTX-EE, and XSPC K2 are in testing now

I am Xtreme
    gcx and chillfactor3

i wonder how would that copper grease rank in your graphs

Xtreme Addict

Parts from PPCS finally arrived!

I can finally get to test this with brand new everything this afternoon to see if my results are component or radiator based.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-

Xtreme Member
    Anymore updates on this?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_Seraphi View Post
    Anymore updates on this?
    混沌とした アンモラル

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345