Thread: LIttle help with choosing parts

Xtreme Enthusiast

LIttle help with choosing parts

Ok, I've watercooled before but not for years and I went for an external and extremely messy setup of enheim 1250 I think submerged in a cheapo plastic tub, couple cheap prototype rad's I got from forums but some decent blocks always got good temps with 2x120mm rads(back when the gpu wasn't adding that much heat to a loop). Making another external setup, probably in a wooden rad box, maybe cut up a small case to mount it all into.

I'm mostly looking for,quiet, decent overclocks, and I'm not going to spend £800 just to make it absolutely silent, just as reasonably quiet as you can get without driving yourself mad if you know what I mean.

What I wanted to ask was, how much is overkill in terms of rad size for a certain amount of cooling. At the moment its a quad phenom decent voltage just under 4Ghz, a 6950, but in the future at various times it will almost certainly be in an xfire setup so it needs to deal with 2 high end overclocked gpu's and also likely a Bulldozer in not too long.

Is 2 360mm rads, maybe MCR320's more than enough, would a third rad make a noticeable difference, planning on low fan speeds, 600-1200rpm, depends what ends up being hearable. Its not likely to end up too far from the computer, a metre at most I'd think and I'm considering quick connects for separating case from radbox though the biggest Koolance ones aren't killing flow much anyway?

Would 3x360mm rads be complete overkill even with silent fans or just about right for a xfire setup, my room tends to get pretty dang toasty in summer(south facing flat roof, side wall gets sun for half the day, hot water tank) so half the reason for the radbox is to be able to send hot air up the chimney or maybe out the window.

Would a D5 be more than enough pump for 3 rads and up to 3 waterblocks, would 2 d5's on lower speed potentially be a better idea for a bit of redundancy aswell?

Also anyone know whats seen as the best value rads in the UK(or cheap delivery to the uk)? Swiftechs at US pricing seemed the obvious choice but they aren't cheap in the UK. Would 2x480mm's end up better value/cooling/flow, or are 140mm rads maybe a better idea?

As for the D5 variable, is it a case of they are all identical no matter if its a koolance, or a swiftech or whatever else unless they come with one of the custom tops?

Lastly, I've seen skinneelabs review that puts the MCW60 gpu block as pretty damn competitive, I have a rev 1 version though, were there any big changes between rev 1 and 2 as I'm sure I would have had a rev 1. I still have mine lying around so could easily reuse that unless its completely outdated/outclassed by now.

Sorry for the long post.

EDIT:- lol, I used to post here a lot but I guess not so much since I stopped watercooling, my sig is a touch out of date :p
    Mail Me | 3500+ , dfi sli-dr, g-skill la, 2x6800gt, 600w pcz, stacker case, air cooled

Xtreme Member
    I remember you... You and I are kinda' in the same boat in that we've been away for a long time. And are back to build new rigs. I haven't seen really any good testing on the quads or the 140's. But "Skinnee labs" has done some nice work on various 120.3 rads. You can figure the difference in area of the rads and get a reasonable idea as to what they will dissipate. Say a known triple to an untested quad of the same make/model add 33%. Not very accurate at all of course. But should give you something of an idea. http://skinneelabs.com/triple-radiator-comparison-v2/ I too am getting a loop ready for Bulldozer. (I hope.) Anyways I have 2 classic PA120.3's and 2 mcp655 pumps I plan to run in a cpu only loop. Overkill? I seriously doubt it. Utnorris runs three pa120.3's on his cpu and gfx I think with a single D5 or mcp655 pump.. He said it was a bit overkill.. Hmmm.... Wish I knew more about the details of that. I'll have to ask him when I get a chance..

Anyways I bought one of these big cases,so I don't really have plan anything too carefully.

So say maybe if I need more cool.. Perhaps some tecs in the distant future.. I can always just slide in an extra quad or two underneath. . Then I can still add 3 more 15mm triples. (Though I would rather just add another pedestal .LOL.)

Hopefully that link helped... Sorry about the rambling. LOL...
    Best to you.. G'Luck..
    Last edited by Clay; 03-29-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..